Federal Government fines customization companies

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Federal Government fines customization companies

Post by neps » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:31 pm

Thought this was a pretty interesting read, not that it applies necessarily to Knight Rider, but rather the practice of customizing cars. It's also I guess a word of caution for those with later year Firebirds that remove the Airbags in the wheel to put on the Gullwing steering wheel.

Originally from the New York Times:
Custom Rims, Yes; TV in Steering Wheel, No
By DANNY HAKIM

Published: December 30, 2004

DETROIT, Dec. 29 - Pimp the ride, pay the price.

In the first of what is expected to be a broader crackdown against auto customization shops, federal regulators on Wednesday imposed a $16,000 fine on West Coast Customs, the auto body shop affiliated with "Pimp My Ride," an MTV reality show that makes over rundown cars.

Advertisement

The shop, which has customized sport utility vehicles for customers like Shaquille O'Neal, was fined for removing front air bags in cars to install video screens in steering wheels.

Another celebrity shop, Unique Autosports in Uniondale, N.Y., was fined $5,000 for a similar offense. A reality show featuring the shop, to be called "Unique Whips," will be shown on the Speed Channel, a cable automotive channel, in February.

Rae Tyson, a spokesman for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, said the fines were the first of what was expected to be a larger crackdown on car customizers who were disabling safety equipment.

Regulators have noticed that front-seat video screens have become one offshoot of the car customization boom. While the safety agency does not have jurisdiction over installing video monitors in cars and trucks after they have been manufactured, they do have jurisdiction over tampering with safety equipment such as air bags.

"We're actively pursuing several others," Mr. Tyson said, "It's not only a bad idea to disable the air bag, it's against the law. Air bags are there for a purpose, to protect you. If you have a DVD player there instead of an air bag, it's not going to protect you in a crash."

Calls to West Coast Customs, of Inglewood, Calif., were not returned. Will Castro, the proprietor of Unique Autosports, said, "I have no comment."

Mr. Castro has done customization work for stars ranging from the entertainer Jennifer Lopez to the rap artist Eminem, according to a recent news release from the Speed Channel.

Employees of West Coast Customs are regularly featured on "Pimp My Ride" performing automotive miracle work, and seven of them are profiled on MTV's Web site.

Most states have laws against watching televisions in the front seat, though many of the laws have not been updated to include DVD players and other new technologies. New York law prohibits cars from being "equipped with a television receiving set within view of the operator." But an updated California law that took effect in January bans most video functions in the front seat, including DVD players, with the exception of such technologies as navigation systems.

Automakers often install video screens for passengers in the front seat, but only features like navigation systems or stereos can typically be operated while the car is in motion, though the proliferation of electronic controls in luxury cars is also the focus of scrutiny by safety researchers.

"We know that all kinds of distractions can be a problem, but it would be hard to think of something more distracting than watching a video while you're driving," said Anne McCartt, a vice president for research at the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, a group financed by car insurers. "It's a really worrisome trend."

She said swapping an air bag for a video screen was even more disturbing.

"It's taking out a safety device that has proven lifesaving benefits," Ms. McCartt said, "and replacing it with something that could clearly be distracting and potentially dangerous."

In recent years, car customization has becoming a booming business, and TV shows chronicling cool cars and car makeovers have proliferated, including "Overhaulin' " on TLC and "Ride with Funkmaster Flex" on Spike TV. Over the last decade, annual spending on after-market car parts and accessories has doubled to $28.9 billion a year, according to the Specialty Equipment Market Association.

"Pimp My Ride" on MTV - with its host, Alvin Joiner, a Detroit native better known as the rapper Xzibit - is a feel-good show in which 18- to 22-year-olds are invited to submit their dilapidated cars or trucks for a major retrofit by West Coast Customs.

In one episode, for instance, a sad-looking 1989 Ford Mustang was remade to include a photo booth built into the passenger side with a camera in the visor and a printer in the center armrest.

Safety investigators, however, were drawn to West Coast Customs not by something that occurred on the MTV program but by an advertisement on the shop's Web site.

"There's nothing wrong with customization," said Mr. Tyson, of the traffic agency, "as long as you don't disable safety equipment."

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:51 pm

This is also a cautionary tale about bringing too much attention to yourself. Had the shop not been on TV the Feds probably wouldn't have noticed.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:03 pm

But looking at it from the customization shops' point of view, like any other business they may want as much advertising/promoting as they can get. I suppose there's a fine line between good advertising and drawing too much attention to one's self.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:15 pm

You mean that anyone who wants a KITT won't be able to have one, seeing that in order for KITT to have his custom nose, you have to remove a bumper, which counts as a safety device? THAT SUCKS.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:10 pm

Bumpers are safety devices? Didnt Know that. But when you change the bumper, Thats just the cover. The actually bumper is behind the cover. Or if that wont work just cut a opening in the scanner and install the scanner. :lol: Wait! then you would have to cover the scanner with a covering so the damn police wouldnt bust your balls for "trying to replicate a emergency vehicle" Well the steering wheel issue is actually an easy solution. Just find a Firebird/Trans AM without airbags.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:10 am

Don Collie's nose dosesn't require the removal of the factory steel safety bumper.

trooper TK-WHA??
Rookie

Post by trooper TK-WHA?? » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:29 pm

So does this mean that you can't have a KITT dashboard with working monitor(s)?And can you really get ticketed for having a scanner active while driving?Or was that a sarcastic comment that went right over my head?
If only I had a nickel for every time someone cut me off on the parkway and wished for a Turbo-Boost or Micro-jammer...

