New Batmobile Borrows From KITT

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Sith
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

New Batmobile Borrows From KITT

Post by Sith » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:33 pm

The new Batmobile, which began life as a Wayne Industries military prototype called The Tumbler, is 2.5 tons, 15 feet long, and has a 350-cubic-inch Chevy engine capable of 500 horsepower. It is equipped with front-firing machine guns, a landing hook and, as you can see, 4 rear super swamper tires.

The Caped Crusader's vehicle is also taking a page from Knight Rider's KITT. Batman Begins producer Charles Roven told the NY Daily News that the car can turbo boost. "It has to get up to 220 mph to get airborne, but then it can jump 20, 30, maybe 40 feet," Roven said. To perform this gravity-defying act, the Batmobile utilizes its jet engine and vector controls.

More here: http://filmforce.ign.com/batman/article ... 521p1.html

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:40 pm

I'm glad Kitt's getting his props, but i swear, that car is ugly. (Swamper tires?)

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:00 am

That can do some serious off roading!
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:38 am

Or at least look like it! ;-)
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:49 am

That's the one think I never liked, was when they'd take a well-known car, alter it's appearance so it looks nothing at all like what people have come to know it to look like, and still call it the same thing. KIFT is another example. I mean, I never would expect the Batmobile to look quite like that. I can't say I care for the body style as a Batmobile. Though I would expect this to be instead something out of an old Mad Max movie (I loved Mad Max a lot too, btw).

Because of it's "turbo boost" they are claiming it to have (would that be real technology or will they do stunt/camera tricks for the effect?) and it's front-end appearence, I coudn't help but to think maybe a better name for the car would be "The Fly". :lol:

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:05 am

I myself don't like the new Batmobile at all. where did they come up with the idea to make it look so pathetic? I don't know if I will be watching the new movie - but you never know.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:09 pm

Going to be controversial, I love the new batmobile. Its alot more basic giving emphasis to the beginning of Batman's career. Also, it should be noted that the batmobile has been an ever evolving vehicle. The animated series itself had two designs and another one for the Batman beyond series. The movies and comics also show various design aspects to the batmobile. One of the last batmobiles from the comic books looks like an overgrown tank and looks very similar to this movies design. So for a bat-fan (sounds like I'm one) this particular design isn't alien and is understandable.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:42 pm

Got a feeling that the turbo boost scenes will be CGI because it must be expensive building that thing more than once.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:16 pm

I am quite anxious for the new Batman movie to come out. I hope it's awesome since Batman & Robin stunk!!

Christian Bale is playing Batman. He's a good choice. If anyone wants to see him, watch Equilibrium. Good movie.

Happy to see Kitt getting his credit where it's due....oh, hey jup get the comabt simulator out to pit the new Batmobile against KITT turbo boosting at each other :D

Nick

comets78
Rookie

Post by comets78 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:55 pm

wish they would have made a better design on for the batmobile it lookls like the car as gas or something but props to kitt vs the bat any day

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:22 am

I thought I remembered reading that this movie is based on Frank Miller's Year One story line, which is a retelling of Batman's first adventure. The Batmobile is styled after the one in the comic as well, where the Vehicle began as a Wayne Industries prototype.

Really good Christian Bale movie is American Psycho, very convincing performance.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:35 pm

W.I.T.T. : Wayne Industries Two Thousand? :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. :lol:

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:19 pm

neps wrote:I thought I remembered reading that this movie is based on Frank Miller's Year One story line, which is a retelling of Batman's first adventure. The Batmobile is styled after the one in the comic as well, where the Vehicle began as a Wayne Industries prototype.

Really good Christian Bale movie is American Psycho, very convincing performance.
..probably from yours truly! I've been keeping tabs on this film and eagerly awaiting a Batman film to erase the disasters of the last few films. If you are a Batman fan, I would recommend you pick up year one. I haven't got an extensive library of Batman comics (although its now upto about $200 worth of hard/paperbacks) so can't really comment on the vehicle being a Wayne Industries prototype, but it seems logical.

I just saw a young Bale (around 12-15) in a speilberg film (based in world war 2?) and his acting skills were amazing. Ditto for American Physho. Couple that with the comic hertiage of Frank Millers work and the host of supporting cast, and I'm seriously looking forward to this film.

Sarfraz....should apologise for further removing thread from KR :roll:
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:29 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:W.I.T.T. : Wayne Industries Two Thousand? :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. :lol:
HAHA!! :lol:

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:04 pm

This New Batmobile is Truly Horrible
it looks like an ugly army battletank.

SG-1
Stranger

Post by SG-1 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:16 am

i think it is the most revolting thing i have seen with an engine, i mean what makes it worse is how sleak the other bat cars looked, but has this been hit with an ulgy stick or what. And besides if the film is set in batman's past we know he can't lose as we see him in his future in the other films. I think they will murder a what used to be in the first two films a promising franchise, but from where the last one left off it was redeamable, but if this fails or succeeds we will not see the older batman, because if fails they won't want to risk another one but if it is a blockbuster, they will not want to go to the old unpopular style, i think they should just give the film to tim burton director of the first two and give the title role to a older actor.

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:39 am

It looks too much like a tank instead of the Batmobile. Sometimes change is good - but NOT this time. :evil: . to each his/her own.