I'm still here

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Girl
Operative

I'm still here

Post by Knight Girl » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:13 am

Hi everybody....I haven't fallen off the earth or anything..just been very busy with moving and other stuff...

I do have the scanner and nose for my 92 Firebird but have had to put that project on hold as it won't pass emissions.....something about noxious gases or something. The mechanic is still working on it.. Mechanically the car is in great shape and passed the safety requirements but it just won't pass that one test.. :x

Knight Girl

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:23 pm

Can't you give the mechanic a small donation, to make the car "legally" pass emissions? Glad to see your back. ":)
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:00 pm

These days those bribes... er... "small donations" can't be done. Now days, we get papers with every inspection (well, I don't know what state Knight Girl is in but I'm going by what I got here in NY state at the last inspection). It seems a new thing. When your car is inspected, the data is sent directly to the DMV and they send back info which is printed on a paper. You have to save the paper and might have to present it when you renew your registration.

This is new as of this year I think as the mechanic didn't give me a paper last year. Also they inspect all FOUR tires, wheels and brakes now, not just one. And if you needed work (like brakes) to pass inspection, THAT also gets reported to the DMV. Dryden had to have brake work on the rear brakes done and parking brake cable replaced to pass this year. Emissions passed with flying colors this time. Better because he dropped the catty just prior to pulling into the shop for inspection last year and that had to be replaced along with the whole car-length pipe! :lol:

Knight Girl
Operative

Post by Knight Girl » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:38 pm

You are right Fuzzie Dice.. They document everything so you can't cheat.. :?

Knight Girl

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:46 pm

Well, when my dad had the Supra, it wouldn't pass emissions because it needed a tune up. We gave the guy a few dollars and voila! It passed. I wonder how that happened? :razz: The paper you need, you can still get that. They can run another car through the emissions machine, and just put your car's info in there and there ya go. :)
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:10 pm

I have a question: Which town did you move from, plus where did you move to? Just curious....
Moving's not easy, but it's worth it!;)

Knight Girl
Operative

Post by Knight Girl » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:31 am

haha, I guess I'm not that lucky or the guy is a stickler to the rules..

I just moved from a big city in Texas to a small town.Too much crime in the city. My husband was tired of boom boxes all times in the night.

Knight Girl

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:07 am

TurbomanKnight - You guys got rooked! For the cost of that 'few bucks' you probably could have had the tune-up anyway!

As for running another car through, you really can't with some cars. OBD-II especially you can't. Older ones probably, but then the mechanic would get in deep trouble.

Dryden's mechanics are all very strict from the start with inspections anyway, even before all the new rules and regulations. I'm glad too because I'd rather have a safe vehicle anyway, even if it cost me a few bucks to get something fixed. Better than even worse later if something that isn't fixed causes an accident!

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Post by sheltonw3 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:24 am

if its emissions problem's you have, then heres what you might want to think about doing!:>>>>
1= oil change and add rislone at oil change w/ new filter
2 = get new muffler,cat converter & pipes!
3 = new fuel filter!
4 = make sure there is atleast 3/4 of a tank of gas 92 octane!....anything lesser of that kind of gas WILL MAKE YOU FAIL!.....when I first got my 91 T/A the salesman filled my car up with Sh3tty gas and it ran like hell for 3 days then I let it run all the way down and refilled it with the good stuff and the car ran great from there and and I pass emissions every two years!
"Really?....some people are simply just too much!"

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:26 am

FuzzieDice wrote:TurbomanKnight - You guys got rooked! For the cost of that 'few bucks' you probably could have had the tune-up anyway!
Actually, no. :lol: You see, my dad is a mechanic, so we did the tune up. I dropped the oil and changed the filters, while my oldman changed the spark plugs and distributer cap. Ran great. 8)

Now I'm in the process of buying the car back from my cousin. I need to get $500 to get it back. Im selling my Turbo Casts for the money. Any generous folks would like to make a donation? :lol:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

tkr9
Operative

Post by tkr9 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:56 pm

Mechanic dads. Brrrrrr, are they as bad as engineers? My dad's an engineer, and I'm supposed to be a girl, but I don't think my dad ever realised it. I was looking at steam engines, power stations, steel rolling mills and aircraft before I ever knew what foundation was for. I'm still not entirely sure who the bloke is in the relationship with my boyfriend.