Inside Out Pontiac Commercial?

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Inside Out Pontiac Commercial?

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:31 am

Remember the KR season 1 episode Inside Out where the two cops watch KITT jump them and the one cop goes "What was that?" and the other goes "A Pontiac"? I think that would have been a perfect Pontiac commercial! TurbomanKnight even agreed it should have been used as the commercial for the '82 Pontiac. But then by then they were having enough people jumping around in T/As and wanting Pontiac to make KITT's for them. :lol:

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:58 pm

that woulda been great! But GM are bunch of idiots. Just as stupid as they were for forbidding the show to say Trans Am.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

KNIGHT RAIDER
Operative

Post by KNIGHT RAIDER » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:32 am

I think the very least that GM and Pontiac could have done for us die hards was to come out with limited Edition KITT Trans Ams, just like the one on the TV show.
I don't need no "Wizard Of Oz Car" putting me behind the 8 ball, for nothing. LOL (The Rev)

All they did was blow away a "Ringmaster", they didn't even steal any hamburgers. LOL (Michael)

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:53 am

KNIGHT RAIDER wrote:I think the very least that GM and Pontiac could have done for us die hards was to come out with limited Edition KITT Trans Ams, just like the one on the TV show.
I guarantee most people who might buy one, might think it can Turbo Boost right off the showroom floor. It would be mighty expensive to build, and GM would probably make a lmited amount of them.
Last edited by TurbomanKnight on Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Phoenix915
Operative

Post by Phoenix915 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:45 am

I remember hearing that Ford made a limited edition Starsky and Hutch car because people wanted a Ford that looked like the one on TV. I'm suprised Pontiac didn't do something similar when so many people started coming into Pontiac dealerships wanting cars that looked like KITT. Maybe it was because KITT wasn't 'street legal'...
Last edited by Phoenix915 on Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KNIGHT RAIDER
Operative

Post by KNIGHT RAIDER » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:28 pm

The only parts of KITT I believe would not be street legal are his red scanner light and his aircraft style steering wheel.
I don't need no "Wizard Of Oz Car" putting me behind the 8 ball, for nothing. LOL (The Rev)

All they did was blow away a "Ringmaster", they didn't even steal any hamburgers. LOL (Michael)

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:08 pm

The wheel definitely. But the scanner they could leave on and have it rigged so that it can not be turned on if the engine is on (to make sure you are not driving with the scanner on which WOULD be illegal).

Also the TV screens would have to be configured like the scanner as TV screens turned on while not in park is also illegal in many areas.

Outside of that, and the fact the car wouldn't be able to do smoke screens, oil slicks, turbo boosts or go in excess of maybe 120 mph, the car would be ok on the street. In fact, the 1986 Pontiac 6000 STE/SE's had a digital dash with a speedometer setup similar to KITT's.

Phoenix915
Operative

Post by Phoenix915 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:19 pm

Then Pontiac had no excuse to not give KR fans what they want! We demand mass-produced street-legal KITT's! :D

A commercial from 'Inside Out' would've been neat. I just saw a promo online for KR that had a young Micheal Long failing his driving test for the sixth time. It was funny because today I just got my Learner's Permit. :wink:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:42 pm

I saw that trailer! :lol: Where the white sedan turns into KITT after they are about to jump? That was just too funny. :)

If Pontiac made street-legal KITT's it better come with voice-alarm and voice notification systems in KITT's voice (like "your door is ajar" or "Your lights are on", etc) at the very least. It should have the very latest in car technology!

And they should make a KARR (two tone silver/black as well as a black version both with yellow scanners) for KARR fans. :)

Oh yeah, and when the voice speaks, there should be a corresponding vox box display. ;)
Last edited by FuzzieDice on Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:29 pm

Congrats Phoenix915! :dance: :dance:

I think back then all those features will bring up a hefty price tag. :? By now all those things would be obsolete. But it would be cool for it's time. 8)
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:30 pm

Like I said, they're idiots. Even if they wouldn't make a limited edition Knight 2000. Why on Earth wouldn't they allow the show to call it a Trans Am, its so stupid. Now, I have no love of Ford's I assure you, but apparently they have a better business department.

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:38 pm

Isn't it true that Pontiac around 84-86 wanted to create a special edition KITT firebird with the dash, rims, and everything? But the bad news I heard is that someone had one and jumped over a train and they cancelled it, Is this true?

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:57 pm

GM supported Smokey and the Bandit and actually produced Bandit edition T/As, but KR (which was equally stunt laden) was to much for them.

