Are You With Or Against The New KR Movie

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Do You Like The New Idea For A New KR Movie Or Not

Think Its A Good Idea
96%
Think Its A Bad Idea
4%

Total votes: 52

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:06 am

There are a hell of a lot of areas where this movie could go wrong.

Hollywood rarely gets TV remakes right... I can think of only two good ones -- The Fugitive and Mission: Impossible (the first one). They stand apart because they treated the source material with respect and attempted to create a "real" world and suspenseful stories. All too often the studios take the easy way out, creating a hokey farce and making a mockery of the original show (Starsky & Hutch, Charlie's Angels, etc. -- and I suspect The Dukes of Hazzard, too).

I'd rather see the new movie as a continuation of the original series (Star Trek and The X-Files have proved it can be done), but that doesn't necessarily mean Hasselhoff has to star. If he isn't considered "big" enough to carry a feature film all by himself, give him a partner, or give him the Devon role (which it looks like he will take anyway). But let him be Michael Knight.

K.I.T.T.: I think K.I.T.T. should remain an '80s Trans Am. That is K.I.T.T. That is the Knight 2000. That's his "face". To change the car would be as bad as recasting his voice. It just wouldn't be K.I.T.T. (and look to Knight Rider 2000 for an example of how that affects a Knight Rider production). Dukes of Hazzard and Starsky & Hutch managed to retain the original vehicles in their movies, I hope Knight Rider does too.

Regarding his new capabilities, that's a difficult one. The original car did it all, so there's really little room for improvement (and again, I'll draw your attention to Knight Rider 2000's attempt at futuristic additions to the Knight 4000). There are a few things that spring to mind:

* Passive Laser Restraint System: Let's see it. Give us a visual representation of it; it'd be a small special effect, but a step forward. Something we haven't seen before.

* A Heads-up display, similar to the Knight 4000. Integrate graphics and visuals into the windshield. But, unlike the Knight 4000, don't remove the beauty of that original dashboard. Don't lose the monitor(s), the flashing lights, or the BUTTONS!!! Make sure that Michael (or "new Michael") has something to do in the cockpit other than drive! Keep him animated and punching commands into the consoles rather than just saying "Turbo Boost." Keep it visual.

* Turbo Boost. Turbo Boost!!! Let's see K.I.T.T. leap higher and further than ever, with a real car and not a miniature. With the progress made in special effects, we could see him take flight without a carefully-concealed ramp. That would be amazing!

* And following that train of thought -- K.I.T.T. is an indestructible car. So, let's see it. Push him to the limits that he never reached on television. Show us high speeds that don't look like the film has been sped up. Crash him into, and through things! Remind us that this car is unlike any car ever to hit the screens!

Most importantly of all: Keep it in the present. Don't relocate to some near- or far-future scenario. Do that, and immediately the material is dated. The original series is certainly a product of the 1980s, but it is always contemporary. Larson talks on the DVD about how it's a BS-premise, and it was necessary to keep it as "real" as possible and filled with good actors -- I hope they'll keep that in mind this time out. If and when this movie hits the theatres, there will be a lot of critics who will hammer it just for being Knight Rider, just for being based on a series that featured David Hasselhoff. Don't give fuel to their fire. Present-day, real world, futuristic AI-controlled car.

Knight Rider.

- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchive.com

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:35 am

Knight Rider Archive wrote:* And following that train of thought -- K.I.T.T. is an indestructible car. So, let's see it. Push him to the limits that he never reached on television. Show us high speeds that don't look like the film has been sped up. Crash him into, and through things! Remind us that this car is unlike any car ever to hit the screens!
I agree with everything, but taking K.I.T.T. to limits where he has never been before will be difficult! He's been shot by rocket launchers, crashed through concrete walls, dumped in an acid pit, battered by a gigantic semi and a battering ram among other things!

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:52 am

Yes, and all that was produced on a television budget. With a feature film's multi-million budget, they could really push the envelope, doing things that could never have been achieved on television, and really create the illusion of an indestructible car.

- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchive.com

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:31 pm

I don't care how old David Hasselhoff is. Knight Rider is kitt, hasselhoff and how they interact together.

I will be very disappointed if (when) he isn't the same character (and i mean in the same circumstances) as before. I know it is virtually set now that some young hollywood guy will be the 'new Michael' probably as his son, but that isn't what Knight Rider is about. I would like it to carry on from season four. If they need to, suggest that Michael + KITT have been working together since then to now and Michael never left.

