KR stuff on Law and Order

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KR stuff on Law and Order

Post by LadyV2000 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:58 am

I was watching Law and Order SVU last night when I noticed in the one scene where they were at this guys apartment that the guy had some Knight Rider memorabilia. He had the ERTL K.I.T.T, the Michael Knight T-shirt and a signed picture of David. The only bad thing is that the guy was a pervert that they thought kidnaped and raped this girl. :?
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

MIKEMAC
FLAG Recruit

Post by MIKEMAC » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:26 am

Damn you beat me to it! :twisted: , yea Ice-T and his partner (Munch) go to this suspects house and he buys stuff online that was like Ebay but not for "rare special stuf" and sure enought I saw Kitt and freaked out!!!, hell yea kitt is rare cause still to this day you cannot buy Kitt in stores only online. I thought I was a jacket and not a shirt, oh well. The coolest thing was when John Munch picked up kitt and goes "Nice Stuff". :D
**true happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth**
Please check out my Knight Rider site at
http://www.knightriderforever.tk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:19 pm

I don't watch "Law & Order" series much, so I missed it. I gotta wait for the rerun.
If you don't make a difference, you are not the Knight Rider.

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:37 pm

MIKEMAC wrote:Damn you beat me to it! :twisted: , yea Ice-T and his partner (Munch) go to this suspects house and he buys stuff online that was like Ebay but not for "rare special stuf" and sure enought I saw Kitt and freaked out!!!, hell yea kitt is rare cause still to this day you cannot buy Kitt in stores only online. I thought I was a jacket and not a shirt, oh well. The coolest thing was when John Munch picked up kitt and goes "Nice Stuff". :D
Hmm...maybe it was a jacket, I wasn't reallly paying attention. i was just excited to see Knight Rider stuff on prime time. My mom pissed me off though because she said to me "Look at the kind of people that like the weird stuff you do." How rude! :evil: :roll:

MIKEMAC
FLAG Recruit

Post by MIKEMAC » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:45 pm

LadyV2000 wrote:
MIKEMAC wrote:Damn you beat me to it! :twisted: , yea Ice-T and his partner (Munch) go to this suspects house and he buys stuff online that was like Ebay but not for "rare special stuf" and sure enought I saw Kitt and freaked out!!!, hell yea kitt is rare cause still to this day you cannot buy Kitt in stores only online. I thought I was a jacket and not a shirt, oh well. The coolest thing was when John Munch picked up kitt and goes "Nice Stuff". :D
Hmm...maybe it was a jacket, I wasn't reallly paying attention. i was just excited to see Knight Rider stuff on prime time. My mom pissed me off though because she said to me "Look at the kind of people that like the weird stuff you do." How rude! :evil: :roll:

That was rude! :evil: , but maybe she is a closet Knight Rider fan and she would never tell you. :twisted:
**true happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth**
Please check out my Knight Rider site at
http://www.knightriderforever.tk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:53 pm

MIKEMAC wrote:
LadyV2000 wrote:

That was rude! :evil: , but maybe she is a closet Knight Rider fan and she would never tell you. :twisted:
Haha! that would be hysterical if she was, but alas my mother is only into drama and romance stuff. BORING! Although when I first got my DVD set she did watch a few episodes with me. Hmm... :?:

kitt-x
Rookie

Post by kitt-x » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:48 pm

That is actually a nice display of stereotyping by the writers and an insult to the fandom.
:roll:
Just as assuming that every star trek fan lives in their parent's basement and never kissed a girl is a broad stereotype.

kittfan69
Recruit

Post by kittfan69 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Wow, it's too bad I chose to change the channel last night! I think the fever may be spreading! (Thank God)!

Knight 52
Volunteer

Post by Knight 52 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:32 pm

:) I believe there was a jacket in that scene with Munch and Finn.

I did see the picture and the Ertl Kitt.

Knight 52

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:16 pm

kitt-x wrote:That is actually a nice display of stereotyping by the writers and an insult to the fandom.
My sentiments exactly.

chrisebourg
Operative

Re: KR stuff on Law and Order

Post by chrisebourg » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:44 pm

LadyV2000 wrote:I was watching Law and Order SVU last night when I noticed in the one scene where they were at this guys apartment that the guy had some Knight Rider memorabilia. He had the ERTL K.I.T.T, the Michael Knight T-shirt and a signed picture of David. The only bad thing is that the guy was a pervert that they thought kidnaped and raped this girl. :?
Definately not a KR episode but at least KR fans are everywhere!!! :)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:32 am

The show will air again on USA Network March 20.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:17 pm

If it's gonna air again, I'm gonna have my parents tape it for me. They have satellite service, and I have local stations and my Season 1 DVDs.

Hey, I'm not complaining.
If you don't make a difference, you are not the Knight Rider.

