Who here has replicas

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Bumfluff
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Bumfluff » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:52 am

I've been looking for a KITT project car for quite a while now and as another member has said living 'Down Under' can make finding the right car rather difficult. The ones I've seen lately are pretty average mechanically.

p.s. this is my first post on the forum. Not sure why I didn't stumble across this place earlier but glad that I did regardless! :D :P :D

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:58 pm

Hey, KITT-X:)

Havn't seen you around in a while.

Most of the work I did was undoing damage done by the dealer. It was only 4 years old when I got it, but had 95K miles already on it. It was the high mileage that caused stuff to go out one after the other. The car itself was beautiful.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

KnightRiderGirl
Rookie

Post by KnightRiderGirl » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:18 pm

I don't have one yet, but in a couple years when I have the money, I'm going to start creating a Kitt replica of my own. Not to brag, but around where I live in New Hampshire, I see perfect donor cars EVERYWHERE! All of them may not be black, but my step-dad paints cars for a living. So, I woudl just have to go to him to get it painted. If I can ever find some pics, I can post what is up for sale in my area. ^^

kitt-x
Rookie

Post by kitt-x » Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:27 pm

I usually just post on the Registries, but have been coming here lately too.

That is a lot of mileage for a 4 year old car! :shock:
That explains why you had all that mechanical work to do first. I must say your car has come a long way and is shaping up fabulously.

8)

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:06 pm

Thanks, KITT-X!

Yours is still my favorite conversion of all. I love that car:)
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

kitt-x
Rookie

Post by kitt-x » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:43 pm

Thanks Army! :)

Bumfluff
Volunteer

Post by Bumfluff » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:08 am

This might be an odd question for some, but does anyone here have any pics of a Right-Hand Drive Kitt Replica?

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:19 am

Mark's Custom Kits has some shots of an out of the mold RHD dash:

http://www.markscustomkits.com/RHD-dash.htm

I'd be interested in seeing a completed replica...

Bumfluff
Volunteer

Post by Bumfluff » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:36 am

neps wrote:Mark's Custom Kits has some shots of an out of the mold RHD dash:

http://www.markscustomkits.com/RHD-dash.htm

I'd be interested in seeing a completed replica...
Yeah that pic is the only one I have seen of a RHD conversion. As I live in Australia I can only do a RHD conversion. At least RHD stuff is made for it! :P

Crovax Ws-6
Rookie

Post by Crovax Ws-6 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:35 am

theres my baby

Crovax Ws-6
Rookie

Post by Crovax Ws-6 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:49 am

Army_F_Body wrote:That's pretty low.

However, consider that some people start with all the high speed flashy, shinny conversion stuff.

Mechanically, the cars are usually wrecks, or at the least average for what they are and their age (which is not very good some 20 years later). I guess you could say I'm seven years into my conversion, and 6 of those were preoccupied with mechanical issues. I figured whats the point on spending money on a vehicle that's crap.
This Is exactly the reason i did the engien swap right of the bat and am putin all new fresh parts in. IM gettin all the wieing sorted out and making the car a very comfortable daily driver/ quick enough to kep me happy 1/4 mile car, that can still take of ramps at 70 mph. lol

My rule is ususally to do one thing performance then one thing appareacne and keep alternating. But i think performance is gonna win out on this car. Cause the body is in pretty decent shape for 161K on it. i will have the nose put on, with the scanner and i am going to do a completely digital Gauge cluster and a pillar gauge set up. along with an overhead console from a T-top car, the 99 camaro 6 speed center console i already installed, along with some Beretta Z-26/GTZ seats and a few other things here and there. This car was never meant to be an exact replica but i think it will make me happy and will definately be a head turner.

Crovax Ws-6
Rookie

Post by Crovax Ws-6 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:55 am

Bumfluff wrote:I've been looking for a KITT project car for quite a while now and as another member has said living 'Down Under' can make finding the right car rather difficult. The ones I've seen lately are pretty average mechanically.
Honeslty the average cars are usually some of the best. You dont want to get a car that was beaten to eath by some punk 16 year old kid or run into the ground as a daily driver like my car was when i got it. find one that has between 60 and 100K on it and looks liek it ws taken care of. That will be your best donor car. though it really all depends on what you truly want from the car. if you want it o be a speed demon with a knight rider look , you are gonna have to spend a decent amount of money working with what ever engine is in there (hopefully a TPI 305 or 350). But if you want a show car then you can pretty much go with even a 2.8 or 3.1 6 cyl and be happy with that.

Bumfluff
Volunteer

Post by Bumfluff » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:35 am

Crovax Ws-6 wrote:
Bumfluff wrote:I've been looking for a KITT project car for quite a while now and as another member has said living 'Down Under' can make finding the right car rather difficult. The ones I've seen lately are pretty average mechanically.
Honeslty the average cars are usually some of the best. You dont want to get a car that was beaten to eath by some punk 16 year old kid or run into the ground as a daily driver like my car was when i got it. find one that has between 60 and 100K on it and looks liek it ws taken care of. That will be your best donor car. though it really all depends on what you truly want from the car. if you want it o be a speed demon with a knight rider look , you are gonna have to spend a decent amount of money working with what ever engine is in there (hopefully a TPI 305 or 350). But if you want a show car then you can pretty much go with even a 2.8 or 3.1 6 cyl and be happy with that.
Yikes I forgot about this thread! My bad! :oops:

I managed to find a great donor car for my KITT project. I have pictures on my digital camera which I'll try to get onto the comp. ASAP. I bought it just over a month ago. It's a 1983 T/A. It's Black in colour with the gold/bronze strip underneath (same as Michael Long's car in the beginning of KOTP). Now correct me if I'm wrong but all the paperwork when I got it says it's a 5.7Ltr cross-fire engine. I thought these were only found in the corvette stingrays of the time? Maybe the original engine was taken out but anyway I'm happy with 5.7ltr's of grunt! :D Anyway it had 98000 miles on it but the previous owner looked after it pretty well. What's even better is I got it for an awesome price. Drives like a dream! Even now almost everytime I come home from work I jump into it to go for a drive down the coast for the afternoon. Anyway just thought I'd give an update and I'll try to get those pictures up soon.

Regards

Jase

Crovax Ws-6
Rookie

Post by Crovax Ws-6 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:51 pm

its a 305 crossfire, if its original. the 350 wasnt introduced in the 3rd gen F-body until 1987. and if someone swapped in a vette 350 with ceasefire as we like to call it. then my suggestion would be to look into a TPI swap. You will be MUCH happier with that.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:41 pm

My 14" Turbo Casts would look great on that car. When I get my car I am not even gonna look for a V6. V8's are way better. Even if it isnt a 5.7 i'll be happy with a 5.0
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Crovax Ws-6
Rookie

Post by Crovax Ws-6 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:04 am

TurbomanKnight wrote:My 14" Turbo Casts would look great on that car. When I get my car I am not even gonna look for a V6. V8's are way better. Even if it isnt a 5.7 i'll be happy with a 5.0
lol You'd think that a v-8 would be better. But if you look at the early 305s with the computer controlled carbs, they really didnt put out much more HP then the 3.1 v-6 in the later 3rd gens. if you really want a v-8 with the power a v-8 should have, you should probably find another engine.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:43 am

I had the idea of puting a 6.6 Litre 400 Motor in a 3rd gen. But then again to work on the motor there wouldn't be that much room.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Crovax Ws-6
Rookie

Post by Crovax Ws-6 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:20 pm

you would need to do a LOT of work to make a 400 big block Pontiac motor fit in a 3rd gen.

Knight Girl
Operative

Post by Knight Girl » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:22 pm

I finally found a donar car. I know I mentioned converting a saturn but decided on a Transam. It is a 84 black t-tops with the gold on the bottom. I have to get it in mechanical shape first but the body looks to be in pretty good shape.

Knight Girl

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:05 pm

Was that you talking about it on the Registries? If so, great car. 8)
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers