Who here has replicas

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Girl
Operative

Who here has replicas

Post by Knight Girl » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:22 pm

How many people here have Kitt replicas and who here are still looking for the right car to make into replicas or just dreaming like me. LOL
I went to a website that makes all the custom exterior and interior for Kitt. All I can say is wow!! Kitt is a very expensive replica to make.

Becky

Becky

OKC KNIGHT
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by OKC KNIGHT » Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:19 am

Hi Becky

Well i had a partial kitt replica last year,but i had to sell it :cry:

Now I have this the "perfect" donor car. 8) :D

As for the other members i think their just "knights in training" waiting to get there foundation drivers license. :lol: :lol:
Specializing in 1982-1992 Firebird/Trans Am Parts since 2002 and the ONLY seller of High Quality KITT Taillight blackouts

My contact Dmcman108@yahoo.com

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:39 am

Hey

Well my conversion has started, i have the wheels on mine now, i also have the Knight Rider front nose cone and scanner here at home to fit, which i hope to get on in the next few weeks! The pictures i have are not great, but gives yo uan idea

Nick

Knight Girl
Operative

Kitt Relicas

Post by Knight Girl » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:16 am

wow,nice looking cars. I found a 92 Firebird but it doesn't have t-tops. I think I might just wait until I find the right donar car.

Becky

Tony
Rookie

Post by Tony » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:06 am

Hey Becky
I have a fully done out KITT replica..
Email me and I will be more than glad to send
you some pics...

knight_rider_1@hotmail.com

Tony

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:17 pm

OKC KNIGHT wrote:Hi Becky

Well i had a partial kitt replica last year,but i had to sell it :cry:

Now I have this the "perfect" donor car. 8) :D

As for the other members i think their just "knights in training" waiting to get there foundation drivers license. :lol: :lol:

Im going to steal your car! :twisted: Then you wouldn't have anything to brag about!
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Knight Girl
Operative

Kitt Replica

Post by Knight Girl » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:30 pm

I'm having the trouble of finding the right donor car. I will find a nice black one but with no t-tops and grey interior and wrong year or i will find the right year but beat up. The only transams I have seen with t-tops and tan interior are 2000 models and up.

Becky

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:06 pm

Click on the www link at the bottom of my post for my site about my car. I'm not building a replica, I'm making a Knighted Ride out of a Pontiac 6000. :) As far as I know, there is one other that is Knighting a Pontiac 6000 (his is into a KARR), but I haven't heard from him in awhile as he's in Florida and the hurricanes are whippin' them right now. :(

Knighted Ride = Knight Rider inspired but not a replica. :) I did a SLEW of work on the car this year and had my mechanic and a welder do even more. But Kitt's doing well. :) I got his passenger side tail light and front grille from eBay so I need to get out there and replace those...whenever I find time, that is. :?

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Re: Kitt Replica

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:08 pm

Knight Girl wrote:I'm having the trouble of finding the right donor car. I will find a nice black one but with no t-tops and grey interior and wrong year or i will find the right year but beat up. The only transams I have seen with t-tops and tan interior are 2000 models and up.
When it comes to finding the right donor car for you, PATIENCE really is a VIRTUE. Do not rush things. Eventually one will pop up and you will be right there to snap it up. You may also want to look up Ebay once in a while, who knows? You may probably purchase one there. :wink:

Knight Girl
Operative

Kitt Replica

Post by Knight Girl » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:02 am

Very Nice Fuzzy Dice 8) Very creative!!!!!

There is one on e-bay right now for a decent price,the electronics isn't in it yet but the dash is and it is a hard top but comes with t-tops if you want to install it. I still have to redo the interior of Herbie.All these ideas and no time and money :cry:

Becky

Knight Girl
Operative

Kitt replica

Post by Knight Girl » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:04 am

Oh by the way those two donar cars are sweet!!!

I have an insurance question. Is there a place that insures Kitt as a show car so you pay a yearly premium. I have classic insurance for herbie snd only pay $90 a year

Becky

knightman
Operative

Post by knightman » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:11 am

g'day , u guys reckon its hard to find a good car, try living downunder australia, tran's ams are extreemilly rare, i have been
close twice to buying one, one was a perfet black n gold 83
they wanted $ 18000australian the other was a manual 86 ta this one was in beautiful conditio, wayyy to nice for a conversion
it was a custom deep blue with silver (like karr) paint, $25000 they wanted....

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:28 am

Knight Girl wrote:There is one on e-bay right now for a decent price,the electronics isn't in it yet but the dash is and it is a hard top but comes with t-tops if you want to install it.
I'd pass on that one if I were you, what good are the t-tops if you don't have a place to put them? The car is nice but you'd have to pay a large sum in order chop up the roof and install the tops. Besides, nothing beats an authentic t-top Firebird (100% accurate in finish).

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:49 pm

I have a question about these T-tops... I know on some replica sites they have the "turn key" option, where you can have the interior redone in the correct color, get replica PMD seats, and have T-Tops installed if the car is a hard top. My question is, wouldn't an owner be better off having their T-top made by one of these companies brand new for things like minimizing leakage as opposed to having an original '82-'92 T-top that would be more likely to leak?
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:54 pm

Lost Knight wrote:My question is, wouldn't an owner be better off having their T-top made by one of these companies brand new for things like minimizing leakage as opposed to having an original '82-'92 T-top that would be more likely to leak?
I'd rather have the original t-tops rather than a converted hardtop because a car's structural rigidity will be altered if the roof was somewhat chopped up. Most conversion companies know this and they install reinforcement brackets in the body to ensure the safety of the passengers (specially during rollover accidents). However, not all of them abide by this, and so the car may not be safe to drive if the body is not rigid as a result of the conversion.