I don't think a fully converted car would have been pratical, but an all black T/A with tan interior, PMD seat, Turbo cast wheels and a endura rubber KITT nose (without the light but the opening for legalities. Put one in your self) would have been totally feasable. Granted the Bandit was a stock 77 or 80 Trans Am so GM didn't really have to do much work, but for a KR edition all they would really need to do different would be the nose.

I agree GM is a bunch of idiots. I saw one of those new fangled GTOs today. That confirmed it for me. Yeah, lets replace the Trans Am and Camaro with a sedan, but we'll put the same engine in it that the Trans Am and Camaro ran. It'll have to have less power and cost more of course. People will love it and buy them up by the hundreds.

When I think about GM marketing and decision meetings I can almost see a bunch of people dressed like Dr. Weird from Aqua Teen Hunger Force wildly waving their arms and spouting gibberish. "Next year all GTOs will be pink. Lets us now huff scotch guard.....MMMMWWWWWAAAAAHHHHHHH."

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:29 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:I agree GM is a bunch of idiots. I saw one of those new fangled GTOs today. That confirmed it for me. Yeah, lets replace the Trans Am and Camaro with a sedan, but we'll put the same engine in it that the Trans Am and Camaro ran. It'll have to have less power and cost more of course. People will love it and buy them up by the hundreds.
Yeah, those new GTO's Blow. :?
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:52 am

But GM are bunch of idiots. Just as stupid as they were for forbidding the show to say Trans Am.
I am no great fan of GM- none of their original Chevrolet cars sell here- just Daewoos (one of them sells as a Suzuki in the US!), Isuzus and Subarus (mostly out of production) with the Chevy badge! Silly....then there's a small, silly-looking sedan that sells as an Opel here in India but as a Buick in China!

By the way, "Trans Am" is mentioned in "Trust Doesn't Rust" twice, but nowhere is the word "Firebird" mentioned. Why?

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:32 pm

Army_F_Body wrote: I agree GM is a bunch of idiots. I saw one of those new fangled GTOs today. That confirmed it for me.
Man, you don't want to get me started on the new GTO! :evil: :P

You're right though. Now days all you see on the road that is 'new' are what a friend of mine calls "jellybeans". Pink? Ya, they'll have that too (no need to give them ideas). LOL!

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:38 pm

Arjun wrote:By the way, "Trans Am" is mentioned in "Trust Doesn't Rust" twice, but nowhere is the word "Firebird" mentioned. Why?
Hey, I didn't even notice that! I wonder why too. In the early '80's commercial for those style Pontiacs, they had three versions:

The Pontiac Firebird - Budget sports car, basic entry-level
The Pontiac Firebird SE - A "Special Edition" Firebird with extra features and power, and more of a "luxury" sports car than the Firebird
The Pontiac Firebird Trans Am - The Sporty version of the Firebird.

Note that there was only ONE Trans Am that carried the old Firebird Trans Am tradition of the 70s. The other two were NOT Trans-Ams but offshoots from the original sportscar - the Firebird. Note only called "Firebird" and not Trans Am.

KITT could have been a combination of these if some of the stunt and the hero cars weren't the Firebird Trans Am model but may have been just Firebirds or Firebird SE's. I haven't a clue which actual models they used for the show.
Last edited by FuzzieDice on Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:38 pm

All Trans Ams are Firebirds, but a Trans Am is the top of the line Firebird. I guess it just sounds more impressive. Look at all the ricers. It's the same reason they strip all the DX badging off their Civics and replace them with the more impressive sounding Type R or RX badges. I once saw a 95 Camaro with a type R badge. I wanted to wait for the owner to get into it so I could give him his idiot sign.

My Honda proudly sports it's DX badging :)

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:51 pm

Army_F_Body wrote: Yeah, lets replace the Trans Am and Camaro with a sedan, but we'll put the same engine in it that the Trans Am and Camaro ran.
While I do agree with you wholeheartedly, I feel I must say that the GTO is not a sedan, its a coupe, but, by all means, continue :wink:

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:23 pm

Yeah it is a 2-door, huh. It just looks like it should be a 4 door.

My bad. Thanks, Cloudkitt.

Crovax Ws-6
Rookie

Post by Crovax Ws-6 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:49 pm

cloudkitt wrote:that woulda been great! But GM are bunch of idiots. Just as stupid as they were for forbidding the show to say Trans Am.
They were forbidden from saying it becuase They got tired of pontiac dealers gettign flooded with requests for the. They could never have made the car to suit the fans. We all would want a functioning scanner, which would be illegal. The Dash would have cost them SOO much money to make that it wouldnt have been feasible. TO make the TVs work they woudl ahve had to install camers, a technology which wasnt developed enough to really work. The steering wheel was also illegal, and they couldnt have put that into the car.

