Who owns rights to Knight Rider? How do you get permission?

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KnightRiderLS1
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Who owns rights to Knight Rider? How do you get permission?

Post by KnightRiderLS1 » Fri May 13, 2005 3:35 am

I assume it is Universal but am not sure.

I am an actor/filmaker and am looking into doing a film about a character who is obsessed with Knight Rider.

I also have a script for the Real Knight Rider movie (not a spoof at all and yes it has KARR).

My intention is to make the spoof film (easier to make and will easily get laughs which equals money) to get attention to present Universal/Hasselhoff with my version of the theatrical Knight Rider.

If I can make the spoof film I would try to get David Hasselhoff to do a cameo (I am in SAG and have access to his agent's contact info, you just call, see what his day rate is and see if he is interested) and give me the chance to meet him and pitch the other script.

It sounds far-fetched but I am in Los Angeles and it isn't the first film I have made.

I have the connections to make the first film and make it a success but just am unsure how to attain the ability to use the name Knight Rider IN the film (not as the film's title) and clips from the original show.

Anyone know anymore than I do? I wanted to post here first because you guys tend to know more about the show than the people out here.

Thanks in advance!!!

KARR_Knight
Rookie

Post by KARR_Knight » Fri May 13, 2005 4:41 am

You really dont need permission to do a fanfilm & i dont think you can get Hasselhoff unless you want to pay big bucks because i doubt he would take the time to do it for a little bit of money. He doesnt show up for the Knight nationals even & thats a big event.
Forget the paremeters of rational thinking -KARR episode 3x06

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri May 13, 2005 2:39 pm

You shouldn't need Universal's permission to mention Knight Rider in a spoof film. General Motors certainly didn't grant Michael Moore permission to make his "Roger & Me" movie, and I'm pretty sue McDonalds didn't give their blessing on "Supersize Me." Those films were free to directly attack the companies, so a light-hearted fan film should be even easier to do.

As far as getting your second script read, by far the best thing to do is be represented by an agent. And a good one. It's difficult enough to get an original script to be read by a studio, but to get a script read for a specific project already in motion is going to be a major problem. It's all about the red tape; you need a way to cut through it. A good agent can do, or knowing somebody who knows somebody can do it.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Re: Who owns rights to Knight Rider? How do you get permiss

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri May 13, 2005 4:29 pm

KnightRiderLS1 wrote:I also have a script for the Real Knight Rider movie (not a spoof at all and yes it has KARR).
How did you get the script to the actual KR movie? Maybe whoever you got it from could help you with contacts.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri May 13, 2005 5:04 pm

I think what he's saying is that he wrote his own script for the movie.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

KnightRiderLS1
Volunteer

Post by KnightRiderLS1 » Fri May 13, 2005 5:30 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

My background is Law (Bachelor's in Pre-Law, took one class in Entertainment Law) and I am pretty sure stuff like Super Size me is legal because it is factual (not slanderous/libel) and other spoofs are fine (like Saturday Night Live) because people know that's what they are.

I am wondering about using actual Knight Rider clips in my movie. I know you always see "_________ clips courtesy of ________ studios" in the credits and was wondering who had the rights to them and how to get permission.

As far as getting DH, you'd be surprised how cheap you can get actors for though. We got Pat Morita, Chong, etc.. for a couple grand each.

A friend is in negotiations for Christopher Walken for his movie.

We figured about $10,000 for David Hasselhoff which sounds expensive but you wouldn't believe how much further a film can go with a name attached to it.

Literary agents don't do much in Hollywood. It's getting to where talent agents don't even do much. It's all about who knows you, believes in your project and has the pull to pitch it to the distributors.

Finally, you are correct, I am writing my own Knight Rider movie. I just want to make sure the movie is done right. Not cheesy and really cool.

I think KITT should be an 82-92 Black Trans-Am.

David Hasselhoff should be in the movie as Michael Knight.

KARR should be in the movie.

and it should have a Gone In 60 Seconds feel to it, not an 80's movie of the week or a Starsky and Hutch spoof.

My plot is that the original T.V. series was actually based off of a real organization.

The organization was dis-banned as technology got advanced and there was no need for vigilante organizations.

But then when KARR is found and resurrected into the wrong hands KITT has to be brought out of retirement to stop him.

In the process we learn how the organization has influenced everything from the look of all the 1982+ Trans-Am's to the GPS Navigation systems in cars today.

The plot would be similar to the first episode (loner cop (someone like Vin Diesel, not goofy Ashton Kutcher and definetly not Paul Walker) driving a newer 2002 Black Trans-Am is brought into aid them, his car is smashed up so while they are repairing it they give him KITT, KARR comes out as a newer model and by the end of the show KITT is a newer model as well but still a BLACK TRANS-AM).

If backed by Universal I would try to get Chip Foose to design the new KITT keeping it as close to the original but in a newer body as possible.

We would also re-vamp the original KITT SLIGHTLY. Just make the electronics look newer (LCD screens, etc...). Again, this is supposed to be the REAL KITT the TV series was based on so he could look a little better and more up to date but still a black 1982 Trans-Am.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri May 13, 2005 5:57 pm

Agreed: the most important thing in Hollywood is to know somebody. But if you don't know somebody, then an agent can help. Because they will know somebody.

The script-writers will probably have very little say as to what the new KITT looks like. I predict much of that will be decided by the product-placement people: if Chevrolet wants to give Universal $50 million to make KITT a Corvette, he's gonna be a Corvette. I am hoping that it doesn't come down to that, but that's the reality of the business.

It's funny how we all want the movie "done right", yet each of us feel very passionately about what that means. Many people want to see KITT in his same '82 body; anything else and it wouldn't be KITT. I personally agree with you and feel it should be an updated car (preferably Trans Am.) Lots of people want to see KARR or Goliath in the movie; I think that's a mistake; you should only bring back old villians in sequels.

One thing which I think we all can agree on is that KITT should talk - it amazes (and frightens) me that for a while the studio was going to go with a non-talking car.

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Fri May 13, 2005 8:22 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote: I think that's a mistake; you should only bring back old villians in sequels.
Kaaaahhhhhhhhnnnnnn!!!!

Sorry. :wink:

I certainly don't have a law background, but I've looked up some of the info on fair use (in regards to fanfic but I think it applies to most media) and it seems like you have a lot of leeway when you're doing a parody. I don't know if that would include using actual clips from the show, but it seems like most things go when you're spoofing something.

KnightRiderLS1
Volunteer

Post by KnightRiderLS1 » Fri May 13, 2005 8:40 pm

Cool, thanks guys! Keep it coming!

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri May 13, 2005 10:33 pm

I want KARR back too! :) I just hope that KARR eventually becomes a GOOD guy though. I always wanted to see him turn around and be good. Who will do his voice? Might want to try the guy who took over as Ghost Host at Disney World's Haunted Mansion. I hear that he sound very much like Paul Frees (Blk/Silver KARR). I would like KARR to have that type of voice. :)

KnightRiderLS1
Volunteer

Post by KnightRiderLS1 » Fri May 13, 2005 11:32 pm

If it were my choice KITT's voice would obviously stay the same.

KARR's voice on the other hand, I couldn't think of a better KARR than James Earl Jones. Lucas probably owns his voice though ;)!