New idea for KITT's voice box

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

New idea for KITT's voice box

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:28 pm

I always loved the voice box with the moving bars that KITT had. But I was thinking if they do the movie, wouldn't it be neat to instead have a small TV screen in that place, and on the screen a head/body? Sorta like Andromeda's computer guy or Max Headroom but obviously with KITT's personality! They could have William Daniels do the voice overs but use computer generated graphics for KITT's human-looking persona. A nice guy about late 20s/early 30s, with strong arms and short, sleek black hair and a semi-innocent yet devlishly mischievous looking face. ;) This would also give KITT the opportunity to express more emotion such as laughing, sadness, upset at Micheal's shenanegans, give Micheal a dagger-stare when Micheal is up to no good or gets sarcastic, looks upwards in near exasperation when Micheal is thinking of doing the unthinkable, etc. :lol: Maybe even stick his tongue out at Micheal after he leaves the car after saying something not-so-nice to KITT. :twisted:

I just thought the idea would be cool. ;)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:44 pm

Gotta disagree with you there. I like keeping the distinction that KITT is first and foremost a computer. I can't imagine any way they could pull that off without it just looking silly.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

K.I.A.N
Rookie

Post by K.I.A.N » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:23 am

I think KITT's voice box is good the way it is but it's most likely going to get changed in the movie.
Fan Of The New Knight Rider!

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:36 am

It was just an idea. :) Who knows what they'll do for the movie. Hopefully nothing like KR2000. It'd be nice to have the black T/A back but with some "newer" modifications. That would be one of them. Or, he could still have his old voice box but also a human-character counterpart that he could decide to show on one of his video monitors. I just think it would be fun to see what Kitt's expressions would be if he had any. :)

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:58 am

If there would be a movie they should Use a Bandit Trans Am. The year should be about 77-79. The 80-81 Trans Am had a really bad looking nose. They should go real Old SKool with some LED's for the Voice Box. I just found out the other day that my old man had a 78 Firebird. Same as the Bandit Trans Am.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:39 am

I always loved the Bandits. In fact, I always wanted one! When I first saw KITT on KR I remember remarking to my dad that "That's no Trans Am! I don't know what the heck that is!" LOL! But I loved KITT anyway. I was just back then used to the Bandits and had a model car kit of one, as well as KITT eventually. Wish I had my models now. :(

I don't think KITT would work in a Bandit though. I like his 80s firebird body and I for one loved the nose, especially in the later seasons.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:36 pm

Click here to see KITT in a late 1970's style Pontiac Trans-Am (225KB) . . .

(Depending on your browser, you could open that link in a new tab!)

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:37 pm

*melts* Hey that looks almost like the front of my car (minus the hood scoops) ! :shock:

That looks sweet! But KITT's devilishly witty personality fits the modified nose style of the '82s more. He just LOOKS the part. :)

This would look nice for maybe KARR - big, brutish, ready for action!

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:48 pm

My idea for the voic box is to keep the same basic 3 columns of red bars, but have it projected on the windshield as part of a sophisticated heads-up display. That way, it keeps the loko of the old but gives it a modern update.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:01 pm

ugh...he looks a lot better in his trans am, lol
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:59 pm

A '68 Pontiac Firebird 400. KITT should be one.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:54 pm

Noooooo!! :shock: I mean, I never liked the round headlights on the pre-70s firebirds.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:25 pm

FuzzieDice wrote: *melts* Hey that looks almost like the front of my car (minus the hood scoops) ! :shock:

That looks sweet! But KITT's devilishly witty personality fits the modified nose style of the '82s more. He just LOOKS the part. :)

This would look nice for maybe KARR - big, brutish, ready for action!
Your wish is my command . . . click here . . . (222KB)

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:10 pm

You mean "MY wish is YOUR command..."? But in KARR's case, I don't think so. LOL!

Love the image you did! Thank you. :)

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:44 am

I couldn't picture KITT with anything but the bars. They can't change the bars. They can move 'em, making 'em bigger, smaller... but that's KITT's face to me. And I couldn't picture KITT with an actual face either. For one, I couldn't think of a being more sexy than that black '82 Trans Am :P But also because I like KITT's mysterious.. ness. It always leaves him open to your own interpretation... I dunno, maybe it's just me :P But good idea, nonetheless!

Good images, DJGM! It's interesting to see KITT in that body, lol. I agree with FuzzieDice in that it fits KARR better... but I couldn't picture either one of 'em as a first generation Firebird or 'Am. Don't get me wrong, those cars look good... damn good, actually *Drool* but... I dunno. KITT's the lastest in technology, it's hard to see an older car as such.