I think GM made a good decision to try to make a KITT version of the firebird. Because unlike the Starsky and Hutch car or the Bandit trans am, this car had more then just a distinctive paintjob to make it KITT. This had features, that Everyone would have wanted that could not have been included. That would have pissed off the people who would want to buy it and they never would have sold any of them.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:50 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:All Trans Ams are Firebirds, but a Trans Am is the top of the line Firebird. I guess it just sounds more impressive. Look at all the ricers. It's the same reason they strip all the DX badging off their Civics and replace them with the more impressive sounding Type R or RX badges. I once saw a 95 Camaro with a type R badge. I wanted to wait for the owner to get into it so I could give him his idiot sign.

My Honda proudly sports it's DX badging :)
You should see my neighborhood. All these ricers sport Civic's with their fart cans and Huge @$$ Spoilers. Makes me want to introduce their car to my baseball bat.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Crovax Ws-6
Rookie

Post by Crovax Ws-6 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:57 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:
I agree GM is a bunch of idiots. I saw one of those new fangled GTOs today. That confirmed it for me. Yeah, lets replace the Trans Am and Camaro with a sedan, but we'll put the same engine in it that the Trans Am and Camaro ran. It'll have to have less power and cost more of course. People will love it and buy them up by the hundreds.
The Gto is not a sedan, it is only 2 doors. IT also has the Exact same engine that the Camaro and firebird did. The LS-1. Nothing was changed. and next year it is gettin the LS-2 with 400 hp. I agree it does look a lot like a cavalier if you quickly glance at it. but other then that i still think its not a bad car. They definately shouldnt have cancelled the Camaro and Firebird for it, but they did and theres nothign we can do about it now.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:06 pm

Crovax Ws-6 wrote:
cloudkitt wrote:that woulda been great! But GM are bunch of idiots. Just as stupid as they were for forbidding the show to say Trans Am.
They were forbidden from saying it becuase They got tired of pontiac dealers gettign flooded with requests for the. They could never have made the car to suit the fans. We all would want a functioning scanner, which would be illegal. The Dash would have cost them SOO much money to make that it wouldnt have been feasible. TO make the TVs work they woudl ahve had to install camers, a technology which wasnt developed enough to really work. The steering wheel was also illegal, and they couldnt have put that into the car.

I think GM made a good decision to try to make a KITT version of the firebird. Because unlike the Starsky and Hutch car or the Bandit trans am, this car had more then just a distinctive paintjob to make it KITT. This had features, that Everyone would have wanted that could not have been included. That would have pissed off the people who would want to buy it and they never would have sold any of them.
It doesn't matter. Who cares about the requests they got for a KITT Trans Am it's FREE ADVERTISING! Any business sector of a corporation with any kind of brains behind it would see that. Just like Fuzzie Dice said, "What was that?!" "...A pontiac." Was an excellent commercial. They could simply ignore the requests.

Besides Crovax, you really think that calling it a "black T-top" really made people forget it what it was. It's obviously a Trans Am whether they say it or not. And so all calling it a Trans Am in the show would do is provide free advertising. And THAT, is why I think they are, or at the very least, were, a bunch morons.

Crovax Ws-6
Rookie

Post by Crovax Ws-6 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:35 am

lol for once in the quto industry it was publicity they really didnt want. Now ill bet they sold a lot of Black trans ams from people wanting kitt anyway, and by looking at all the replica companies, people found a way to turn the car into the KITT they wanted. But there was no way GM was ever going to do that, so they didnt want to be associated witht eh car. Even though in the credits it says, "some cars funished by the pontiac motor division" or something along those lines.

No calling it a Black T-top definately didnt hide the fact that it was a trans am, but then the show couldnt get in trouble for sending people to the dealers asking for the cars. Pontiac gave them the trans am to use, if people went there and said i want the car form knight rider i think its a firebird, then the only person they have to kick is them selves for giving them the car. If someone came in and said i want a black trans am like Kitt and the people like that not a trans am or we dont have that, and the people say well they said it was a trans am on the show. I guess it would be false advertsieing. Even though the car it self is false advertiseing. I dunno. Thats just my take on the situation. If people want one that bad, they can fork out the 35k-40K for a Turn key car.