Without Daniels

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Without Daniels

Post by K.I.T.T » Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:34 pm

He has been the voice of the star car since its start in 82, if he had turned
down the role do you think the movie would have went ahead? I think its highly important to try and keep original settings and characters for a motion picture of old tv series classic....but if he didn't
want to be apart of the movie who would you like to see take the part.....i
couldn't see the movie being anything without him on board and shudder to think of anyone in his place but if it had to be anyone i would choose Patrick Stewart.

K.I.T.T

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:36 pm

I think the movie would have gone ahead, even if Daniels hadn't signed on, but we probably wouldn't be as happy with it. I would have actually gone with Brent Spiner. Patrick Stewart probably would have done better as KARR.

knightimmortal

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:44 pm

This question never gets any easier, does it - outside of answering, 'No-one else! It's got to be William Daniels!' If it had to be another voice, it would need to be someone who isn't recognised as another character. Patrick Stewart's voice is too distinctive, I think.

How about someone with a lot of voice-overs on their resume? James Avery, perhaps; better known as the Fresh Prince of Bel Air's uncle (still fresh in my mind, thanks to BBC2's repeats) :?: He has a smooth, deep voice, and isn't tagged because of previous projects (I don't think)

I shall now find myself guilty before a jury of me for the crime of treason. Sorry, Bill, it's purely hypothetical! :shock:

Sarah
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:49 pm

What about John diMaggio as KARR? Bender could be a distant cousin :wink: I recently watched the episode where Bender and Fry are sentenced to a robot asylum after they are involved in a bank robbery - it would have been great to see KARR in a cameo role there :wink:

Sarah

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:58 pm

Whether he likes it or not, William Daniels will always be the voice of THEE talking car. and always the voice of KITT. when i say THEE talking car, its like cars with voice recognition programmes. When people see stuff like that it triggers memories, talking car = knight rider

Like the video clip on the driven website, they do a segment on voice recognition programmes and use KITT as the little joke before and after. thats what i mean.

If he ended up not providing his voice for whatever reason i think the worst thing they could do is to get somebody to try and sound like him. I hate it when people try to pass themselves of as somebody else but you can always tell its not really them. It really doesnt work for me. So getting somebody totally new that doesnt sound like William Daniels would work better for me.

Scott

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:28 pm

Newcastle knight wrote: Like the video clip on the driven website, they do a segment on voice recognition programmes and use KITT as the little joke before and after. thats what i mean.
Stop right there... more info please!
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:23 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:
Newcastle knight wrote: Like the video clip on the driven website, they do a segment on voice recognition programmes and use KITT as the little joke before and after. thats what i mean.
Stop right there... more info please!
Driven is a English car program onChannel 4 TV..and sometime ago they featured someones K.I.T.T....was it Mark from Marks Custom KITTS??? or Steve from Knights Of England( Help on that anyone??)
I have tryed to find the site but can't..do you know it Scott???

K.I.T.T

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:56 pm

Course i do Nick :lol: Ive posted this clip before but nobody seemed to take any notice !

It is, well was Steve's car, the KOE founder, now it belongs to another guy called Steve. This was before he added any major conversion parts like the front nose and dash, but Mike B (the presenter) looks the part with his hasselhoff wig on ! lol

KITT is on right at the start for a bit, then you have to watch like 5 minutes of car gizmo stuff, then KITT is on again at the end. I dont like watching this clip online and dont know a way of downloading it, most people here are computer whiz's so if you know a way i can get this clip saved onto my hardrive then it would be much appreciated :)

http://www.4car.co.uk/special/videozone ... l%20Gismos

you have to click where it says technical gizmo's above the paragraph of text to start the video, enjoy !

