Pilot Semi Paint Job / KI Logo

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightshade
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Pilot Semi Paint Job / KI Logo

Post by knightshade » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:37 pm

I don't think I've seen this brought up before, but in building up my new DVD screenshot library (yayyyyy!), I've discovered something interesting.

There was apparently an earlier version of the semi with a different Knight Industries logo.

I have to say I like the logo they eventually went with better. Ditto the paint job. But it's interesting to me that they had a painted semi prop for the pilot, but they went with the plain white one for most of season 1. I wonder why they scrapped it?

Oh and can I just say, poor Kitt. The indignity of being towed!

Knight224
Operative

Post by Knight224 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:52 pm

Interesting find! I must agree, I like the later version much better with the chess peice/horse thing instead of the knight. And poor KITT!
Knight Rider 2day 2morrow 4ever

Leaving the forum May 3, 2006. (Losing internet connection.) Thanks for all the wonderful memories!!! -- Dropped in Feb 18, 2008 to say 'hi'.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:10 am

The Knight Industries symbol in KR2000's pretty strange too. It's like they put the KI chess piece in a Ying Yang. Craziness, nice find though!
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:13 am

You bring up a good point, knightshade. With this painted prop semi, why would they have gone to a generic white semi for most of season one? Seems like quite a waste of time & money.
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:09 am

I personally don't believe it is THE semi we all know but an extra KI truck that is used to transport different things.

Perhaps it was used to transport the goods that was in the Knight museum in the pilot that was moved to the FLAG HQ in the following eps.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:24 am

Skav wrote:I personally don't believe it is THE semi we all know but an extra KI truck that is used to transport different things.

Perhaps it was used to transport the goods that was in the Knight museum in the pilot that was moved to the FLAG HQ in the following eps.

Skav
This may be true to the assumption that you present. However, looking at it from a producers standpoint, why would I spend so much time & money painting this semi simply for a 10-second scene & then buy another white semi & use that as the 2nd main vehicle for the show. Makes no sense to me.
Phil

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:26 pm

Is it possible that this isn't even a real truck? Just a facade they put together for this brief scene?

(and I know who shot JFK :) )
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:51 pm

After watching the scene, if it is a fake, it's pretty damn good, even by todays standards.
Phil

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:29 pm

Well, maybe the semi we see in this scene was the original design and paint scheme that was to be used but then the producers decided that they wanted to switch the whole design and so they stripped the paint from the whole thing (hence the white semi we saw in following episodes) and then once the paint scheme that we all know and love was applied, we have the FLAG semi as it finally appeared.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:38 pm

Seems like too much thought being put in for a show that came out in the eighties.
Phil

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:05 pm

What is also interesting, check out the non existent dash when Devon and Michael exit the car, even though the car used for the interior close ups had the TVs

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:33 pm

Not only that Neil, but what are those dark red things sitting behind the rear seats?
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

kido
Operative

Post by kido » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:38 pm

A stunt car maybe?
Knight Industries Defence One

d_osborn
Operative

Post by d_osborn » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:44 am

i also noticed that pilot knight logo on the blue jacket michael wears while he's jogging... VERY cool jacket. :D

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:05 am

In the first season, KITT had two dash modes, "normal" and "super". In "normal" mode he looked much like any other T/A or at least his tech dash blacked out. In "super" mode is where you see the fancy stuff. For some odd reason, only the first season had went between "normal" and "superdash" modes. The later seasons only stood in "superdash" mode. A good example is the episode "Custom KITT" where KITT changes Dash modes and the kid in the car gets amazed. :)

The "red things" in the back in the picture could very well be KITT's trunk area.

IOW, looks like KITT is in "normal" mode in this scene, since he's being towed in and his hi-tech gagets aren't necessary. Maybe powered down to conserve energy or something.

82TransAm
Recruit

Post by 82TransAm » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:05 am

Maybe this was KARR's Semi before they put him in storage

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:56 am

Ah, my point was strictly to do with the actual KR universe...not reality terms.

But everyone does have interesting POV's.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;