Where were you when....

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

midniterider
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Where were you when....

Post by midniterider » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:20 pm

the pilot episode of Knight Rider was aired for the very first time?

I was at home, just long enough to see the pilot episode, get hooked in a bad way, right before I had to report to Air Force Basic Training. I was already so addicted to KR that I couldn't stand it. During the rare times we could watch a little TV in the dayroom on the weekend, I usually took over the TV to get a glimpse of this cool new series. Usually people who seen it remarked about the new Trans Am look! :roll:

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:31 pm

i don't know for sure what i was doing on the night it aired, i was five at the time lol, but i didn't see it. as i have mentioned in another thread somewhere however, the next day my late granda ted told me about this brilliant film he had seen the night before about a talking car that could drive itself, jump over things and drive on two wheels, and that it was going to be on every week from then on. from the following week i was hooked, as was my entire family! :D

it's one of the very few memories i have left of my granda as he died when i was still young, but i like to think that knight rider is something he handed down to me in a way... :) ...as it's thanks to him that at 26 i'm still hooked!
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:50 pm

My dad always liked to watch the newest stuff when it came out. Every night my dad and I (and sometimes my mother) would sit at the TV and watch. We had our "regular shows" we'd watch each night every week. My dad though that this new Knight Rider sounded interesting and me being a BIG Trans Am fan thought so to so we saw the pilot. And from then on that is what we watched on that day every week. I think at one point they did move the show to another time/day I don't recall, but no matter what, we still were sure to find when it's on and see it. :)

I remember seeing the pilot episode and it being the first time I saw the "new" Trans Am model (being that I LOVED the "Bandit" Trans Ams from Smokey and the Bandit) I said to my dad "That's no Trans Am! I don't know what the hell that is!" But by the end of the show I really loved the 'new' car and couldn't wait to see KITT again. :)

By then I had already dropped out of high school and was home schooling studying Commercial Art (I got great grades and got my certificate 2 years later :) ) and Computer Programming (among other things) so I didn't have to be in bed by a certain time and could stay up and see these shows. I was glad of that! :)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:05 pm

I was in a crib probably sleeping because I was born only two months earlier. :D
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Fantine
Operative

Post by Fantine » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:25 pm

Toddling about a farm in SE Ohio.... :wink:

Oddly enough I can recall my dad watching it at a later early 80's date...probably season 3 or 4. He didn't watch it often but the fact "the guy on TV" had a talking car stuck with me. :D

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:37 pm

out in the Cosmic nothingness before I found my soul found a home in in my body 4 years later :lol:
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Knight Girl
Operative

Post by Knight Girl » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:01 pm

I was 12 then and fell in love with Kitt and then I hit 14 and fell in love with Michael Knight. LOL

Scully

midniterider
Recruit

Post by midniterider » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:04 am

Wow! I didn't realize how much I was pre-dating myself! I guess I'm getting old! ~GROAN!~

:(

chrisebourg
Operative

Post by chrisebourg » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:03 am

I was 7 years old, shhhh, don't tell anyone.... I frankly don't remember where are was.... :P

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:04 am

I was also probably in my crib, seeing that five months old at that time. But when I was four, I definately remember watching it.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Re: Where were you when....

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:53 am

midniterider wrote: During the rare times we could watch a little TV in the dayroom on the weekend, I usually took over the TV to get a glimpse of this cool new series. Usually people who seen it remarked about the new Trans Am look! :roll:
You guys got to watch TV in basic :shock: . I knew I shoulda' went Airforce :D

I recall watching half of it at my grandparents house. My mother worked late that night and came and got me about half way through to go home. Didn't end up seeing it all the way through till it hit syndication in the late 80s/early 90s. I remember I was afraid of what Michael would look like when they took off the bandages after his facial reconstruction, I thought he'd look like some kind of monster (after all he did take a shot to and through the face).

I don't rememeber much of the rest of the first season. I got hooked about season 2 on or whenever it made the switch to Sundays.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:34 am

I was watching it on ITV in London.

We had to wait a few months longer, for obvious reasons, the show premiered here in February 1983. I was five years old and my folks had stumbled across an ad for it and they thought that I might enjoy it. Boy, did I! We tuned in religiously and never missed a show after that, and I still have my original tapes...

I remember being blown away by the stunts, but it was always the camaraderie between Michael and K.I.T.T. that really "sold" the show to me.

Those were the days....

- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchive.com

oppenca2
Operative

Post by oppenca2 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:02 pm

I was 10, my family also watched "weekly shows". I really loved it- then, till now! Im so glad DVDs are coming out because I never saved any VHS tapes of it. I did however audio record it! I was probably in my living room of northern NY as a kid watching it.
-Carmen

Davenport
Volunteer

Post by Davenport » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:25 am

I was at a neighborhood cookout. I begged my Dad to go home so I could watch the Knight Rider movie. He wasn't ready to go and told me to just be quiet and behave. But I couldn't be silenced. I was a brat and continued to beg. I may have even thrown a fit. Afterall, I was only 8. I don't remember the details, but I guess he made some sort of compromise, because I ended up in the guest bedroom of the host's house (we lived in the country, so it wasn't like I could walk home) watching a small B&W TV with rabbit ear antennas. I remember being mesmerized by staring at the fuzzy monochrome images on that TV.

TashaKnight
Rookie

Post by TashaKnight » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:14 pm

I was in the livingroom, watching it with my parents. I fell in love with KITT right away. Then Michael. I remember thinking I wanted to be just like him when I grew up. True to form I began a career in Law Enforcement. Now I write my fantisies in short story form... I love that show!!!!!!!!!!!

chrisebourg
Operative

Post by chrisebourg » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:23 pm

oppenca2 wrote:I was 10, my family also watched "weekly shows". I really loved it- then, till now! Im so glad DVDs are coming out because I never saved any VHS tapes of it. I did however audio record it! I was probably in my living room of northern NY as a kid watching it.
-Carmen
"Weekly show" - I remember those - a whole bunch of them. Now weekly shows are ruruns... I always remember watching TGIF on ABC - and on Saturday night - all the great episoes back in the good ol' 80's.... Nothing like it anymore though :cry:

TashaKnight
Rookie

Post by TashaKnight » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:25 pm

I am hoping that for Christmas that I get the first season on DVD.

chrisebourg
Operative

Post by chrisebourg » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:53 pm

TashaKnight wrote:I am hoping that for Christmas that I get the first season on DVD.
If I was a multi-millionnaire, my gift to all would be the KR Season 1 DVD set to all who do not yet hae it!

TashaKnight
Rookie

Post by TashaKnight » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:55 pm

Awwwww. Thank you so much for the thought.

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:44 pm

I was not on earth.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:53 pm

Uh, I didn't quite catch onto "Knight Rider" when the episode "Knight of the Phoenix first aired; at first I didn't want to see it, but my brother, who was into computers, got me to watch "Knight Rider" with him...eventually, and from then on, I was a fan of the show.
I was 12 and/or or 13 when that happened.....
I watched the 2nd and 3rd airings of that episode though.

Froggy
Stranger

Post by Froggy » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:22 am

I wasn't born yet. :D

Crovax Ws-6
Rookie

Post by Crovax Ws-6 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:45 am

*Cough* Wasnt born yet *Cough*

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:57 am

I was in first year high school back in 1982. ET was still showing in theatres (Drew Barrymore was just a baby girl back then). I remember how fascinated I was when I watched the KOTP, first time ever I saw a digital dash and a talking car. From a technical point of view, KR really was ahead of its time and thus was successful in delivering to the audience a "shock" factor. Nowadays that kind of factor just doesn't come like it used to anymore.