KITT's Voice Box

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

garen
Stranger

KITT's Voice Box

Post by garen » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:27 am

Which episode in season 1 did KITT receive his 3-bar voice box?

-garen

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by 86chvs10 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:11 am

i believe it was around the episode forget me not or hearts of stone.

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:58 pm

Yeah, and the main reason they changed it to that is because people were claiming that the old one was hypotizing them. LOL

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:05 pm

It was Hearts of Stone, and where did you hear that about the old voice box was hypnotizing people?

KI

stevem
Volunteer

Post by stevem » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:18 pm

They changed it to look more like Karr's voicebox after the episode Trust Doesn't Rust. It was just a newer and cooler looking design. You'll also notice that they focus on the voicebox much more often after the change. It was just a better looking and more interesting design.

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:57 pm

knightimmortal wrote:It was Hearts of Stone, and where did you hear that about the old voice box was hypnotizing people?
The novelization of "Trust Doesn't Rust" had Bonnie installing KITT's 3-bar LED voice display on that mission; Michael compliments her, because he felt that the hypnotic effect of the blinking voice-box contributed to the scene in "Knight of the Phoenix" where he falls asleep at the wheel and the cops pull him over.

(For those not familiar, the TDR novel plays with the sequence of events as we saw them on the show, taking place right after KotP instead of a couple months later)

The Real Michael Knight
Operative
Location: Championing the cause of the innocent, the helpess, the powerless

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:37 pm

I think I like the way KARR's three bar lit voice box is better than KITT's barr voice box.

Knicks4973
Operative

Post by Knicks4973 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:59 pm

In KOTP, Michael fell asleep because he was tired, not because of KITT's voice box. Besides, Michael told KITT to shut up, so KITT wasn't talking at all when Michael fell asleep. if his voice box was hypnotizing, Michael would have fallen asleep a lot more.

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:18 pm

He had a 3 bar in "The Topaz Conection" I have it on tape! Thats a pretty good one, not bad...

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:22 pm

Sound file from Hearts of Stone:

K: "Michael, what do you think of my new voice modulator?"
M: "Nice KITT, real nice."

http://www.teamknightrider.com/classic/ ... ulator.wav
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Knicks4973
Operative

Post by Knicks4973 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:08 pm

KITT's voice when he got his new voice modulator is very different than it was later in season 1 and the rest of the series.

When he first got it, to me it sounds like there is no emotion behind it, but later in the season and the series emotion starts building.

Just a thought I wanted to share.

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:34 am

Knicks4973 wrote:In KOTP, Michael fell asleep because he was tired, not because of KITT's voice box. Besides, Michael told KITT to shut up, so KITT wasn't talking at all when Michael fell asleep. if his voice box was hypnotizing, Michael would have fallen asleep a lot more.
I know that's why he really fell asleep. I was just saying, that was the (totally erroneous) reason given in the TDR novelization. :roll:

Cougar
Rookie

Post by Cougar » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:31 pm

[quote="Knicks4973"]KITT's voice when he got his new voice modulator is very different than it was later in season 1 and the rest of the series.

When he first got it, to me it sounds like there is no emotion behind it, but later in the season and the series emotion starts building.

Just a thought I wanted to share.[/quote]

I agree. When I first started wathching Knight Rider I had never seen the first episodes, so when I first saw KOTP it sounded to me as if KITT had a sore throat! :lol:

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:34 pm

in Knight of the Phoenix he sounded VERY computer-like. It slowly got more human, until Knight Rider 2000, where there was no synthesization of his voice at all.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:48 pm

Something also about the voice display not being complete when filming began on the pilot and some early episodes. I can't rember all the details, this may be false as well. I thought I heard something to this effect here on the board once.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:29 am

^I'd heard that one as well, and that using the LED display for KARR in "Trust Doesn't Rust" was their way of testing it to make sure it looked good before they went and installed it in the real cars.

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:20 am

As far as I recall, nothing real was installed in the cars (like speedometer and voice box) for a long long time. It wasn't until the second season where it shows the old guy lasoing at the end(Not A Drop to Drink Maybe, not sure of the ep) that KITT's voice box in the car REALLY worked. I remember on ep where they are actually filming from inside the car, that KITT is accelerating but the tach and speedometer are not changing at all. Guess they only had the budget for the fake dashs in the studio until then.

joeb2000
Volunteer

kitt voicebox

Post by joeb2000 » Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:01 am

I think each voice box was cool the 1st episode the box was more computer like then after the first episode they still had the square box but it got more of what kitt was and i liked the 3 bar one. Did anyone also notice the first episode the scanner was at the tip of the nose and then after the first episode they put the scanner to where we come to know it.

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:17 am

Yeah, many people notice that. That was due to the fact that much of the pilot footage was from when the execs pitched the idea to NBC to get the show in production. Since they had the footage from the pitch, why not save money and use it in the pilot? It saved money, but it created alot of inconsistancy.