Correct Dimensions

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Arjun
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Correct Dimensions

Post by Arjun » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:52 am

Two different pages have different data sheets for the 1982 Trans Am.

From this page:
Overall length 4823 mm / 189.8 in

From this page:
Length 4770 mm / 187.8 in

Not much difference in the other dimensions, but as much as 60 cms in length. Does anyone know the overall correct dimensions of the 1982 Trans Am?

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:50 am

Searched far and wide, but to no avail, sorry. I was really hoping to find a line drawing from an owners manual to convert to KITT. Maybe someone here can help me as well?
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:54 am

Dunno what happened there. Posted twice. Please ignore this post altogether. :-)
Last edited by aussieknight on Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:45 pm

I was really hoping to find a line drawing from an owners manual to convert to KITT.
Those were the original Trans Am dimensions, but they're different. Do you have a Trans Am or are you going to use another car available locally?

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:04 pm

Sorry, you have me all wrong. I was looking for a drawing, to convert it to a bit of a plan. A bit like what Micheal uses in Goliath to fix KITT in the desert. I WISH I had a TA, and in fact have seen some available in a city a couple of hours away (Brisbane) for about 8 grand. Unfortunately, I don't have the money for that. Yet. As Turboman Knight says, the Toyota Supra he's chosen for his avatar is a kinda close approximation. But me being a fussy bugger means I'd never be happy unless I had something that die-hard KR fans would be hard pressed to fault. Oh, but right hand drive, of course! ;-)

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:52 am

I have been trying to prepare these 4-view blueprints, but without good pictures of an exact front/top/side/rear view, what I am getting is far from accurate, though they're quite close.

A Trans Am in Australia? Right hand drive? There are just 2 Trans Ams in India that I know of, one registered on pontiac.sk and another which was seen by a few locals in a high profile area in Mumbai. That's why I want to prepare a Trans Am kit and install it on the base of another car available locally, but that car may be a luxury car like a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry.

What kind of cars sell in Australia? Here, not a single car is a two-seater/two-door coupe (a car called Dolphin bombed because of that), so I can't use an existing car. Moreover, the cars are higher than the Trans Ams, so I would prefer the base of a car, without seats or an exterior, over which I can make a Trans Am kit. The Trans Am is huge!

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:51 pm

Sorry, where are your blueprints? I'd like to see 'em. We get all sorts of cars here. This is a close approximation, but not real cheap either:
1992 Toyota Supra. 6 cylinder, and the Turbo models go real well! Nissan have this alternative:
That's assuming you have these cars over there too.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:30 am

If you remember, I had posted a thread about a mechanic in Bangladesh who makes his own Ferrari and Lamborghini kits and fixes them on local cars. There are 'kit cars' which can be installed over local cars, although they're made mostly for Ferrari/Lamborghini/Porsche. These kits can be installed over the cars you mentioned. I don't have a scanner, but if I get the picture scanned, I can post it.

Not too many Toyota Supras or Nissans, and they're owned by rich tycoons, filmstars or famous sportspersons. We have cars classified in the following segments-
  1. B segment- Small cars. REALLY small cars.
  2. C segment- Slightly bigger, but ultra-compact by American standards. We have the Maruti Esteem, Ford Ikon, Hyundai Accent, Opel Corsa, Suzuki Baleno and Honda city among the most famous.
  3. D segment- Slightly bigger and more expensive, we have the Hyundai Elantra, Toyota Corolla, Chevrolet Optra, Skoda Octavia among the most famous.
  4. Luxury cars- Big ones. Luxurious and very expensive machines. We have the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Ford Mondeo, Opel Vectra, Hyundai Sonata and the Mercedes cars being the most famous.
We also have a few imported cars owned by the richest in the city, such as BMW, Porsche, and the Italian exotics.

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:25 pm

Interesting that your D segment as you called it, still has mostly front wheel drive cars. Our most commonly sold cars are the locallly built ones, ie Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore, both being RWD. Ford went and lifted up the Falcon wagon and made it a 4WD ie:
But Holden had already beaten it to the punch by whacking a 4WD system under it's V8 Commodore wagon, thus:
ImageImage
giving it massive power, and amazing traction. I can't wait to see if they do a sedan version. It'd sure give the Subaru WRX boys a scare!
Let's not forget the Mitsubishi offering. They took their FWD Magna and 4WD'd it, giving us the Magna VRX:
You can get all those cars in poverty pack, in 2WD, or upmarket, with all the bells and whistles. And leather ;-).
And hey, if you wanted to build a mini KITT, you could always grab a Mazda RX7 and mod it:
Or if you can find a later one:
How many of those do you have over there?

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:55 am

There are very few rear wheel drives in India, since that has been discontinued ever since Maruti-Suzuki entered the market. I hear it is rather inconvenient, as an Audi ad has proven several years ago.

We have the Mitsubishi Lancer, but I would not want to modify that.

I had thought of making a mini-KITT using a local model, but no Mazdas sell here.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:40 am

The official Pontiac site has no technical information about the Trans Am, but I would like to know, are Carfolio's statistics genuine?

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:05 pm

Try Pontiac Historical Society (google for URL). They deal with the older models. The PHS is actually a part of Pontiac.