old toys

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:51 am

Very interesting info, HondaSiR. Oh, and since people are including the DVD set with their KR merchandise, I have it as well.

I also have an old VHS tape from 1986 with the original NBC broadcasts of the episodes "Killer K.I.T.T.," "Out Of the Woods," "Deadly Knightshade," "Redemption Of a Champion," "Knight Of a Thousand Devils," and "Hills Of Fire" complete with all the original commercials. It's actually kind of fun to watch the old commercials from 1986 and see how much cheesier they were compared to modern commercials, though of course there's still plenty of cheesy modern ones too. :lol:
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:17 pm

HondaSiR wrote:
TurbomanKnight wrote:The model kits from the 80's, are they bigger than the reissues that we have now?
The original MPC kit is the same scale as the reissued AMT kit (1:25 scale). BUT...there are big differences. Only the 2 original MPC box sets with the "Win a Corvette" logo and the "Golden Opportunity kit" logos are authentic. The MPC box set with the "Features Authentic Details" logos DOES NOT have the vents behind the front fenders anymore. The tail light assembly for the earlier MPCs are true to the show, the reissue's tail lights are from a 1985 and up Firebird (Ughhh!!!). And the interior of the car is not as detailed as the earlier MPCs. Same goes for the reissued AMT kit, the body does not have the vents anymore, making the original MPCs more accurate to the series, and hence more valuable. Take note that ONLY the MPC boxes that have the Corvette and "Golden Opportunity Kit" are accurate. The second MPC release with the "Features Authentic Details" does not anymore conform to the original design.

Another thing worth mentioning is...all MPC kits have clear tinted plastic parts for the windshields and t-tops. The AMT reissue has the windshields and t-tops clear with no tint whatsoever.
I have a reissue model which I fully completed today :D I dont like the clear glass that the model came with. Thwe picture on the box shows tinted windows. Damn The "Knight" plate. Its so hard to paint the plate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 04713&rd=1 Does this look authentic? I would buy it but it has the instruction sheet missing. Theres another one on ebay that i plan to purchase.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:47 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:Does this look authentic? I would buy it but it has the instruction sheet missing. Theres another one on ebay that i plan to purchase.
The box is the original MPC release, but since it is not factory sealed, almost anything can be inside it, beware! What I find strange is, how could the seller know which pieces are missing if he doesn't have the instruction sheet. If I were you, I'd move on to the next auction. If you do decide to bid on it, request the seller to give you additional pics of the model pieces BEFORE bidding. Ask him about the vents on the fenders (if they exist). And also the tail lamp and the windshields/t-tops.

Another thing that may help you...since you already have the AMT kit, the instruction sheet for both AMT and MPC are almost the same. You won't have problems assembling the MPC.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:38 pm

HondaSiR wrote:
TurbomanKnight wrote:Does this look authentic? I would buy it but it has the instruction sheet missing. Theres another one on ebay that i plan to purchase.
The box is the original MPC release, but since it is not factory sealed, almost anything can be inside it, beware! What I find strange is, how could the seller know which pieces are missing if he doesn't have the instruction sheet. If I were you, I'd move on to the next auction. If you do decide to bid on it, request the seller to give you additional pics of the model pieces BEFORE bidding. Ask him about the vents on the fenders (if they exist). And also the tail lamp and the windshields/t-tops.

Another thing that may help you...since you already have the AMT kit, the instruction sheet for both AMT and MPC are almost the same. You won't have problems assembling the MPC.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I just placed a bid. Im buying it to make a KARR Replica or probably another KITT. I want the body to have the extractors on the fenders and the emblems removed.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:13 am

Good Luck with the auction then. I hope the kit includes everything you need, specially the correct body type (with the vents).

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:53 am

Oh boy where to begin. I've amassed quite a lot of old KR toys in the past nine years after destroying most of it in my childhood. Anyway heres a list of ONLY the old KR toys, mostly in mint condition...shesh I've got a KR bedsheets :lol:

ERTL: 1/64, the mid and large scale die cast cars.
ERTL: transforming KITT
ERTL/AMT: original releases of KITT and KIFT (both built poorly by me when I was 16.
Hasbro: super and standard stunt sets
LJN: Knight Rider impossible set and an individually carded rough rider KITT
Japanese Micheal Knight figure.
Kenner: Talking KITT with figure. Signed by Hasselhoff for Graham Norton show
Scalextric: turbo boost and pursuit mode sets
Matshushiro: 2 releases of the original KR RC car. Also got 2 SPM RC KITTs.
KITT AM radio
Auto El fantastico (argentinian KITT with flashing light)
KR cutoff challenge racing set
Also have a KR RC car I got from Portugal which is officially endorsed but is just a corvette with KR stickers.