I think it's important to ignore KR2000 and the only link is that Devon has died as the actor has.

I know that i'm going to be *VERY* disappointed with this movie.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:20 am

Hey! No rip-off movie of the original "Knight Rider" series allowed!

Michelle
Rookie

Post by Michelle » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:30 pm

I'm for the movie, but they will have to try really hard to do a good job. I agree with most of the replys that talk about how it can't be to over the top. That is what makes it so hard now. They'll want to make it believable, but now-a-days that isn't as easy as th 80's. HUGE agreement on those who said that the car and voice should stay the same!! :lol: I also hope that they will ignore the KR2000 (what kind of name is KIFT anyway), but NO ONE SHOULD EVER TRY TO REPLACE EDWARD MULHARE IF THEY DO I WILL STILL SEE IT, but I won't be happy about it. :shock:
Michael: It can end here if you let it. (Race for Life 2:16)

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:04 pm

I don't think it should retell the story of Knight Rider. The fans shouldn't have to have their film wasted just to let other viewers watch it. Just start the story about a man with a special car and continue where series 4 left off. The others don't need to know the whole backstory.

Make it for Knight Rider fans and it'll be a hit. Make it for everyone and we'll get a watered down film which doesn't satisfy either the fans or the newcomers (cough, starsky and hutch). The fans must come first!

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:51 pm

I agree with Wizster. You can make fans by having them ask other fans about the missing parts and that's how they catch on, and even make new friends. :)

Welcome to the board, Michelle. I see you're new here. Hope you enjoy your stay. I've been here over a hear and really enjoy it. :)

BlazeFox
Rookie

There's a Dukes movie, so why not?

Post by BlazeFox » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:15 am

I'm impatient, seeing as I've been waiting on this movie since I first heard rumors of it on IMDB. I think it's definately something that needs to be done since there's a Dukes movie coming out. But I want KR the movie to be NEW, extreme emphasis on NEW: No continuation/reunion plots. No messed up KR2K timeline (the 2000's are right now). I want this to be a genuine theatrical remake, not something comparable to an internet fanfic. KITT absolutely MUST talk. As for the type of car KITT was and always should be a Trans Am, anything else would kill the movie for me. But I also think the old car is just too square, I really like the look of the 4th gen (93-2002) models especially Cesar Gamino's Knight 3000.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:39 pm

I really can't vote either way. If the film follows true to the show (character, premise, etc.) than I would say good idea. If it doesn't (ala Revolution Studios not wanting the car to talk, poor script, bad direction and acting), then I would say that its a bad idea.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:48 am

Wizster wrote:I don't think it should retell the story of Knight Rider. The fans shouldn't have to have their film wasted just to let other viewers watch it. Just start the story about a man with a special car and continue where series 4 left off. The others don't need to know the whole backstory.

Make it for Knight Rider fans and it'll be a hit. Make it for everyone and we'll get a watered down film which doesn't satisfy either the fans or the newcomers (cough, starsky and hutch). The fans must come first!
Totally agree. It's time to try a new method with these remakes. If anything, newcomers may become interested in seeing the original series if the movie is done right.

ad227529
Rookie

Post by ad227529 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:04 pm

i got too tired reading through the other replies, sorry. i'm all for a movie. as long as it does NOT have Paul Walker or Ben Afflec in it. horrible actors...

i really like what they did with Batman Begins. i would love to see them go back and take us through the beginings of the Knight Rider history. really set up how the foundation was built, even a glimpse or two of KARR being built and tested and who he must have killed to get him locked away. I think David should play Devon...a kind of homage to the man. he was an incredible actor and character and i think it would be really touching to have David in that part.

going back to the beginnings like that and then going through finding Michael and rescuing him would be great story line and also give enough body for a full length movie that wasnt dull and drug out. while still being able to be high action.

got to be the original KITT though. no "newer" cars PLEASE.

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:16 pm

ad227529 wrote:i really like what they did with Batman Begins.
I also liked Batman begins, didn't really like the attack tank thingie all that much but I guess that is what he played around with before he had the guy make the Batmobile for him. And I also agree about Hasselhoff playing Devon and not Michael. But I still say use a 4th gen for the new Knight Rider movie. Maybe a 96, because the 02's had bug eyes and really huge nostrils. O_o;

Cesar Gamino's car looks hella wicked.

