KITT, The Envy of Camaro Fans

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KNIGHT RAIDER
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KITT, The Envy of Camaro Fans

Post by KNIGHT RAIDER » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:50 pm

In just about everything, there is always a counterpart. In this case, there are counterparts of certain automobiles. When KITT was in development, I wondered if the design team had any early plans on using a Camaro body before going with the sleeker Firebird Trans Am in the final design draft.

When Knight Rider hit TV screens back in 82, I always wondered how Camaro fans and owners felt when their favorite car was being dissed in favor of the Trans Am. I bet there are alot of KITT wanna be Camaros on the road today, trying to pass for the real article . As KARR would say regarding all Camaros, what you saw was an inferior production line model, a pale copy of the original.
I don't need no "Wizard Of Oz Car" putting me behind the 8 ball, for nothing. LOL (The Rev)

All they did was blow away a "Ringmaster", they didn't even steal any hamburgers. LOL (Michael)

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:22 pm

Knight Raider- Most likely they either didn't care or that they knew the true reason behind why Trans-Ams ended being KITT (hint: Happy accident for MCA/Universal, or some say here).

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:47 pm

In the commentary, Larson said he saw the new Trans AM coming out. He liked the sleek design and cool lines. So that was his first contender for the spot. The only other car that would have been great for the show would have been the 1986.5-1989 Toyota Supra. It had the perfect opening for a scanner. It could have also been modded to look even more sleeker. 8)
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:49 pm

I don't think Camaro fans have anything to envy about the 1982 Firebird at the time. Sure the Trans Am had the sleaker body, but the Camaro had the better engine. Chevy owners didn't have to change powerplants as opposed to Firebird owners who had to "upgrade" their engines to Chevy standards.

Crovax Ws-6
Rookie

Post by Crovax Ws-6 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:54 pm

Camaro Fans envy no one. They have no reason too. There are more camaros in movies and TV then firebirds.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:31 am

After 81 didn't all GMs use Chevy engines?

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:39 am

yes by the late 70s (78-79) with the exception of i think oldsmobile all GM cars across the line shared the same engines so 82-92 F bodies (camaro and firebird/trans am) shared the same drivetrains (motor and trans and suspension and brakes etc) and this was the case till the F body stopped production in the 2002 model year.
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:08 am

If its not the engine, then it must be the name. More people bought Chevrolets than Pontiacs because they think it is the better car, even though they both shared the same components.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:09 pm

I think it had to do with price. When my Grandfather bought his Camaro in 95, he chose his Z-28 over a Trans Am because there was almost a 10,000 dollar difference in price. Camaros are always the cheaper option. I believe that's why more of them sold. A base model Firebird typically came more loaded than a top of the line Camaro.

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:47 pm

Ah, but sometimes the Camaro does make to the small screen, even Knight Rider. Remember the Red Rooster from "The Nineteenth Hole"?
If you don't make a difference, you are not the Knight Rider.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:04 pm

Remeber the car KITT whips around after going into SPM for the first time in Knight of the Juggernaut. I believe it's a 3rd gen Camaro.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:57 pm

Crovax Ws-6 wrote:There are more camaros in movies and TV then firebirds.
Maybe you're right there, or maybe not, but the Trans Ams that were in movies and TV had a bigger impact on pop culture than Camaros. The Rockford Files, Smokey and the Bandit, Knight Rider (obviously), and many others.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:18 pm

Yup, I believe the Firebird and Mustang (Bullit, Gone in 60 seconds-both, Cherry 2000, TKR) are the biggest movie car icons.

pewter 02ws6
Operative

Post by pewter 02ws6 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:31 pm

Crovax Ws-6 wrote:Camaro Fans envy no one. They have no reason too. There are more camaros in movies and TV then firebirds.
i think you're wrong on this one. i can't think of one movie or tv show where the camaro was used as part of the show or movie or even stood out from any car in either.wait.. there is fast times at ridgemont high???the firebird/trans am was used in and was the star of many movies and tv shows. granted i haven't seen every movie out there but i can say that the trans am's from the 3 smokey and the bandit movies, the rockford files,knight rider,b.j. and the bear,chip's,dazed and confused,the wraith,corvette summer just to name a few, all stick out in my mind but i can't think of one camaro :?
as far as envy goes, i doubt that they really do but i started and belong to a very large f-body club and there is always the friendly taste great less filling war between camaro's and firebirds and it usually gets ended with... did you see david hasselhoff or burt reynolds driving a camaro in their movies or shows????? only to get a grumble as a response :lol:

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:18 pm

Glen Larson must have liked the Firebird and Trans Am so much that in one scene there was a blue Firebird in the opposite lane from KITT.
If you don't make a difference, you are not the Knight Rider.