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:40 pm

trooper TK-WHA?? wrote:So does this mean that you can't have a KITT dashboard with working monitor(s)?And can you really get ticketed for having a scanner active while driving?Or was that a sarcastic comment that went right over my head?
It's true. Well I think it depends on the color of the scanner. Red Lights and red reflectors are supposed to be on the back of a car. Amber and White is the only color that can be on the front.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:01 pm

Yes, I asked the person who sells the parts to a Knight Replica on the Knight Autmotive Site I think it is, he said that a cop can ticket you for the scanner because it is red, a distraction, and you cannot have any red or blue lights on your car. As for the dash, the gullwing steering wheel is illegal but I think some of the l.e.d.'s are legal and the tv dash's. But I know that none of this will stop me from building it! :D

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:29 pm

Cops in NY are serious. You would find the very few police officers that would let you slide. Then when you take your vehicle for inspection you will have to remove the gullwing wheel and some other things so you can pass inspection legally. Well, like me I know a lot of people that does inspection that i can just give them a small donation and have it done.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:45 am

You can have the scanner on the car. Just don't operate it while driving.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:56 am

COPS IN THE CITY SUCK!
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:21 am

i know it sounds unfair but really it isn't. a red light on the front of your car, especially at night can be a distraction and confusing for those in front, and when it's a MOVING red light that makes u look like one of the emergency services!

have a regular steering wheel for when u want to drive KITT as a normal (if u know what i mean) car, and don't have ur monitors on while driving, that's just common safety sense anyway for ANY car that has a screen onboard... hence why i think those navigators shouldn't be allowed either the ones that have a screen, maybe on the passenger side yes but not the ones that are in a position where the driver could use them when they are driving solo.
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

trooper TK-WHA??
Rookie

Post by trooper TK-WHA?? » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:13 pm

Thanks for the insight,folks.This puts things a litte more into perspective.When you're building a replica there's so many options to consider.It comes down to balancing out accuracy,functionality,and cost.Me personally,if I ever had the opportunity to build or have built for me a KITT replica,I'd have a full exterior conversion and an interior conversion with funtional switches and a working monitor(s).I guess to be on the safe side,it would be good to have the monitor(s) easily removable so as to be able to pass inspection.
If only I had a nickel for every time someone cut me off on the parkway and wished for a Turbo-Boost or Micro-jammer...

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:32 pm

you dont have to make them removeable. instead, a lot of in-car monitors (including the ones featured on mtv) turn themselves off when the car is turned on. if your monitors are rigged up in this way it'll pass inspection no probs.
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:29 pm

IDEA!!- PLEXIGLASS. :shock:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:37 am

TurbomanKnight wrote:Cops in NY are serious. You would find the very few police officers that would let you slide. Then when you take your vehicle for inspection you will have to remove the gullwing wheel and some other things so you can pass inspection legally. Well, like me I know a lot of people that does inspection that i can just give them a small donation and have it done.
Yes, New York is a bit on the strict side. Yet if you go to Florida, an inspection isn't even required. That basically means your car could be on the road with no brakes and you won't get fined for it.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:34 pm

I just hope I move down to Florida Soon. I would sure love living in a state without the hassle of inspections. And in Florida you can get some great rates on car insurance. :D
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:59 pm

It totally depends on the state you live in. Here in Pennsylvania I'm pretty sure that KITT's entirely legal. You don't neem a full circle steering wheel, and I've never heard of a pennsylvania cop pulling someone over for the scanner.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:09 pm

I heard that Pennsylvannia is restarting their Safety Inspection Tests. Is that true?
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:45 pm

Yeah, I think so....
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

eatumup
Stranger

Post by eatumup » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:50 pm

cloudkitt wrote:It totally depends on the state you live in.
Thars totally right. Here in cali the screens are alright as long as its not playing video, only navigation or radio funtions. as for the scanner, a red lense is illigal. as far as running an amber one.. im still reasearching that. as far as i can tell it is in that gray area. i asked a fiew chp about the wheel, and they all say that they dont know of any law that requires you to have a round steering wheel. only that the wheel has to be so much wide. as fo the blackout, you must show the red of your lense from 1000 yards away without being illuminated. laws suck. but they are there for a reason.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:16 am

Laws are there for a reason. But when these laws aren't even agreed upon and vary from state to state, it makes me wonder about the decision-making behind them. One state won't allow a red light in the front of a car, another will, etc., etc., etc. If there aren't universal laws for every state in the U.S., then more of this "gray" area in legal knowledge remains. In a way it's always seemed kind of ridiculous to me.

kitt-x
Rookie

Post by kitt-x » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:46 pm

State inspections have always been in place in PA for at least the last 20 years. Red flashing lights on any vehicle other than an approved emergency vehicle are illegal and PA cops will definately pull you over. I do not use the scanner when I am driving my car, no sense in tempting fate. When I get the car inspected I remove the pod unit, gullwing steering wheel and replace it will a round wheel to avoid a hassel.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:59 pm

Wow Mike, that seems like alot of work. Do they have independant inspectors in PA, maybe thats an option. Isn't all your functions tied to your pods, how do you drive without them?