KITT's Top Speed

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KNIGHT RAIDER
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KITT's Top Speed

Post by KNIGHT RAIDER » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:52 pm

I have always wondered what KITT's top speed was, for we constantly see his digital speedometer fluctuating throughout every episode. We all know KITT can travel well over 200mph, even in Super Pursuit Mode, but I can never recall a time when they showed KITT's speedometer numbers holding when he is at maximum speed. Hopefully they will make KITT even faster in the upcoming movie, somewhere in the 400mph range. :D
I don't need no "Wizard Of Oz Car" putting me behind the 8 ball, for nothing. LOL (The Rev)

All they did was blow away a "Ringmaster", they didn't even steal any hamburgers. LOL (Michael)

Keon2005
Rookie

Post by Keon2005 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:12 am

I think in the episode about the Indian reservation when Kitt was is SPM with that scientist and his daughter, KITTSs speedometer did hit 300.

chrisebourg
Operative

Re: KITT's Top Speed

Post by chrisebourg » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:32 pm

KNIGHT RAIDER wrote:I have always wondered what KITT's top speed was, for we constantly see his digital speedometer fluctuating throughout every episode. We all know KITT can travel well over 200mph, even in Super Pursuit Mode, but I can never recall a time when they showed KITT's speedometer numbers holding when he is at maximum speed. Hopefully they will make KITT even faster in the upcoming movie, somewhere in the 400mph range. :D
It's funny that you mention this because the other day, I was watching a KR episode. You always see the speedometer going from say 30-40 and couting very quickly above 100+ but seems that the acceleration vs what you actually see on screen doesn't corrolate... ? If KITT was accelerating this fast, the speedometer would actually reach over 200 in no time but you're right on the dot, we never see it this high. Interesting.

:P

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:59 pm

I guess his acceleration slows? drastically...?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:19 pm

Yeah, one time in Super Pursuit Mode, K.I.T.T. went over 300 mph.

But K.I.T.T. should have a realistic top speed. Even with sophisticated parts and such, it's still a regular medium sized car and it can flip, loose traction like any other.
Especially if the road has been freashly rained on.
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:25 pm

I am pretty sure after he went head on with Goliath and Michael jerry-rigged the ram jet that KITT's speedometer hit around 425. But that was not under normal conditions. I think one time I was watching the episodes through and KITT went faster with Pursuit than SPM. I thought this was silly.

-Steve

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:14 pm

KnightCrusader99 wrote:I am pretty sure after he went head on with Goliath and Michael jerry-rigged the ram jet that KITT's speedometer hit around 425. But that was not under normal conditions. I think one time I was watching the episodes through and KITT went faster with Pursuit than SPM. I thought this was silly.

-Steve
In "Goliath", KITT did mention that they were traveling at 310 mph.
If you don't make a difference, you are not the Knight Rider.

Deferranfan1
Operative

Post by Deferranfan1 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:38 pm

A realistice speed for a car like that would be no more then 200 mph, Now some major boday work would have to be done for it to be albe to handle at 200mpg even ant 160+.
K.A.R.R. STILL LIVES
:kittspin:

reverber
Rookie

RE: Read past posts

Post by reverber » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:46 am

obviously none of you read the previous post i made, they have made a pontiac transam 1982 with stock factory aero package travel at 277 mph it runs a turbo charged engine running at 25 psi
they also made one which had a slightly modified air scoop with stock factory aero package and that did 300 mph obviously to take corners at this speed youd need more then the stock aero package, but why would you want to take a corner at 300 mph any way? include is the link to the previous discussion.

http://knightrideronline.com/phpbb/view ... ht=277+mph

reverber
Rookie

Re Ooops

Post by reverber » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:55 am

also with the new type of suspension thats arounfd now that makes it possible to have 0 lean on a car when cornering it would be incredibly possible to go and maneouver even reasonable bends at high speed. im not sure what its called but it has a bunch of sensors sensing different things and as the cars body is put under force to make it roll the suppension on the outside of the curve gets harder and taller and the suspension on the inside of the curve gets softer. and shorter but not proportional to eachother, but so that it gives maximum traction when cornering at spedd. if any one knows what im talking about please feel free to tell me

1982K.I.T.T.
Recruit

Post by 1982K.I.T.T. » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:37 am

In an episode in season 1 (can't recall which one), a police radar had KITT rapidly accelerating and it stopped at 225 because the radar was maxed out.

tharpdevenport
Operative

Re: Re Ooops

Post by tharpdevenport » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:51 pm

reverber wrote:also with the new type of suspension thats arounfd now that makes it possible to have 0 lean on a car when cornering it would be incredibly possible to go and maneouver even reasonable bends at high speed. im not sure what its called but it has a bunch of sensors sensing different things and as the cars body is put under force to make it roll the suppension on the outside of the curve gets harder and taller and the suspension on the inside of the curve gets softer. and shorter but not proportional to eachother, but so that it gives maximum traction when cornering at spedd. if any one knows what im talking about please feel free to tell me

But what about traction? At some point, no matter how high tech those rubber wheels are, they are going to loose contact with the road.

