Model help: Airbrushing

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Model help: Airbrushing

Post by Knight2000 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:57 pm

I've worked on my KITT model over the xmas hols. Everything's pretty much done except for the shell/bonnet/nose/wheels/rear bumper all of which need to be painted.

I decided to invest in an airbrush+propellant+thinner. I plan to start practising on some cardboard etc tomorrow, with the aim of a first coat on Weds.

Since I've never done this before, are there any hints and tips you guys can offer?

If all works well, I hope to have my model complete for the monday bank holiday.

Cheers :lol:

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Re: Model help: Airbrushing

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:50 pm

Knight2000 wrote:I plan to start practising on some cardboard etc tomorrow
Cardboard is not the same material that is used on plastic model kits. If you have another car kit that is not of importance to you, use the car's shell as a practice run. Or buy any cheap car kit in a hobby store and practice on that first, doesn't matter what car model.

Don't forget to wash the part to be painted with soap and water to remove oil residue from the factory. Other modeler's apply primer first before painting. It's up to you. :)

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Re: Model help: Airbrushing

Post by Knight2000 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:03 am

HondaSiR wrote: Cardboard is not the same material that is used on plastic model kits. If you have another car kit that is not of importance to you, use the car's shell as a practice run. Or buy any cheap car kit in a hobby store and practice on that first, doesn't matter what car model.
Yeah I know but it's more for practising using the airbrush, getting used to it etc, rather than practising airbrushing the model.

Cheers for the help

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Post by HungarianKnight » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:49 pm

One thing which I learned is that firstly, you must clean all parts. Everything shoulkd be clean, dry and smooth. After that, you should "fog" the surface (I don't know if that's the right word in English, in Hungarian, it means that a very thin layer, not covering every part should be put up, with a few strokes with the sprayer). After the "fogging" dries, you should start the real thing, that means, two or three layers, covering every part of the surface.

Oh, and another thing! :!: Be avare that some paints dissolve plastic! Before you start painting, test the paint with an unnecesarry piece of the plastic (for example the frame from which you twist/cut the parts) :!:

I hope I could give you some help. I wish you a good job with your Kitt!

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:41 pm

Cheers for help.

I did a test with the airbrush, getting used to it plus the propellant.

The propellant canister turns ice-cold very quickly.

Learned how to control the flow of paint etc.

Only problem is I'm pretty much out of glossy black (this is from a small 17ml bottle that I used back in Xmas to paint the parts of KITT with) so I'm heading into town tomorrow to get some decent black glossy paint, and maybe some clear gloss.

I've also heard that car (automative) paint is just as good for painting car models as KITT with? Is this true? Because I could have saved a lot of money had I gone to a garage and got a half-used paint can.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:46 am

Knight2000 wrote:I've also heard that car (automative) paint is just as good for painting car models as KITT with? Is this true? Because I could have saved a lot of money had I gone to a garage and got a half-used paint can.
It is possible to use automotive paint but as HungarianKnight mentioned, some paints dissolve plastic so be careful. I myself have never tried it before so if you succeed in this endeavor, share the results and pics with us. :)

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:35 am

I'm highly tempted to use car paint instead.

I tried airbrushing but the brush keeps jamming up or something. Every five mins I have to rinse out the tip with thinner.

In two days, I've managed to run out of thinner, compressed propellant (750ml can!) and patience. :evil:

And my model still hasn't had a full first coat!!!