Actual KITT on EBAY!!!

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

steveman
Stranger

Actual KITT on EBAY!!!

Post by steveman » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:28 pm

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:11 pm

I think Mark has images and info on step-by-step how he restored this car as well. I recently read about it at his site. He did a beautiful job reastoring it!

KI2000PA
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by KI2000PA » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:16 pm

There is a problem with the way Mark Scrivani restored that screen used KITT car, if indeed it is one of the screen used cars and was used on the date 9/3/85, then Mark Scrivani restored it wrong and the restoration needs to be done yet again, I say this because by 1985 the 1 TV dashboard had already been introduced and I also believe by this time SPM was introduced as well.. So whoever buys this car I pity them because they will be owning both a piece of Knight Rider history as indicated by the 1177 production number, as well as an INACCURATELY restored 4th season KITT which has been restored as a SECOND season KITT. I'm surprised that no one even caught this in the vehicle's description on Ebay, there are inferences that clearly verify THIS KITT as having once been a 4th season car. Just my two cents guys. :)

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:26 pm

Other than that... WOW!!!! That is at least very near accurate... Its very nice!!

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:20 pm

8)
All that I can say is that I have seen pictures of a restoration from Marks custom classics and he did a nice job. Haven't seen this new car though. maybe I will later.Just depends on the mood that I am in.
8)

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:48 pm

KI2000PA wrote: So whoever buys this car I pity them because they will be owning both a piece of Knight Rider history as indicated by the 1177 production number, as well as an INACCURATELY restored 4th season KITT which has been restored as a SECOND season KITT.
You're absolutley right! Who'd want to own a fourth season original car done up as a second season 'original'! I mean, you'd never want to even look at it, right? The poor bastard that buys that is going to ripped right off with a non-original 'original', even though it looks original. Maintaining the original original's originality should have been Mark's original concern, as soon as he was sure of it's origin. If you buy what you think is an original, discover it's originality has been destroyed by non-original modifications, after being originally certain of the original's originality from the originals origin...and then....ummm...gee that word starts to look funny after a while... :?

C'mon, who gives a rats? If you could afford it, wouldn't you want it? I mean, upon season 4, there were still season 2 cars in existence. Does it matter? It's not like it's got "Season 4 car" written on the rear of it!
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:43 pm

I would never pay 40,000 U.S. for a K.I.T.T. car - I would rather just make my car look like that itself. It may not be an original car from the T.V. series, but 40,000 is just way too mush for a simple man like me to pay. Besides they don't show big enough pictures of the car for me to really be imprtessed. But to eash his/her own.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:32 pm

This KITT auction will most likely attract museums or rich eccentric individuals who would rather display the car rather than actually drive it. Take into account that it is highly modified to perform stunts, hence the 2-gallon gas tank replacement. If the one buying it would like to drive it to work, he or she would have to modify it again for it to be roadworthy.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:08 pm

Looks like some other sites are picking up the Auction, specifically KITT:

http://www.boingboing.net/2004/07/22/kitt_for_sale.html

http://www.engadget.com/entry/2744397186452731/

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:55 pm

"William Daniels not included." :lol: (at bottom of first link ;) ) I think they will sell it easily enough, with all the publicity they're getting now. :)

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:38 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:"William Daniels not included." :lol: (at bottom of first link ;) ) I think they will sell it easily enough, with all the publicity they're getting now. :)
Very Funny - hah hah :wink:

finalfadeout
Recruit

Post by finalfadeout » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:22 am

You know that Knight Rider was cancelled mainly due to being expensive, not that it wasn't holding its own in the ratings. By this time they had long been cutting corners (especially with all the stock footage) so I'm sure they used season 2 KITTs in season 4 if they were available. This car was probably always a season 2 model, and I'm sure Mark restored it accordingly. It was probably used in exterior shots for that episode, which is why to the producers it probably didn't matter that it was a season 2 (at least they didn't think anyone would notice the difference from the outside).

Knight224
Operative

Post by Knight224 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:00 pm

I wondered why they took it off their website! Guess no one was crazy enough to pay $30,000 or whatever they were asking for it (I forget).
Knight Rider 2day 2morrow 4ever

Leaving the forum May 3, 2006. (Losing internet connection.) Thanks for all the wonderful memories!!! -- Dropped in Feb 18, 2008 to say 'hi'.

66batmobile
Volunteer

Question

Post by 66batmobile » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:36 pm

I'm a newbee when it comes to KITT, but I have always wanted a KITT replica and the real-one would be the topping on the cake.

So what is the history of this KITT on eBay? Was it for sale somewhere else for $30k? How much do you all think it is worth?

If I built a replica KITT how much (approx) would it run me (not including the T/A?? How about a turn-key replica...are there any available for sale?

Again, real curious.

Thanks in advance!