...thats it I think? I haven't included any of the other memrobilia like cards, books or viewfinders...or the new stuff.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Model KITT differences

Post by corlando52 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:13 pm

Funny you should mention the windshield tints. I have a couple of the original Golden oportunities KITTs from the 80s and hated the tinted windshields. I swapped with someone in England for his clear windshield. I am in the middle of making a replica with working scanner. fog lights and am also using a digital recorder so it will say "I am the Knight Industries Two-Thousand..." I also built KITT's voice box which will be part of the display case.
If you want to see a picture of my voicebox, go here:
http://home.att.net/~corlando52/myvbx6a.jpg

OR, if you see it working, you can see the AVI (at about 500M) at:

http://home.att.net/~corlando52/vbxtalking1.avi

Chris

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:36 pm

I'm surprised some of you guys liked the tinted windows better than the clear windows if you want accuracy, being that K.I.T.T.'s windows were always clear. Except of course on a few occasions where he tints them at will. Personally if I saw that the model looked better with tinted windows than with the clear ones, I'd still want the clear ones anyway because they are more true to the show, plus you'd be able to see the dashboard better. Sounds like you'd have to buy the original and the reissue and swap the windows to make that happen though.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:13 pm

Good NEws! I talked my parents ino getting me the original "Kitt" Kit from the 80's. :dance:
Theres a nice conditioned Talking KITT for you. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 58700&rd=1
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:11 pm

Lost Knight wrote:I'm surprised some of you guys liked the tinted windows better than the clear windows if you want accuracy, being that K.I.T.T.'s windows were always clear. Except of course on a few occasions where he tints them at will. Personally if I saw that the model looked better with tinted windows than with the clear ones, I'd still want the clear ones anyway because they are more true to the show, plus you'd be able to see the dashboard better. Sounds like you'd have to buy the original and the reissue and swap the windows to make that happen though.
I haven't built my MPC KITT yet, and I am contemplating on either using the tinted windshields or a later reissued AMT windshield. Thankfully they are interchangeable (and AMT kits are fairly common). It has crossed my mind on what to use...but I'll probably use the AMT because it does match the actual car better. I'll save the tinted glass for a later project, probably a KARR model.

TurbomanKnight: Good for you!! I know how it feels to actually have the chance on acquiring one, I know you are very excited. Fill us in on the details when you have it in your hands, ok? :)

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:01 am

HondaSiR wrote:
Lost Knight wrote:I'm surprised some of you guys liked the tinted windows better than the clear windows if you want accuracy, being that K.I.T.T.'s windows were always clear. Except of course on a few occasions where he tints them at will. Personally if I saw that the model looked better with tinted windows than with the clear ones, I'd still want the clear ones anyway because they are more true to the show, plus you'd be able to see the dashboard better. Sounds like you'd have to buy the original and the reissue and swap the windows to make that happen though.
I haven't built my MPC KITT yet, and I am contemplating on either using the tinted windshields or a later reissued AMT windshield. Thankfully they are interchangeable (and AMT kits are fairly common). It has crossed my mind on what to use...but I'll probably use the AMT because it does match the actual car better. I'll save the tinted glass for a later project, probably a KARR model.

TurbomanKnight: Good for you!! I know how it feels to actually have the chance on acquiring one, I know you are very excited. Fill us in on the details when you have it in your hands, ok? :)
Im sure as hell excited! :dance: Trust me, You guys would be the first to know about it. :D
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:05 pm

Some bastard outbided me at last minute! DEATH T0 HIM! :vamp: :twisted:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Knight Girl
Operative

Kitt Toys

Post by Knight Girl » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:22 pm

Hi everyone. I'm new to the board. I used to have the talking Kitt and Michael,probably in my parents attic. I also have the board game,card game, matchbox 1/64 kitt, the japan hotwheel, 2 Knight Rider watches,stickers and license plate. Now I need a Kitt. LOL

Knight Girl, Becky

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:59 pm

Welcome to the board, Becky! Were those Knight Rider watches just watches that had Knight Rider pictures on them or were they toy replica comlinks?

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:33 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:Some bastard outbided me at last minute! DEATH T0 HIM! :vamp: :twisted:
Yep, snipers are always there to spoil your bid, specially if the item is very sought after. I'd suggest you become a sniper too, if you have the patience (and the money). I am one myself, having sniped most of the items that I have won in the past :P

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:17 pm

That's the way to do it. That's how I won my Knight 2000 Voice Car and Knight Rider Bloopers & Special Effects DVD.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:38 pm

I think I might become a sniper! :twisted:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Knight Girl
Operative

old toys

Post by Knight Girl » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:30 am

nah, it's just a pic of Kitt on it. One is more like a toy watch for a 3 year old and doesn't work and one is by Amitron. That watch got me in trouble during class alot because the alarm kept going off. LOL

Becky

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:16 am

TurbomanKnight wrote:I think I might become a sniper! :twisted:
Try beating my record at sniping my friend...I managed to sneak in my winning bid with only THREE SECONDS TO SPARE before auction's end! :dance:

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:57 am

You must be on High Speed. Unfortunely Im on Dial Up. :(
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

pewter 02ws6
Operative

Post by pewter 02ws6 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:09 pm

my record is 3 seconds too and on dial up :twisted:
it's all in the timing :wink:

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:32 pm

I'm running on dial-up too! It's really based on timing as mentioned...and it helps having to a stopwatch at your side to calculate the exact time of auction's end. Good Luck in beating our records (and in winning your auction) :D