TheKnightFox
Operative

Post by TheKnightFox » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:43 pm

BlazeFox wrote: But I still say use a 4th gen for the new Knight Rider movie. Maybe a 96, because the 02's had bug eyes and really huge nostrils. O_o;

Cesar Gamino's car looks hella wicked.
what are you getting at, for the car they use for KITT or something? *a little confused*...i hope not. :?

i haven't seen batman begins yet, but i'd like too...
"when you're one of a kind, companionship does not compute." KITT
PROJECT RESTORATION. A fic for KITT and KARR: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2396303/1/

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:52 pm

How come nobody seems to grasp the idea of David Hasselhoff playing Michael Knight now retired from field duty and promoted into Devon's former postion vacated by Devon Miles Death.

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:18 pm

TheKnightFox wrote: what are you getting at, for the car they use for KITT or something? *a little confused*...i hope not. :?
Image - Image - Image

http://www.knightreplicas.com/database/ ... eplicaID=7

And the reason no one grasp the idea of a storyline where Michael takes over for the deceased Devon is because that would be a KR2k storyline. Knight Rider 2000 would have to be ignored in this case, because the 2000's are right now. Think of it like this, the book "1984" was written in 1949, so of course their version of that time period is very different from the real 1984 we lived thru.

KR2k's 2005 would be drastically different from real life 2005.
So why bother with trying to make KR2k make sense to KR-noobs?
The movie should make sense, even to those outside the KR-fandom.

Instead, just have Hasselhoff play Devon and have a NEW Michael. Completely re-tell the pilot episode in OUR PRESENT, but make it more exciting. Keep KITT as a Firebird/TA but a newer model (4th gen) thus giving fans compromise: People who want to see a new car will get what they want, and people who want KITT to stay a Pontiac will get what they want. See? Compromise...

Also, old KITT and the original actors could do cameos.

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:21 am

Its almost a guarantee that Knight Rider 2000 and TKR both are being ignored. The movie will most likely be a continuation of the original show as if KR2000 and TKR never happened.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:03 pm

I hate rounded noses. :( That car looks too rounded. Wish it was more dart-shaped like the old KITT. Someone had a suggested car in another thread that I could see being a newer KITT.

TheKnightFox
Operative

Post by TheKnightFox » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:46 pm

I still say and will always say KITT always looks best as the TransAm model(s) they used in the TV series...and uh, its awfully hard to change my mind.

see, all though i could get used to it of KITT looking like the replica in the pictures, it still wouldn't feel the same, and that just wouldn't be good; for a lot of us i'm sure.
"when you're one of a kind, companionship does not compute." KITT
PROJECT RESTORATION. A fic for KITT and KARR: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2396303/1/

Phoenix915
Operative

Post by Phoenix915 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:33 pm

Knight Rider Archive wrote: Don't relocate to some near- or far-future scenario. Do that, and immediately the material is dated.
KR2000's line about 'President Quayle' never fails to crack me up for that reason.

Getting back on-topic, I'm for a movie. I do agree that there's probably 1,904,579 ways someone can turn this project into a large, steaming pile of s#!* pretty damn fast, but I'm confident that Glen "Team Knight Rider" Larson and David "Knight Rider 2000" Hasselhoff have learned from their past attempts to update KR to know what flies and what doesn't.

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:43 pm

Wizster wrote:I don't care how old David Hasselhoff is. Knight Rider is Kitt, Hasselhoff and how they interact together. I will be very disappointed if (when) he isn't the same character (and I mean in the same circumstances) as before.
Well, first you must realize that those of us who're hardcore KR fanatitcs and/or KR purist are the minority. We're NOT gunna get exactly what we want and if this film is gunna be popular at all it has to appeal to the new generation not just us. Did they get all the oringinal actors to be in the remakes of Hulk, Spider Man, The Longest Yard, Bad News Bears and the Dukes of Hazzard? No, because then it wouldn't be a remake, it'd be a cast reunion put in a cheap timeslot on cable TV.

If what you want is a continuation of the KR 2000 storyline where Michael takes over for Devon and puts his kid in KITT, then what yer gunna get is a made for TV reunion movie like Chips 1999 and it WON'T be in theatres, and it WON'T expose any new kids to the KR franchise. I'm not selfish enough to expect Hasselhoff to bankrupt himself making a movie JUST FOR US. KR the movie should be for everyone, not just those who already know the ins and outs of the story.

tkr9
Operative

Post by tkr9 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:28 pm

I can't see Michael in the Devon role. It would be touching, but as Executive Director he would have to sit on the board, and I just think Michael and Bureacracy wouldn't work, it goes against everything Michael was - an unofficial lone ranger, a maverik, it just isn't in him to handle a briefcase.

