different filming techniques for Movie!

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

whet
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

different filming techniques for Movie!

Post by whet » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:52 am

Assuming the movie does go ahead one day.

How different do you think the way they film these days will be from the original series?

For example, would they still pre record Kitt's lines and then dub them in afterwards?

Will Kitt be under remote control for his driving scenes instead of someone lying on the floor?

One thing's for sure with a higher budget it should look awesome.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:21 pm

Remote control cars are possible, but I'd assume they'd do scenes like they did in, say, Herbie Fully Loaded (Herbie drives by himself too, I think. Though I didn't see the newest movie so I don't know if he does or not in the new movie, though I assme he would). As for voice, I would say they still would overdub. After all, only William Daniels can be KITT. :)

Though computer technology is there to create a talking car (if I had the money and time/energy, my car would have an in-dash computer with interactive AI). But to get it even working on remote control, that would have to take some scientists from DARPA or something. :) It cost a lot too. So I would say even if the movie had a big budget, I think they would stay more in line with today's technology. I'm not even sure what that is anymore, in terms of movies. :)

tkr9
Operative

Post by tkr9 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:25 pm

I'll lay odds they can install a two-way mike in KITT to allow the actor playing him to speak KITT's lines. I mean, if a show as basic as Blake's 7 all those years ago could have Orak communicating directly with the crew with Peter Tuddenham stuck upstairs in a sound booth, I don't see why they can't chat over a modern line to a sound mike in the car, though I might be wrong.

I don't think it is possible to remotely control KITT to the extent you would need to, and the tehcnical difficulties of it might prove troublesome, it would just be CHEAPER to use a first class driver and either hide him and check post production for glitches or simply edit him/her out.

I hope the thing will be filmed in, wotissit... DVX? TVX... Waddever, the digital film they use on things like Battlestar Galactica at the moment. It allows the cameraman to change the colouring, tones, textures and gauze-effects AS they film, rather than have to faff about with lenses, Post-Production session and guazes. The only problem is the stuff is so good you can see all the scratches, holes and glitches in the sets or props.

MiKA-
Volunteer

Post by MiKA- » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:08 pm

Well, I think it would'nt be so hard to convert K.I.T.T. to a radio controlled car, http://home.comcast.net/~broncojim/rccar.wmv

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:32 pm

I think the easiest method would be to use the old fashioned "blind driver" like they did in the series but just edit out the bulge in the back seat that we see on way too many occations. It's extremely easy to do with today's computer technology. I just hope KITT isn't computer animated. They did that in the new Herbie movie and made him look completely unrealistic. Also seeing Herbie do flips and summersaults was a bit ridiculous too but that's a different story all together. I just don't want to see KITT doing over the top stunts like that.
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:17 pm

Intresting,

I haven't seen the herbie fillm yet, but I do agree Kitt should not be Computer genarated,

Would look totaly wrong!

But Yes with todays's advances of it being possable to iron out any shots of Kitt's driver, would be cool.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:58 pm

MiKA- wrote:Well, I think it would'nt be so hard to convert K.I.T.T. to a radio controlled car, http://home.comcast.net/~broncojim/rccar.wmv
I saw that one before and was thinking about that. But for a film budget, I don't know... weren't the guys here in this clip students and working on a school project? Those are usually funded by grants. I don't know... for a film budget, if they'd have enough. Might... if they do only ONE car as the "drive by itself" car or two, one for stunts and one for tamer stuff. The stunt car they'd have to keep repairing though.

With video editing as advanced, they could also just edit out the driver. :)

I know some don't like CGI but I was thinking if they modeled the car real well, that COULD be another option. But modeling takes a lot of time/effort. So I would think it would be easier to either use a blind-driver method or remote control if they have the money.

Hey, if they have remote control, then it would be great for promos at car shows where KITT could drive in and William Daniels (or a close sound-alike) speak via onboard speakers (and hear people via onboard mics). That shouldn't be too hard to do alone - the voice/audio, with today's technology. Then KITT would be even more real to folks. :)