How Dare They...

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

How Dare They...

Post by spyhunter » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:29 pm

...Associate Knight Rider with this audio cassette >>

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchange-glance/Y02Y6493066Y0484676/002-3124654-8354440#details

Just because David has 2 songs on it that weren't even in the show? No they didn't! Image

There is some weird KR stuff out there... Looks like they've desecrated poor KITT! C'mon, David should've known that KITT doesn't look like that, right? He's always saying he's got KITT in his garage! Sure, OK...

I'd hate to see the other volumes in this series! Image

SH

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

How Dare They...

Post by K.I.T.T » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:51 pm

I saw something similar to that, but it was on a Japanese site. Pop artists over there making and album and using K.I.T.T all over the cover. But with the one i saw, there was no reference to Knight Rider but the Picture of K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T

neps
Site Administrator

How Dare They...

Post by neps » Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:00 pm

it's kitt in tron!

Skav
FLAG Operative

How Dare They...

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:07 pm

it does look like kitt. they're hardly going to spend large efforts of research to get every detail right on kitt just for a audio cassette cover, are they?

Skav

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

How Dare They...

Post by spyhunter » Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:27 pm

Guess not, but one look at KITT should tell you that he doesn't have amber fog lights in each corner of his front end. Looks like they used a later 80s T/A for reference...

Skav
FLAG Operative

How Dare They...

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:38 pm

yes, i noticed this straight away but only cos we're all actual fans of the show.

Skav

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

How Dare They...

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:35 pm

I think the main complaint should be exploiting Knight Rider as a whole for something that wasn't even in Knight Rider. One has to wonder if they got licensing from Universal to do that.

knightimmortal

Skav
FLAG Operative

How Dare They...

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:02 pm

Well, if it is a audio cassette that is sold nationally (internationally?) then I am sure they have copyright from Universal to use the KR logo and the image of KITT even though that's obviously they're own created image since they got a few details wrong on the car and Universal wouldn't do that I don't think.

It's not real hard to request copyright from studios such as Universal. You only have to make a simple request from them. Whether they say yes or no is a different story.

I'm sure they did this.

Anyways, it's got nothing to do with us.

Skav

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

How Dare They...

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:08 pm

I didn't say it had anything to do with us, and not necessarily do they have the permission, since it has nothing to do with KR other than it's former star singing songs that weren't even in the show. Many publications do it without asking permission, whether they get away with it or not is another question. After all, last I heard, Universal charges for every use of its copyrighted material.

knightimmortal

Skav
FLAG Operative

How Dare They...

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:57 pm

Yes, they would. Movie companies always charge for copyright of their movies if a rival company wished to buy the rights off them.

So I don't see why they would give a copyright out for free to a smaller company.

Skav

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

How Dare They...

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Oct 09, 2002 10:00 pm

So therefore, it is not guaranteed that the rights were bought for that cassette. And being on the international market, in a small circulation, it may not be a rightful use of Knight Rider or KITT.

knightimmortal

Skav
FLAG Operative

How Dare They...

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:54 pm

I didn't think they'd be allowed to sell it if they hadn't acquired the copyright. It has to get through distribution although they could have distributed it themselves.

I just don't see why a small company, like that who probably don't own as much money as bigger companies, would take the chance of being sued.

Skav

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

How Dare They...

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:30 am

Under the hopes that they would never be reported. A lot of people take the chance every day on copyrighted items, and a lot of them never get caught because the companies have other things to do, and other, bigger fish to fry.

It is a pretty common occurrence in the international market. It's not right, it's not proper, but it happens, and on the strangest mass market items, too. Generally the smaller the company, the more violations they will try, to keep from becoming bankrupt, but still try to get some form of profitable ground.

knightimmortal

[ October 10, 2002: Message edited by: knightimmortal ]

knightrider_ni
Operative

How Dare They...

Post by knightrider_ni » Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:38 pm

i know what you mean... the sarah michelle geller condoms released in some parts of europe (not uk i might add!!) with a picture of her on the box, taken from an episode of buffy was in no way endorsed, and fox and sarah are both said to have been furious. whichever company did it has now changed its packaging and the whole thing's been dropped to save further emabrrassment, last i heard, on the request of ms.geller.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

How Dare They...

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Oct 12, 2002 2:26 am

*falls off chair laughing* Nice example, knightrider_ni. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

knightimmortal