Scott
Last edited by Newcastle knight on Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:59 pm

Cheers Scott!!..i was looking at 4car.co.uk as well...huhh :x

K.I.T.T :D

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:31 am

knightimmortal wrote:I think the movie would have gone ahead, even if Daniels hadn't signed on, but we probably wouldn't be as happy with it. I would have actually gone with Brent Spiner. Patrick Stewart probably would have done better as KARR.

knightimmortal
Yeah, Brent Spiner has had a lot of experience acting as an android, so he would be perfect as KITT's replacement. And I can just imagine Stewart taking the place of KARR. He is one damn good actor.

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:28 pm

I always wondered how it would be to have Arnold Schwarzenegger be the voice of Kitt. :lol: Now theres a thought...LOL

Leanne
Volunteer

Post by Leanne » Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:40 pm

If there were no William Daniels, then I wouldn't even be interested in watching the movie. Him and the Trans Am are what makes KITT, and KITT is my favorite part of the whole show. Without him, it just wouldn't be the same...it wouldn't be Knight Rider. :roll:

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:27 pm

Michael: Oh KITT, I think that blow to the head gave me a tumor.

KITT: It's not a tooo-mahhh!

-Scott

Centaurus17 wrote:I always wondered how it would be to have Arnold Schwarzenegger be the voice of Kitt. :lol: Now theres a thought...LOL

BabsBunny
Rookie

Post by BabsBunny » Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:50 pm

Knight2000 wrote:
knightimmortal wrote:I think the movie would have gone ahead, even if Daniels hadn't signed on, but we probably wouldn't be as happy with it. I would have actually gone with Brent Spiner. Patrick Stewart probably would have done better as KARR.

knightimmortal
Yeah, Brent Spiner has had a lot of experience acting as an android, so he would be perfect as KITT's replacement. And I can just imagine Stewart taking the place of KARR. He is one damn good actor.
It wouldn't be the first time Spiner has filled Daniels' shoes. They both played John Adams in the musical 1776. Daniels was in the original Broadway cast, while Spiner was in the mid/late 1990s Broadway revival!

Babs Bunny

K.A.R.R.
Stranger

Post by K.A.R.R. » Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:11 pm

Nothing Beats Peter Cullen's voice of K.A.R.R. in Trust Doesn't Rust sounded like a cross between his Optimus Prime and Venger voices.

David Kaye was also brilliant as K.A.R.R. in K.I.T.T. Vs K.A.R.R.

K.A.R.R. was alot more sadistic in that episode...

It would be better having an American (.I.E Cullen) or a Canadian (I.E. Kaye) As the voice of K.A.R.R. rather than Patrick Stewart....

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:41 pm

Peter Cullen has sadly passed away. Quite a while back actually.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BabsBunny
Rookie

Post by BabsBunny » Sun Dec 08, 2002 10:38 pm

Peter Cullen isn't dead! I thought it was the OTHER guy who did KARR that died!

Last I heard, Peter Cullen does the voice of Eeyore!

Babs Bunny

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:33 am

Peter Cullen is not dead. That was one of those rumors that got started a long time ago, that was very incorrect.

Paul Frees was the voice of KARR in KITT Vs. KARR.

Paul Frees is the one who passed away.

knightimmortal

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:18 am

K.A.R.R. wrote: David Kaye was also brilliant as K.A.R.R. in K.I.T.T. Vs K.A.R.R.

K.A.R.R. was alot more sadistic in that episode...

It would be better having an American (.I.E Cullen) or a Canadian (I.E. Kaye) As the voice of K.A.R.R. rather than Patrick Stewart....
Wasn't it Paul Frees for K.I.T.T. Vs. K.A.R.R.? :?:

And strangely enough, it has been thought in the past that Kitt was voiced by a British actor. So maybe a crisp British accent would suit the purely hypothetical KARR - most baddies in American flicks are British anyway :wink:

I think accents must just convey something about characters, before you even get to the different tones and inflections. Look at Devon in the series, and, to a lesser and inaccurate extent, Kitt.

Sarah

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:21 am

SadArticle wrote:
Wasn't it Paul Frees for K.I.T.T. Vs. K.A.R.R.? :?:

Sarah
I need to learn how to type faster :wink:

Sarah