Building anticipation with attack mode

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Building anticipation with attack mode

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:43 pm

I've just been pondering the attack mode Kitt and somethings occurred to me.

Attack mode doesn't seem to make any difference. We get the transformation.. and then what? There doesn't seem to be any increase in Kitts abilities, other than being able to turbo boost.

It's kinda like all talk and no action. In fact there's not even really any sense of anticipation when we hear the words "Kitt, Attack Mode!!"

Hearing those words should make the hairs stand up on your neck cos you now Kitts about to whip some ass!!.. but it doesn't cos nothing happens in attack mode.

If you think back to the old SPM, that build anticipation with the transformation scenes, each shot had a slightly higher tone to it so the whole thing built up to the final shot of Kitt taking off like a rocket and even though it was only a speed increase, we knew we where gonna see something extra-ordinary at the end of that sequence.

From what we've been told in the episodes so far, the attack-mode is suppose to be bigger,better, stronger Kitt. I wonder if we're ever going to see that, so we have somethign to get excited about when we hear Micheal say "Attack Mode!"

Anyone get what I'm trying to say with this?
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blowersho
Operative

Re: Building anticipation with attack mode

Post by blowersho » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:46 pm

I agree 100%, the Attack K3000 does not do anything because it is only meant to be eye candy for the F&F crowd and that is who GST cares about and fans of the old KR get scraps.

The car is NOT the star of this show the humans are, they think the love story between Mike and Sarah and childish comments from Zoe are more important.

Look at how pathetic the car action sequences are, they spend very little time, effort and money on the car. The pilot did a far better job using the remote car and the one with the rig on the roof, those were probably the first things GST got rid of because they focused on the real star.

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:50 pm

KITT in Attack mode would please the crowd more if there were true chase scenes or evasion scenes that would require KITT to seriously haul ass. All we really have had with KITT is just racing from point A to B, and not seeing much action that is deeming worth of a "Attack necessity." Maybe running around on a busy highway because Mike and KITT need to be somewhere, or something that mirrors the famous promotion poster we've all seen with KITT racing through an explosion would help us believe in Attack mode.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:00 pm

Exactly, we can talk all we want about how we want KITT's character developed. But come on, this is supposed to be an action show first an foremost. We need elaborate, exciting, choreographed chase scenes, the old one did that plenty fine. A Hard Day's Night became a LITTLE closer with some actual maneuvers in that parking garage...but still no complete chase. The main cause (or excuse) is that every time a chase is presumably going on, someone freaking calls him and he's somehow talking while chasing so we see none of it.

If you want a perfect example of what I'm referring to by a choreographed car chase, see A Nice Indecent Town. KITT chases that Camaro all over the freaking place, and the cameras are set up on the sides of the cars for that purpose, through mains streets through alleys. There is both a ski mode, and the famous full-speed (not slow-mo) turbo boost. THAT exemplifies the kind of action a car show needs at least once in awhile.

And what makes it even MORE laughable, is that episode has TWO elaborate chase scenes. (Later when KITT's driving himself with the hold woman in the front seat). Amazing isn't it? 25 years of technological advancements and car chases have degraded in quality.

And lastly, most people will tell you I support the new show, but this is one thing that really baffles me.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:08 pm

It'll get better. As every episode so far has told me, expect something new every week as this season carries on.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:17 pm

While I am a fan of the transformation, I agree that it should be used for more thematic and dramatic purposes than just to wow us for 10-30 seconds. "A Hard Day's Knight" felt like the closest we've come so far to KITT's attack mode serving a purpose as he chased the van.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:20 pm

see A Nice Indecent Town. KITT chases that Camaro all over the freaking place, and the cameras are set up on the sides of the cars for that purpose, through mains streets through alleys. There is both a ski mode, and the famous full-speed (not slow-mo) turbo boost. THAT exemplifies the kind of action a car show needs at least once in awhile.
you're right..... :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:
It'll get better. As every episode so far has told me, expect something new every week as this season carries on.
I wouldn't count on it. I think what you see is what you get (and are gonna get).

You see, my friends, the original show was an action show. It was fun. This show is merely a twenty-something love story.
I'm not saying that it's bad, in fact, all in all, it really isn't that bad at all. I watch it, and will continue to watch it if it doesn't get axed.....but just don't expect anything more than you already see, not even in the epsiode coming up about KARR. It won't change, and if it does, it won't be until they get through the already filmed episodes.....and what little interesting fun the show has, about Michael Knights past, NBC cuts out. I fear we'll never find anything out about him :? :? :? :? :?

