Help with buying a partial replica

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Avenger95
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Help with buying a partial replica

Post by Avenger95 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:10 am

I came across this on Craigslist and I would like some input from people here. Is this a reasonable price? If not, what is? What questions should I ask before making an offer? Does it look decent enough? Is it worth getting?

http://eastoregon.craigslist.org/cto/4522142107.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully I can save up the money to purchase this before someone else does. Since I can't seem to land a loan anywhere, I just have to keep saving money up from my paychecks till I feel I have enough to make a reasonable offer or match his asking price.

I welcome any suggestions you might have about this! Thanks for reading! :)

:good: :kitt2:
...... []Knight Avenger Guardian Enforcer[] ......

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Re: Help with buying a partial replica

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:42 am

I'd ask for the mileage on the car.For some strange reason the seller chose to omit that important information when selling a car.For that price it should be fairly low.I'd also like more shots of each side,the interior,the wheels,to check for any signs of rust.Even if it is a vehicle over 25 years I'd still check for signs of rust damage.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:54 am

It's got 'California KNIGHT' as a license plate in those classic Ca colors. I see tags. But, is that legit?

One thing to think about is California emissions. It might not be able to pass smog without a lot of work.
Rust is a big issue. If the Ca plate is legit and not a reproduction, the vehicle has potentially had a lot of benefit from being in the California's mild weather conditions. Alas, there may be some unseen rust issues. Although, from what I can gather from the photos, no sun roof. That's been noted as a major spot for seals to fail at.

I'd say that you should go in, expecting to pay and pay and pay. The initial asking price is pretty good. After all, Trans-Ams are desirable and becoming more rare with every passing year. To have had some of the conversion process already done is most definitely a bonus. But, be prepared to get it home or a covered garage and prepare for this car to be a project. As I am assuming the owner has either grown tired or is facing a money issue that can't support a rebuild or just simply no longer wants to store the car. But, it probably has something to do with money in one way or another.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:13 am

After checking on reproduction plates in e-bay, (http://www.ebay.com/itm/KITT-1982-Trans ... _267wt_900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) I'd say that is most likely a reproduction plate. So, can the car even be driven or is it now just a parking lot tow & show car?

Reminds me of one of the LV shows. At least one of the conversion Trans-Am's was running so badly, the exhaust was quite literally collecting inside the cab. So, yea...venture into this one expecting a project car.

Avenger95
Operative

Post by Avenger95 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:49 pm

Spoke with the guy on the phone. He drives it quite regularly. He hates to part with it but he wants to make room in his garage for more projects. Mentioned that rust was not an issue. He would like to part with it now while its still sellable, otherwise if he completed the replica entirely it would go up in price and it would be a little harder to get rid of.

I am going to arrange for a meeting to get a good look at the car, kick the tires, take a test drive, etc. Probably run a CarFax report for a better background if possible.
...... []Knight Avenger Guardian Enforcer[] ......