As for the original t-top's leaking problems, there are companies who offer replacement rubber seals. Most of the cars are very old anyway and you would have to replace the seals because they tend to crack over time.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:43 am

Knight Girl wrote:Very Nice Fuzzy Dice 8) Very creative!!!!!
Thanks. :) I know what you mean about time and money. If anything, cars and computers both take up a LOT of money. ;)

kitt-x
Rookie

Post by kitt-x » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:44 am

I have one too.
I just changed insurance carriers and now have mine under Hagerty for about $58 month.

:kittx:

Skyknight
Recruit

Post by Skyknight » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:18 am

Hey Guys and Gals, here's my "in-progress" KITT. It was originally an '84 Recaro Trans Am. It was the best donor car I could find after six years of looking.

Now here's pics of my new interior with the Knight Rider style PMD seats. I had a custom leather job done to them which in my opinion looks better than the factory pattern......

Also I'm avery good friend of Tony's and I've seen and driven his complete conversion! It's a fourth season replica. Very Nice! :wink:

Anyways, hope y'all enjoy the pics! 8)

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:20 am

how come in the out side pics you do not have PMD seats??

Overwise the car itself is great!

Nick

Skyknight
Recruit

Post by Skyknight » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:44 am

K.I.T.T wrote:how come in the out side pics you do not have PMD seats??

Overwise the car itself is great!

Nick
The answer to your question is simple. When I took the pics of the exterior of the car, my PMD seats were in the process of being recovered at that time. So, I had the original Recaro seats in there at the time. The interior pics were taken at a later date than the exterior pics. :wink:

Anyways dude, It's the real deal. I know we are all too used to people posting false pics, but I'm not one of those! 8)

When I can, I'll post pics of the car from the outside that show the PMD's installed. I haven't taken my car out in over a month now so I don't have any updated pics on hand. However if you'd like I'll snap some today if I get a chance...... 8)

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:45 pm

I totally understand my friend and i know of those people you speak of! lol

May i ask how much you paid for you PMD? Thats major park i need, though i want normal pmd not leather.

Do you plan on moving your side repeaters???

Nick

Skyknight
Recruit

Post by Skyknight » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:02 pm

K.I.T.T wrote:I totally understand my friend and i know of those people you speak of! lol

May i ask how much you paid for you PMD? Thats major park i need, though i want normal pmd not leather.

Nick
Yo Nick,

My PMD's weren't cheap.... :( They cost me over $600.00CAD about a year ago. But, they were the right color and in excellent shape. But there were small tiny flaws in them despite them being in great shape for thier age. When I attempted to get them cleaned and repaired, I wasn't happy with the end result. So another $700.00CAD later............... :? But, now they are beautiful. But looking back, if I had to do it all over again, I would have just bought a junk set for like $100.00USD and recover them.......That's just one of the things that have set me back as far as going over budget on my car. :( I suppose it's a learning experience though..... :roll:

And yes Becky, Knight Conversions are a very expensive hobby to say the least! :lol:

Nilton

BoMcD
Operative

Post by BoMcD » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:15 pm

Here is a shot of mine...

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:11 pm

Skyknight wrote:
K.I.T.T wrote:I totally understand my friend and i know of those people you speak of! lol

Nick
Yo Nick,

My PMD's weren't cheap.... :( They cost me over $600.00CAD about a year ago. But, they were the right color and in excellent shape. But there were small tiny flaws in them despite them being in great shape for thier age. When I attempted to get them cleaned and repaired, I wasn't happy with the end result. So another $700.00CAD later............... :? But, now they are beautiful. But looking back, if I had to do it all over again, I would have just bought a junk set for like $100.00USD and recover them.......That's just one of the things that have set me back as far as going over budget on my car. :( I suppose it's a learning experience though..... :roll:

And yes Becky, Knight Conversions are a very expensive hobby to say the least! :lol:

Nilton
Wow dude thats some money you spent!!! Though i love the final result, just cant part with that sort of money myself. Think i will just work on my outside first lol. I have my knight nose cone, and scanner.... which im really happy with, just finding the time to fit it on!

Nick

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:47 pm

You guys have some good looking replicas. Skyknight- what company did you buy your front nose from? It looks like the more rounded nose seen in seasons 1-3, which I would be interested in eventually getting if I decided to make a K.A.R.R. replica. The ones I've seen on the net so far have the sharper looking 4th nose style, even the ones available with the turn signal blackouts. My eventual plans one day is to have BOTH K.I.T.T. and K.A.R.R. replicas, KITT being the 4th season version with the split back seats, and KARR having the 1st/2nd season electronics, dash, and rear seats without the split.

Also there is one other detail in these replicas that I haven't seen anyone acknowledge so far: the "hole" or circular indent in the middle of the steering wheel, seen on KITT in seasons 1 & 2, and seen on KARR. Does anyone know what company sells the gullwing wheel with that feature?
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4: