1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

paul e l
Recruit

Post by paul e l » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:16 am

does anyone know if either KITT will be available in retail stores...such as Wal-Mart?

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:58 pm

The chances of the Aoshima KITT or KARR landing retail stores are pretty slim. Aoshimas are usually ordered direct from Japan or from online services in the internet.

The ERTL version on the other hand has a better chance of making it to retail stores. Be quick to purchase one though, if it is a limited run, then stocks may be depleted in a short time.

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:16 pm

I didn't read everything in this thread, and I don't know if this was mentioned or not......

Found a web site for pre-orders for Knight Rider K.I.T.T. die cast model car.

[img]http://store1.yimg.com/I/showcasetoys_1811_1468175

http://www.showcasetoys.com/knrikie1dioc.html

I never did figure out how to properly post pictures... ah well.

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:18 pm

Stargazer wrote:I didn't read everything in this thread, and I don't know if this was mentioned or not......

Found a web site for pre-orders for Knight Rider K.I.T.T. die cast model car.

[img]http://store1.yimg.com/I/showcasetoys_1811_1468175

http://www.showcasetoys.com/knrikie1dioc.html

I never did figure out how to properly post pictures... ah well.
Oh, and I noticed a few hard to find toys there like, "Knight Rider" K.A.R.R. (Skynet Die-cast)

Hope this is helpful to someone.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:47 pm

EdelbrockTerror from the forum at hollywood-diecast.com found this pic of the already painted 1:18 KARR.... Looks like the orange fog lights are not on KARR!!!! :D

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:54 pm

Looks good. Unfortunately still that blasted white lettering on the tires, no turn signal blackout indents, 3 fog lights on each side when there should be only 2, and it doesn't appear to have the silver paint going over the wheel wells. But I'm still definately buying it.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:58 pm

Lost Knight wrote:Looks good. Unfortunately still that blasted white lettering on the tires, no turn signal blackout indents, 3 fog lights on each side when there should be only 2, and it doesn't appear to have the silver paint going over the wheel wells. But I'm still definately buying it.
I've seen the episode KITT vs KARR a couple of times and if I'm not mistaken, KARR had 3 foglights on each side in that episode....

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:22 am

imranbecks wrote:EdelbrockTerror from the forum at hollywood-diecast.com found this pic of the already painted 1:18 KARR.... Looks like the orange fog lights are not on KARR!!!! :D

Damn, KARR looks good...even with the white tire letterings (which I would probably paint black too). This would be the first time we would get a chance to see a factory made KARR scanner (yellow), I hope they get the color right. It's also a mystery if they will include a California KARR plate. Man, I can feel the tension rise...

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:42 am

for all of you complaining about the painted on white lettering on the KITT and KARR model tires instead of painting over them why not remove them with some Testors thinner (not as potent and damaging to the rubber tires than standard paint thinner). Or you could remove the wheels (most ertl diecast wheels snap onto the axels and front steering spindles) take off the tires and turn them arround so the lettering faces inwards. I prefer the removing them altogether. :wink:
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:01 am

Nw I'm MORE pee'd about the amber lenses!!! They got it right on KARR, but not on KITT?!?!

Hey Ertl... THEY'RE THE SAME F***ING CAR!!! ONLY DIFFERENCES ARE THE SCANNER COLOUR & SILVER PAINT!!! GET IT RIGHT, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! 6 - CLEAR - LIGHTS!!!
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:59 am

PBH wrote:Nw I'm MORE pee'd about the amber lenses!!! They got it right on KARR, but not on KITT?!?!

Hey Ertl... THEY'RE THE SAME F***ING CAR!!! ONLY DIFFERENCES ARE THE SCANNER COLOUR & SILVER PAINT!!! GET IT RIGHT, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! 6 - CLEAR - LIGHTS!!!
Well let's look at the bright side. At least only two foglamps are colored wrong, what if ERTL made all six lights orange? :roll:

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:24 am

HondaSiR wrote:
PBH wrote:Nw I'm MORE pee'd about the amber lenses!!! They got it right on KARR, but not on KITT?!?!

Well let's look at the bright side. At least only two foglamps are colored wrong, what if ERTL made all six lights orange? :roll:
True, but I'll still be passing by a hobby shop & replacing the orange lenses. The orange slaps me in the face everytime I see it!!! Of all the model problems, the orange is the most apparent & obvious. Even my girlfriend (who has barely watched the show) asked what was up with the orange. What is wrong with Ertl?!?
Phil

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:44 pm

imranbecks- "I've seen the episode KITT vs KARR a couple of times and if I'm not mistaken, KARR had 3 foglights on each side in that episode...."

I have the episode on tape, and I just checked it again to be 100% sure, and K.A.R.R. only has 2 fog lights on each side. With the more rounded off seasons 1-3 nose, the fog light openings are a bit more narrow and tougher to see how many lights are actually in them from a lot of angles.

However, in the scene where KARR follows John out of the hospital and tries to persuade him to go on an errand (before his silver paint job), his fog lights are on and you can clearly see 2 lit on each side. Another good shot is when KARR is parked in the garage after the paint job and John shows him off to Eddy; you can see he has 2 fog lights there as well.

I think where the confusion comes from about the number of fog lights he has is that due to only having 2 fog lights, that leaves leftover space on the side (KARR's fog lights seem to be pushed over more towards the center of the nose on each side leaving space for a 3rd light), so looking at the nose dead-on, the back panel behind the lights is visible and actually camoflages with the silver paint and can almost look like there's another light there.

Now technically, KARR should have 3 fog lights on each side AND have bumper grills since he was built before K.I.T.T. and came from season 1, but that is just another continuity error in the transition from "Trust Doesn't Rust" to "K.I.T.T. vs. K.A.R.R."

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:57 pm

Dave Knight wrote:for all of you complaining about the painted on white lettering on the KITT and KARR model tires instead of painting over them why not remove them with some Testors thinner (not as potent and damaging to the rubber tires than standard paint thinner). Or you could remove the wheels (most ertl diecast wheels snap onto the axels and front steering spindles) take off the tires and turn them arround so the lettering faces inwards. I prefer the removing them altogether. :wink:
Whooops, I didn't notice your message earlier. Anyway, good advice. I'll just try to remove the tires from the rims as carefully as I can. I really don't want to remove the entire wheel from the chassis, it may loosen the connections (resulting in whobbly wheels when you roll the car).

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:17 am

Lost Knight wrote:imranbecks- "I've seen the episode KITT vs KARR a couple of times and if I'm not mistaken, KARR had 3 foglights on each side in that episode...."

I have the episode on tape, and I just checked it again to be 100% sure, and K.A.R.R. only has 2 fog lights on each side. With the more rounded off seasons 1-3 nose, the fog light openings are a bit more narrow and tougher to see how many lights are actually in them from a lot of angles.

However, in the scene where KARR follows John out of the hospital and tries to persuade him to go on an errand (before his silver paint job), his fog lights are on and you can clearly see 2 lit on each side. Another good shot is when KARR is parked in the garage after the paint job and John shows him off to Eddy; you can see he has 2 fog lights there as well.

I think where the confusion comes from about the number of fog lights he has is that due to only having 2 fog lights, that leaves leftover space on the side (KARR's fog lights seem to be pushed over more towards the center of the nose on each side leaving space for a 3rd light), so looking at the nose dead-on, the back panel behind the lights is visible and actually camoflages with the silver paint and can almost look like there's another light there.

Now technically, KARR should have 3 fog lights on each side AND have bumper grills since he was built before K.I.T.T. and came from season 1, but that is just another continuity error in the transition from "Trust Doesn't Rust" to "K.I.T.T. vs. K.A.R.R."
Hmm... and also, the 1:43 KARR that I have, has 3 foglights on each side...

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:51 am

Yes but it also doesn't have the silver trim around the wheel wells and it has the 3rd/4th season dashboard....but even still it's a cool model which I plan to buy with K.I.T.T. eventually.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:00 am

about the KITT and it's orange fog light, that was a pic of a FINISHED!! painted karr model....maybe kitt hasn't been finished yet...we haven't exactly been shown a finalised version of kitt either so stop worrying.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:28 am

More pics of 1:18 KITT and KARR found... Cld be the finished version...hmm.. I think this is of Aoshima's.. Shd be of the same as ERTL's right? No more orange lights.. :D I did not know that the model wld feature an opening trunk as well.... But why didn't they open up the hood to show the engine... Nonetheless, the model is looking good... There is also a glimpse of the rear of both KITT and KARR in the pics... It has the tail lights blackout panel and the blue California plates..... No more worries there guys!!

I really can't wait for this model!!!! Why did they have to delay it till November.... :evil:

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:51 am

very nice...but does it look like KITTs fog lamps are just stickers? still dont like the thick frame around the trunk window

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:53 am

themarvelous3 wrote:very nice...but does it look like KITTs fog lamps are just stickers? still dont like the thick frame around the trunk window
LOL.. I don't think they are stickers man... Look at it properly..

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:53 am

Yep, as I said in the other thread, looks like Aoshima/ERTL has cleaned up their acts. This has got to be the best toy KITT/KARR rendition there is in any scale! I can't wait to get my hands on either one. :D

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:04 pm

can't wait to pick one of those up!!! looks really great!!!

there aint no way those are going for under £30, even if they are made by ertl.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Ertl is cheaper than that

Post by corlando52 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:09 pm

You can pre-order the Ertl for $29.95 USD from lots of places on the Internet, including Showcasetoys.com and Toynk.com, which is where I ordered mine.

Chris

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:01 am

NO ORANGE?!? YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Phil

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:10 am

PBH wrote:NO ORANGE?!? YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yup! No orange foglamps in sight...they probably had a lot of complaints (from us?) regarding those inaccuracies. Now all that remains to touch up are those infernal white tire letterings.