Knight 'n' Day
Recruit

Post by Knight 'n' Day » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:46 am

No one realizes that stereotyping hurts everybody. I am a Star Trek fan as well as a Knight Rider fan and I HAVE KISSED A GIRL! Although, I do live in my parent's basement. Hmm, shutting up now. :lol:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:15 am

I made a clip of the scene.... it's about 40 seconds, 1.7 MB QuickTime:

http://www.teamknightrider.com/culture/lawandorder.mov

knightwalker
Volunteer

Post by knightwalker » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:57 pm

just a little while ago i saw the ep of the simpsons that had "night boat" i love that one. "night boat, the crime solving boat!" "u dont have 2 yell michael, im all around you" "go night boat go!.... i will not have another word against the boat!" n then marge makes them shut the tv off, n they're lookin at a photo album, n theres a pic of them watching night boat, n homer says "aww look, night boat"
n then the part where homer tries 2 become an inventor, n his family got a tape made for him, n it shows KITT driving, then saying something like "hello homer, its me kitt, from knight rider." n all the rest lol. not 2 mention the other KR references.

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:25 pm

knightwalker wrote:just a little while ago i saw the ep of the simpsons that had "night boat" i love that one. "night boat, the crime solving boat!" "u dont have 2 yell michael, im all around you" "go night boat go!.... i will not have another word against the boat!" n then marge makes them shut the tv off, n they're lookin at a photo album, n theres a pic of them watching night boat, n homer says "aww look, night boat"
n then the part where homer tries 2 become an inventor, n his family got a tape made for him, n it shows KITT driving, then saying something like "hello homer, its me kitt, from knight rider." n all the rest lol. not 2 mention the other KR references.
I remember the episode where Lisa learned to say her first word. (It was Bart) But I remember when she said that, they all started asking if she could say all these other things and I remeber Bart saying "Lisa, can you say David Hasslehoff" and he held up a TV guide that had K.I.T.T and Michael on it. That episode was pretty funny.

knightwalker
Volunteer

Post by knightwalker » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:27 am

yeah, that was great. "david hass-el-hoff -giggles-" - lisa

Goldwings
Rookie

Post by Goldwings » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:01 am

HondaSiR wrote:
kitt-x wrote:That is actually a nice display of stereotyping by the writers and an insult to the fandom.
My sentiments exactly.
*irritating*

The writers of Law and Order always seem to poke fun at the fandom communities. Did anyone see Law and order CI (Criminal intent) about some lady ripping off loney fanboys of their collector items? She got killed by some vampire fanclub in the end.

Anyone watch that?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:27 am

I'm not so sure the Knight Rider merchandise in that scene was really meant to be recognized. Actually, I don't think anyone who isn't a KR fan would even recognize it at all. I do agree that it's an insult to the fandom but it also wasn't directly referenced or exploited either. The purpose of the scene was to just show that the guy's a weirdo that collects all kinds of various things, not one in particular. We only notice certain things because we're looking for them. I think the scene was being read into too much.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:12 pm

I think the jacket and car are just background props, but the fact that he actually picks of the Hasselhoff photo makes me think they were at least trying to bring smoe attention to it.

And I don't really think of it as insulting. Ignoring any crime the character was suspected of, when the set decorators or whomever needed to fill an apartment with things that a master, expert collector would have, what did they choose? Knight Rider. I like to believe that if they are mocking the show at all, they're doing it with love and I'm oK with that.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:10 pm

Let's look at it from another perspective. What if the script called for a honest working doctor or lawyer and somehow he has an extensive KR collection. The heroes of the show just paid him a visit and asked some questions in relation to another person's crime. Would this scenario make the same impact on KR fans as opposed to the original scenario of the pervert having this collection? Perhaps it would make an impact, but not as negative as the one that was shown. The producers apparantly didn't care if some fans got angry with it, it was their show anyway and they didn't care one bit about KR. They probably thought that KR fans weren't that many anyway so no one will boycott their show.

I'd like to think if they used Baywatch paraphernalia in the scene (like a surfboard, red lifeguard suits, etc.), would they consider doing it? I doubt it since Baywatch lasted longer than KR and more people would likely protest such a scene. Anyway, just my two cents worth guys.. :roll:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:54 pm

Well, I don't think the "honest working doctor" scene would work; the fact that this guy was an avid internet-auction-bidder was critical to the plot. That was the whole point, these weren't supposed to be random items belonging to a well-respected member of the community.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:55 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:the fact that this guy was an avid internet-auction-bidder was critical to the plot. That was the whole point, these weren't supposed to be random items belonging to a well-respected member of the community.
Good point there. The producers could have done better by having a more diverse prop setting...perhaps other collectible items from other TV shows and not just from KR. It's anybody's opinion I guess.