Plot wise the writers only have to remember Larson's commitment to keep certain values constant throughout the film - compassion, humour, comradeship, honour, bravery and please, no depressing killing KITT or Michael or the friendly guys off. I only watched KR 2000 once and I can't watch it again, because my heart breaks and I lose all the will to watch any more after Devon pops it. Modern interpretations of KR lost touch of it being a show about, in the end, truth, justice, dignity and honour.

Plotwise - A corrupt evil multinational corporation. Everone loves them as the villain. :lol: It's ultimate aim? To maintain a monopoly of the market by systematically killing off the CEO's of their main rivals and nicking their shares. :? To fund this villainy they are smuggling secret weapons blueprints from a huge scientific research institute in Silicon Valley, owned by the MNC's CEO's equally villainous wife. :P KITT is called in, emerging from the Foundations Secret Nevada research base with his new driver, sourced by Michael, again a reconstructed peacekeeper (to give it a nice twist and some angsting and post traumatic stress syndrome if he was fresh from the battlefields of Bosnia or something, and gives it an international feel for foreign audiences (ie. ME and my pals here in the UK). Only what they don't know is, the CEO knows the Foundation might investigate him, and has planted a spy in the organisation, a spy who is trying to close the KITT programme down and trying to persuade the Foundation to sell KITT and his specs to the Silicon Valley Company (hence the link, thus the clue for Michael and KITT to resolve the issue 8) .) Cue a cute female scientist who designs the weapons plans being all damselly for Michael's replacement to rescue (I'd rather the Michael role was a woman myself, but then no one in Hollywood cares :roll: ).

I can't be bothered to write fanfics, so that's my movie idea. :lol: Oh, and Larson, if you use it, call me! I need a job and screenwriter would so be the nicest career (and look, little pink piggies are flying past the window of delusional probabilities). :cry:

Michelle
Rookie

Post by Michelle » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:54 pm

[quote]I can't see Michael in the Devon role. It would be touching, but as Executive Director he would have to sit on the board, and I just think Michael and Bureacracy wouldn't work, it goes against everything Michael was - an unofficial lone ranger, a maverik, it just isn't in him to handle a briefcase.[/quote]

Big agreements here. That is one of some problems I have witht he movie. I really don't see Michael as a sit-at-the-desk kind of person. In the fourth season Michael was saying he was tired of the job in Scent of Roses, but in that same episode Stevie stated that "You may break, you may shatter the vase, but the scent of roses will hang 'round it still, the scent of the roses will linger forever!" That is what brought Michael back to the foundation. He knew that no matter how hard he tried this was sho he was. In a different episode, or maybe the same one, KITT also stated that he was programed a certain way and that Michael was, too!

I hate to bring this up, but even in the KR2000 Micahel couldn't be swayed from returning to FLAG! Sure he was hesitant, but he still went and came back when he might have given up! MICHAEL KNIGHT BELONGS IN KITT'S DRIVER'S SEAT!!!! Nothing can change that.
Michael: It can end here if you let it. (Race for Life 2:16)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:58 pm

Age can. And that's the issue. We'd all of course like to see Michael in the driver's seat. And he probably will be, at least for a short amount of time. But you can only get so old before a "ridiculous" idea becomes even more ridiculous.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:31 am

53 isn't too old to be in the 'driver's seat' in any movie. Captain Picard was said to be in his 60s and had an artificial heart, and yet captained the Enterprise in TNG for many years. If you're talking modern day, I have friends David's age that are still doing quite a few very active things. People are living longer, doing more. So being "out there" at 53 isn't too unheard of. And with makeup, they can also make people look a few years younger too. :)

I also have seen men over 50 in the WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) wrestling and putting on a show. Some may say "disgusting" if you're not into wrestling but they actually did quite well, even as well or better than their younger counterparts.

I think basically, I'll wait and see what they come up with (IF they come up with a movie), watch it, and decide then if it's entertaining and if I liked it (and even if I want to see if AMT/Ertl or others come out with a "new KITT model", etc. ;) ) or not...

And then there's always fanfic, if we want to try to think of other alternatives and stories. :)

So hey, I'll just look forward to the movie and leave the rest up to Mr. Larson and Mr. Hasselhoff as to who/what goes in it. Knowing their talents, I'm optimistic it should be a good movie.