Cars excelorating at high speeds, like race cars, have actually had their front end go up into the air. I've seen it on TV - not series, but specials on like Discovery channel.

And this all doesn't cover the condition of the road.
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.

reverber
Rookie

Post by reverber » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:04 pm

thats just it they cant lose traction cos the tires stay flat and in contact with the road ok. i found out what its called it is Linear Electromagnetic Suspension it even sounds like something from night rider, ok i got slightly confused but it looks awseome

Basic suspension types including the above
http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbible ... bible.html

webpage for electromagnetic suspension
http://www.bose.com/learning/project_so ... ension.jsp

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:17 pm

Hahahahahaah! It really does sound like something straight out of Knight Rider, Linear Electromagnetic Suspension. And the site even talks about the 'Macpherson strut'! (yeah, I know that's not how she spells it)

That is pretty cool though.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:11 pm

I think Chariot of Gold put it best, when commenting that "it's not how fast can this car go. But, how fast do you want it to go", as far as KITT's speed is concerned. (Ironically, Gram never had KITT drive more then a couple feet. If KITT was the key to making an impossible crime impossibly easy, I didn't see it. Couldn't someone have blown those security systems another way???)

kittfan69
Recruit

Post by kittfan69 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:11 pm

There are many components of physics that can effect how a certain vehicle will handle. Many elements such as speed, weight, windspeed, traction, road conditions, lift/drag, aerodynamic design etc... The faster a car is driven, it must be compensated with downward thrust to counter lift from the incoming air. If KITT were designed with a modern NASCAR body kit, he would definitely have less trouble handling those high-speed strait-aways, but those bumps would be a mother!

reverber
Rookie

Post by reverber » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:53 pm

hence the new suspension. follow the links watch the movies.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:01 pm

The spedometer means apsalutely nothing.If you notice in the episode kitt the cat,you will see that when kitt breaks into the alleyway in auto cruise,the spedometer still goes up and hes in park or neutral,point is hes not movieng.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:12 pm

Knight Racer wrote:The spedometer means apsalutely nothing.If you notice in the episode kitt the cat,you will see that when kitt breaks into the alleyway in auto cruise,the spedometer still goes up and hes in park or neutral,point is hes not movieng.
Thats probably the Tachometer. :?:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:25 pm

1982K.I.T.T. wrote:In an episode in season 1 (can't recall which one), a police radar had KITT rapidly accelerating and it stopped at 225 because the radar was maxed out.
===

Now that I am watching the episodes from DVD, (and how many episodes seem all new, all over...) I would say that I wouldn't trust the readout on that radar gun. After all, the cop smacked it around to make it malfunction. So, who's to say that it was functioning correctly when it maxed out. (Interestingly enough, 255 is a special number in the computer world. Especially in the earlier days. Not sure why.)

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:46 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:
Knight Racer wrote:The spedometer means apsalutely nothing.If you notice in the episode kitt the cat,you will see that when kitt breaks into the alleyway in auto cruise,the spedometer still goes up and hes in park or neutral,point is hes not movieng.
Thats probably the Tachometer. :?:
Take a close look you will see its both the spedometer and techometer.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:44 am

I think KITT's top end would only be limited by his aerodynamics. I know in physics there is a maximum land speed achievable due to friction, gravity and all that stuff. I doubt KITT has ever achieved his maximum speed. I'm sure there's a computer program somewhere that can calculate it based on jet physics and KITT's body.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:46 am

One problem with looking at the displays in those cut away scenes is that when the show was produced in the editing suites, THEY JUST DIDN'T PAY ATTENTION to what they were doing! I've noticed that time and time again, when KITT starts his engine on Auto Pilot and shifts into reverse, he's starting up in DRIVE!!! I mean, how hard is it to have a standard shot of the stick going from P to R??? Sure, some things are forgivable, like when there are tire marks left on the road from previous stunt attempts. But, to error so often on selecting a simple 3 second shot like the dash shots??? A few minutes of better labling the stock footage and explicit instructions in the script could have solved that.