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:48 am

Does anyone have any pics of the dash of KIFT? I was disappointed with the scrolling voice display that was used in Knight Rider 2000. I believe that the voice box situated right in front of the driver in the original design gave Micheal a region to interact with, like a "face" for KITT. Somewhere to direct his speech, as well as "see" when KITT was speaking, rather than having no visual cues at all. Interestingly, in the pilot, as well as the season 1 intro, fashes to the voicebox show the words Knight 2000 on a white square where the flashing red square and later 3 bar display are located. I wonder how that developed. Joe, Ritchie? Any clues?
:kittspin:
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:08 am

Heres some images of the Dash:

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:04 am

That is pretty lame. KITT'S dash was one of his most impressive features! I can see that there's something where the wheel is too, but not much. Does anyone have a website?

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:17 pm

Forget it! I found it. Thanks to fuzziedice's Knight Dreams website. Here's a cutaway pic:

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:32 pm

:lol:
Not bad DJGM - But I still prefer Kitt in a 82 Firebird. Fuzziedice - I am just wondering how and when you came up the this kind of an original idea to transform a Pontiac 6000 into a Knighted Ride. One thing is for sure - It will deffinitly be one of a kind - at least for a little bit.
:lol: :wink:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:56 pm

aussieknight wrote:Forget it! I found it. Thanks to fuzziedice's Knight Dreams website.
Cool! I forgot I had a link to that. :) My links and KR section keeps growing. I think that is one of the cutaways they used for the show, if I remember right.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:10 pm

R.J.1984 wrote: Fuzziedice - I am just wondering how and when you came up the this kind of an original idea to transform a Pontiac 6000 into a Knighted Ride. One thing is for sure - It will deffinitly be one of a kind - at least for a little bit.
:lol: :wink:
:lol: Well, I had my 6000 for about 4 years already and then one day, I was surfing the net and got to thinking about old TV shows I used to like, and looked them up. I immediately found a whole community of people who not only liked Knight Rider, but also had been building replicas! So I just decided that since my car was starting to become a rust bucket, and the inside is pretty bad, and it needs some mechanical work that will cost me a lot, but it still runs fantastic, I decided to give it a go and restore it. I also always wanted a hot rod. :) Of course it'll never get to be one, but at least it'll be one cool Knighted Ride!

I do know of others that have made Knighted Rides. They are far and few between but I would be amazed and quite happy to see more people get into creating them. It can be quite fun. :)

As for when, shortly before my web site went up. I'd say late May/Early June. I know it was before my yearly inspection because I called my mechanic for an appointment and was telling him about my endeavers to restore the car. Then by the time the apponintment came around, I had the site up already and gave him the addy for it.

I've been a KR fan ever since the Pilot aired and seen all of the episodes at least once (even if I forgot a lot of them, some stick in my mind) and the KR2000 movie which I was not at all happy with. I look forward to getting the DVD set. I hope they do all 4 seasons.

Someone in another forum came up with the idea of calling cars like mine a "knighted ride". That means it's not a ricer and not a replica. :) And according to one of my neighbors who rode in the car once, he said my car kicks ass! (It's fast for a four-banging iron duke engine!)

My car (which I named Kitt ;) ) deserves my best attention. It got me to/from point A to point B, even loaned it to a close friend when her car was in for repairs. It is just a great car all around, and very dependable.

I hope to some day at least get it nice enough to take to cruise nights and maybe even car shows. I always wanted a show car, too. It's my only set of wheels so I have to keep it in good shape for that reason as well. :)

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:24 am

Do me a favour and let me know when you have completed it - I would love to see how it looks inside and out. 8)

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:22 pm

This seems like the appropriate thread to post this in but for all of those people who liked my designs for what i think the Knight 3000 should look like, I am in the process of revamping the dashboard completely, and also KITT's voice modulator. For a while, I was trying to think of what else it could possibly look good as if we did away with the 3 vertical bars and I had an inspiration the other day and I think it will look VERY cool when completed. It's a bit of a radical departure from what we're used to seeing but in case you're wondering, it's still a graphical display and is still red, so hopefully it will also be somewhat familiar looking. I'll tell you guys what, designing the car was relatively easy for me but the dashboard is much harder because of the detail and because I'm grappling with just modifying the basic dashboard of the 1998-2004 4th gen. Firebird/Trans Am line or just doing away with it completely pretty much and starting with a design from scratch. The original series modified the existing dashboard design and I think that since my Knight 3000 is supposed to be an evolution of the design of the original KITT, I should probably not design my own dash from scratch. Besides, should anyone (or me) ever want my designs to be fleshed out in real life for a replica or whatever, I need to keep that in mind as it's generally easier to modify an existing design than to create one totally from the ground up. Anyway, more detailed designs of my new dash and more designs of the Knight 3000 will be on their way before college resumes at the end of August hopefully. :-)
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:26 pm

Thanks, RJ. :) email me and let me know so I don't forget. I'll always have updates and such on my site too. It's turning into quite a project. :)