planet hollywood auctioning Knight Rider items

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

planet hollywood auctioning Knight Rider items

Post by neps » Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:17 pm

Seems Planet Hollywood is having an eBay garage sale to make some money since their chain isn't doing so hot.

A few items of interest:
PHW5 : License Plate from "Knight Rider" Current Bid US $300 Estimate: 1200 to 1500
http://cgi.sothebys.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA ... 2150005198

PHW5 : K.I.T.T. miniature from "Knight Rider" Current Bid US $406.52. Estimate: 4000 to 5000
http://cgi.sothebys.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA ... 2150005199

Happy bidding to those with a couple grand lying around!

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:54 pm

Strange license plate. I can't figure out who the signatures are. And I'm not sure what the deal is with the other plate on the back. Maybe they needed a Canadian plate for some other filming at Universal and they just grabbed an old existing KR plate to use?

I got a KNIGHT plate from a Universal auction a few years ago... Nothing on the back.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Sat Dec 07, 2002 4:01 pm

:?: Um...is there a reason that miniature is so expensive?? I dont see an autograph on it. Was it a one of a kind or something? Or is that just a scheme to make some money.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Dec 07, 2002 4:15 pm

It's probably one of the miniatures they used on-screen, which would increase the value a lot.

I'm not sure if this is the exact same model, but the Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas had a KITT miniature on display:

Mike

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Sat Dec 07, 2002 4:52 pm

Michael,
Wow, YOU can't even figure out who the autographs are from on the license plate?? That's an easy one for me and I knew in the first 2 seconds looking at the eBay pic that it's David's autograph. It's very distinct and almost unmistakable. I'd have to see the other autograph but my guess is maybe it's Glen larson or another cast member? Anyway, there's one clue for ya! 8)
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:22 pm

I'd hardly call that scribble unmistakable! But I'm sure that's who it is too.

And now, I realize I'm playing some conspiracy games here, but hear me out: I question the authenticity of the plate.

When I saw the auction photo, I compared it to my own plate and noticed some differences. At first, I thought maybe mine was inaccurate. So I compared them to probably the best license shot we have in the series: the scene in Brothers Keeper when the plate changes from Knight to KNI667. Left to Right are the plates from Brothers Keeper, the Planet Hollywood Auction, and the Universal Studios auction.

Ignore the color differences: that can be explained by different lighting conditions. But notice the differences in the letter K, and the positions of the screw holes relative to the letters. The Planet Hollywood plate is different.

What does this mean? Probably nothing. I'm sure they had dozens of plates made up over the course of 4 seasons. But it does surprise me that they wouldn't all be the same. And what IS the deal with the Canadian plate on the back? And why doesn't Sothebys specifically name who autographed the plate? For a $100-$200 item, I wouldn't think twice. But if they expect it to go for $1500, I'd want some more info before I bid on it.

And I know who REALLY shot JFK.

Mike

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:55 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote: What does this mean? Probably nothing. I'm sure they had dozens of plates made up over the course of 4 seasons. But it does surprise me that they wouldn't all be the same. And what IS the deal with the Canadian plate on the back? And why doesn't Sothebys specifically name who autographed the plate? For a $100-$200 item, I wouldn't think twice. But if they expect it to go for $1500, I'd want some more info before I bid on it.
one thing I noticed, although it might be just my experience from new jersey plates, but it appears as if the Canadian Plate is the actual, and the KNIGHT side is on the back side of the plate. The curved line around the edge of the plate go in, and in jersey that line is raised.

also, from the minor experience i have dealing with movie productions, things aren't always made the way they should and sometimes they are reused. for instance the letters on the plate may not be pressed into the metal but painted or screened on. and in an effort to save money they probably just used the plate from another project.

BabsBunny
Rookie

Post by BabsBunny » Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:42 pm

KITT's license plates are being auctioned off? Man! That means poor KITT is out there somewhere running around naked! :P

Babs Bunny

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Dec 08, 2002 2:39 am

juggernautspm wrote:Babs, that is the most idiotic remark that I have ever read in this KRO forum.
People should not be insulting members of this board with their very first message. That's not the way to make friends around here.

Mike

Trekie386
Operative

Post by Trekie386 » Sun Dec 08, 2002 7:17 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:
juggernautspm wrote:Babs, that is the most idiotic remark that I have ever read in this KRO forum.
People should not be insulting members of this board with their very first message. That's not the way to make friends around here.

Mike
I agree with you Mike. That was a little bit harsh to jump on Bab's case like that. It was just a remark made in fun. No need to bash poor Babs.

As to the auctions: I found another one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 1874434622

Go check that out and tell me if you'd pay that price.

Beth C

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Sun Dec 08, 2002 12:49 pm

That looks a nice car....but, is it me or does the scanner look smaller then it should????
Im not sure on the decals lol :lol:

K.I.T.T

BabsBunny
Rookie

Post by BabsBunny » Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:12 pm

Yeah, the decals have got to go. But other than that, it looks like a nice car!

In the meantime, thanks for the kind words fellas.:) And yeah, it WAS supposed to be a joke! But you guys all know that by now..*grins*

Babs Bunny

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Sun Dec 08, 2002 6:46 pm

K.I.T.T wrote:That looks a nice car....but, is it me or does the scanner look smaller then it should????
Im not sure on the decals lol :lol:

K.I.T.T
Yeah the scanner definately looks smaller in the pic, maybe the picture got a lousy angle, if not then the nose is incorrect. The decals arent too bad, they give the car a nice little "custom" look to it. I guess the car is a custom already being KITT, but it kinda seperates it from all the other replicas.

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:36 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:It's probably one of the miniatures they used on-screen, which would increase the value a lot.

I'm not sure if this is the exact same model, but the Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas had a KITT miniature on display:

Mike
It's the same thing with the miniature. Let's say im gonna buy that miniature, it shouldn't be the case where we're saying it's "probably one of the ones they used on screen". The auction should definately have it stated on there, along with the autographed plate like Mike stated above.

I dunno i'm seeing a money making scheme here. None of these auctions have much information on them, and for that kinda price there shouldn't be any question.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:38 pm

Looks like the license plate sold for $630, about half of the auction site estimate. I found some publicity photos with a similar style "K" on the plate, so I feel more comfortable thinking it's authentic. But for that much money I still say the site should have had much more detail about the autographs.

THe last bid on the model was $1316, but it didn't meet reserve. They estimated it would go for $4000-$5000. I'm not sure if they were crazy or naive, but that did sound like a high price to me.

Who knows, the model may go up for auction again another time.

Mike

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:02 am

For 3 g's.. yeah, I might pay that... its got a great start... but its a better donar car than I can find around here...
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6