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:45 pm

The irony of it all is that people complained about GST making this show because they thought it was going to be a Fast and Furious type show. At least if it was we would have had some decent racing and chase scenes.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:56 pm

he irony of it all is that people complained about GST making this show because they thought it was going to be a Fast and Furious type show. At least if it was we would have had some decent racing and chase scenes.
yup.

viper_defender
Recruit

Post by viper_defender » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:37 pm

As a fan of Viper and Knightrider, i know why they put in transformation mode, its to ramp up the action scenes not that its bad, but if you look at it there should be a place for it, viper transforms because it needs to rotate out weapon systems and other equipment hence the defender mode, Ki3t does the same since it seems he can only turboboost in that mode, which seems a bit sad, also some of his onboard systems work when he's in attack mode. They just have tokeep what works and what doesnt... I just hope the KILL optimus Ki3t and the clothes hanger of a spoiler.
Knight Rider 1984
Viper 1994
Knight Rider 2008
Men and Machines that make a Difference!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRzKrzXod6Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; See how the Morph!

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:31 am

Rockatteer wrote:The irony of it all is that people complained about GST making this show because they thought it was going to be a Fast and Furious type show. At least if it was we would have had some decent racing and chase scenes.
You know that's a great point. It is a little weird...

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:03 am

I would prefer if this attack mode were not an attack mode but an super pursuit mode, that is used whenever KITT has to go very very fast (that is the way the attack mode was used in the first four episodes).
It's just the term that is wrong, and the car looks too aggressive.

As I posted in another thread, some small changes are enough to make the "attack mode" a worthy super pursuit mode.

nextelbuddy
Recruit

Post by nextelbuddy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:01 pm

ZING.... much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Garthe Knight wrote:I would prefer if this attack mode were not an attack mode but an super pursuit mode, that is used whenever KITT has to go very very fast (that is the way the attack mode was used in the first four episodes).
It's just the term that is wrong, and the car looks too aggressive.

As I posted in another thread, some small changes are enough to make the "attack mode" a worthy super pursuit mode.

MURDOCK
Rookie

Post by MURDOCK » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:54 pm

Yes this tweeked version is way more knight rider rather than fast and furious,its really cool looks like a car that could hit 300 mph.The big spioler and scoops are *?$# looking the wheels same at back great too!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:38 pm

It does look better though I think it might be just a little too plain. Something different with the hood would make it look better. The fake intakes would need to look less tacked on and a bit more "organic". But other than that, yeah it does look better, hell what they have now wouldn't look so bad if they made that blower/intake/whatever black and put black rims/wheels like what Garthe did in his alteration. We all know that surfboard sized spoiler sucks balls so I wouldn't miss it and we've yet to see it function how GST claimed it would so it's useless aside from looking over the top and ugly. The wheels on the main car should be black too, it doesn't matter how much they're worth in real life, there's nothing wrong with making the car look different from a stock version, well except Ford probably wouldn't like it.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:58 pm

I don't know why there was a problem just leaving it a standard mustang. Why does it need "Attack Mode?"

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:16 pm

While I agree that the look of attack mode could be easily improved, I find it funny that every comment's on the spoiler when the old KITT's spoiler was also jacked way up in Super Pursuit Mode.

Yes, I know the new KITT's spoiler gets significantly bigger, but still, you never hear anything about KI2T's SPM spoiler being higher than his roof.

triran
Rookie

Post by triran » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:37 am

In episode the cobra moving strangly made me feel "Yeah Attack Mode is ready"

I add this thread earlier

viewtopic.php?f=1046&t=12728" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:41 am

Rockatteer wrote:I've just been pondering the attack mode Kitt and somethings occurred to me.

Attack mode doesn't seem to make any difference. We get the transformation.. and then what? There doesn't seem to be any increase in Kitts abilities, other than being able to turbo boost.

It's kinda like all talk and no action. In fact there's not even really any sense of anticipation when we hear the words "Kitt, Attack Mode!!"
Hey KITT actually attacked in attack mode this week. :D That was pretty cool.
Well he can't to everything in every episode.. we are so impatient :mrgreen:
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.