R.J.1984
Operative

Re: Question

Post by R.J.1984 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:23 am

66batmobile wrote:I'm a newbee when it comes to KITT, but I have always wanted a KITT replica and the real-one would be the topping on the cake.

So what is the history of this KITT on eBay? Was it for sale somewhere else for $30k? How much do you all think it is worth?

If I built a replica KITT how much (approx) would it run me (not including the T/A?? How about a turn-key replica...are there any available for sale?

Again, real curious.

Thanks in advance!
The one on ebay was restored from what I gather. Marks Custom Classics is the bussness reponsible for the finnished product. If I could afford to purchase an othentic K.I.T.T then it would be definitly worth it.
To get you own - first buy yourself a 1982 - 1986 Firebird. Then Once you have that then look into places that make parts for it. I suggest Marks Custom Classics for certain items in order to make it more real. If you do it yourself - the labour that is - you might be looking at from $15,000 and up depending on where you get it from and how much they are charging.
I don't think anyone who privatly owns a K.I.T.T replica would want to sell it. But you never know. Hope this information helps you.

ozzieknight
Volunteer

Post by ozzieknight » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:07 am

I hope David Hasselhoff buys it
if he wants an original KITT in the movie why wouldn't he buy it to use it in the movie

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:32 pm

This auction is starting to get some press... The New York Post has an article on it:

"July 26, 2004 -- The star of the 1980's TV series "Knight Rider" goes on
the eBay auction block this week.

No, not David Hasselhoff, the "young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless in a world of criminals who operate above the law."

What's up for bid is KITT, the supercar with an attitude that Hasselhoff drove on Sunday nights for four NBC seasons.

The sleek, black, souped-up 1983 Pontiac Trans Am - along with its stamped steel "Knight" license plate - goes on the Internet auction house Friday with an estimated value of $40,000 to $60,000.

The car is one of hundreds of showbiz parcels that KITT's Beverly Hills-based seller is offering on eBay, ranging from "Star Trek" and "Rocky"
scripts at the low end to big-buck items like Daryl Hannah's mermaid
tail from "Splash," Marlon Brando's dark-blue suit from "Guys and Dolls," and Marilyn Monroe's slinky dress from "How to Marry a Millionaire."

KITT, whose full name was Knight Industry Two Thousand, rivals the
Batmobile and James Bond's Aston Martin as the world's most famous used car.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:45 pm

Not too long ago my dad was telling me that today at work he was listening to the radio and they were talking about KITT on eBay. The station was 101.1 New York's Oldies Station.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:05 am

ABC 7 of LA's Eyewitness News had a report on KITT being on E-bay :D:D:D They played some clips from Knight Rider and Magnum P.I. because the Ferrari's on Ebay too... the cool thing is that the reporter actually got to drive the Ferrari and hang out with KITT :D It was cute, his voiceover said "KITT has been restored with a fully-functional dash and will talk to anyone who will listen!" and they had KITT say "Hello, I am KITT from the TV show Knight Rider", which really surprised me, do you think Mark got a hold of William Daniels to record that for the car or did KITT really say that at one point (maybe for promotional purposes?)? I don't know, but it was really cool just the same. My friend and I are gonna make the lowest bid just so we can say we bid on KITT 'cuz, 'cmon, how many people can say they've done that? :D

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:14 pm

Just got an Press Release in email with the final prices on the auction items:
“K.I.T.T.” the Highly modified 1983 Pontiac Trans Am used by David Hasselhoff in the 1982-1985 TV series Knight Rider (Universal).
SALE PRICE: $54,625
Nice, but Magnums Ferrari went for more:
1979 Ferrari 308 GTS used by Tom Selleck in the 1980-88 TV series Magnum, P.I. (CBS) listed by the Ferrari Club as the earliest known Magnum Ferrari.
SALE PRICE: $57,500

66batmobile
Volunteer

Interesting

Post by 66batmobile » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:50 pm

Actually it sold for $47,500 + $15% (buyers fee)...so they kinda made it sound like it did better than it actually did. I'm shocked only 2 people bid on it. A guy with zero feedback and me. I did it on a whim. Hmmm I wonder what happens if the high bidder doesn't pay :lol:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:15 pm

Uh, say goodbye to your ebay account and think of that as your last auction.

Normally, you'd get warnings but since that is a very hot item, I don't think they'd let up so easy on you.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:50 pm

Well 66batmobile isn't the winner, the 0 feedback guy was. I think he was wondering what happens if the 0 feedback guy flakes out. I hope it means it falls back to you 66batmobile, but they might just go after the other guy.

btw: nice batmobile site!

66batmobile
Volunteer

Well...

Post by 66batmobile » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:22 pm

If the winner flakes I would consider buying the car...all depends on how PO'd the wife would get. We'll see if he flakes, etc

Glad you liked my site!! :lol:

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:21 pm

If the winner flakes - what would you pay for that car? Not too likely that the winner is going to flake though - but you never know.