The search has taken over...

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

kittfan69
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

The search has taken over...

Post by kittfan69 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:23 pm

Does anybody else get so wrapped up in all things Knight Rider that whenever they see a 1982-84 firebird in any condition, all they want to do is buy it and convert it? I'm sure I am not alone.

As I sit here on my day off (which also happens to be my 30th birthday), I continue to daydream about what will someday be. I can't help but wonder, would any of you think lesser of a person that could buy a completed replica first before building one at my age and lack of income? I was contemplating this yesterday, when I will someday get a replica of my own.

What would people think--Is he a dedicated fan who built his replica from the ground up with hard work and years of dedication, or is this guy some shmuck who cheated and mearly bought his already complete with no hard work at all. Don't get me wrong, I want more than anything to have the time, money and equipment to do the right thing, but as I sit here 30 years old today, broke and devoid of any good oportunities knocking down my door in the near future, I just want to be able to own and drive one before I am to old and decrepid to do anything at all about my dream.

So please tell me, is it wrong to want to find and buy a completed replica first, then maybe build another one later if things look up? I am fiending for one so bad I could :cry: :D But seriously, I think It would be cool to have one to drive on the weekends and work on the other one the rest of the time.

Izsendorph
Volunteer

Post by Izsendorph » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:41 pm

Ya, whenever I see a Firebird or Trans-Am that's all I think of is how the car would look with Knight replica parts. :D

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:11 pm

I don't think it's wrong to buy an already completed replica or that it would be considered "cheating" paying for a turn-key option. In fact, I think most people would use the turn-key option if they had the extra $40,000 to spare. There are those of us that enjoy working on cars in our spare time and adding our own little gadgets to make our cars unique. But there are also a large number of Trans Am owners that are only working on their cars little by little because they have no other choice.

Not everybody is an auto mechanic or an electronics genius. For those that aren't interested in doing mechanical work themselves or can't, I don't think that takes away their right to own a replica. Just because a person may not want to work on their own car doesn't make it wrong to own a replica! I know for myself personally, I would like to use the turn-key option if I had the money. Is buying the Ertl die-cast KITT as opposed to a buildable one considered cheating? Of course not! It's the same idea.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:36 pm

I'm a "Knight Rider" fan, but I don't have much of an interest in replicating KITT. Sorry.... :wink:
Also, I'm not of the mechanically inclined, either. :shock:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:56 pm

Sometimes. But I love Trans Ams and Firebirds anyway so sometimes I see one and would hate to convert or do anything to it as it'd be in mint condition as-is.

KARR 2000
Rookie

Post by KARR 2000 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:23 am

Lyn wrote:I'm a "Knight Rider" fan, but I don't have much of an interest in replicating KITT. Sorry.... :wink:
Also, I'm not of the mechanically inclined, either. :shock:
Don't worry about that after all haw many times do we see Michael working on KITT in the series?
So...... I have no idea what to write here.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:19 am

Lost Knight wrote:I don't think it's wrong to buy an already completed replica or that it would be considered "cheating" paying for a turn-key option. In fact, I think most people would use the turn-key option if they had the extra $40,000 to spare. There are those of us that enjoy working on cars in our spare time and adding our own little gadgets to make our cars unique. But there are also a large number of Trans Am owners that are only working on their cars little by little because they have no other choice.

Not everybody is an auto mechanic or an electronics genius. For those that aren't interested in doing mechanical work themselves or can't, I don't think that takes away their right to own a replica. Just because a person may not want to work on their own car doesn't make it wrong to own a replica! I know for myself personally, I would like to use the turn-key option if I had the money. Is buying the Ertl die-cast KITT as opposed to a buildable one considered cheating? Of course not! It's the same idea.
Totally agree with you and your analogy with the ERTL car is spot on. We all have talents but not everyone is equiped to builld a replica. Heck, I'll be suprised if I could keep it running without running into trouble. I think there may be a hard-core group who may think otherwise, but its your choice at the end of the day. I wouldn't care less what others thought about buying a replica or building it. If you want one bad but don't have the means to build it, theres really only one choice and thats to get on thats already been made.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

kittfan69
Recruit

Post by kittfan69 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:32 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I was needing an opinion from some of you out there who have been "around the Knight Rider block" longer than I have. Granted, I have been a fan since the 80's, I kind of lost track for a while. I know that I may be going through a really large rough patch, but eventually I will be able to quench my hunger for the "quentisential" fans' dream - obtaining and driving a replica of the legend himself (KITT)! :D .

I just wanted to ask so as not to offend any hardcore fans out there of my ideas. Thanks again! :)

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:13 am

....I wouldn't bother with causing an offense with this issue. Its your choice, not theirs.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"