#1 comment on kr video game from non-kr fans

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

djshag69
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

#1 comment on kr video game from non-kr fans

Post by djshag69 » Mon May 17, 2004 9:27 am

Being all of us in this disscusion we are very much into knight rider, with that in mind if the kr video game wasn't the best game ever made we would still play it till 6am and not think twice. But i showed some of my friends who are avid gamers the knight rider game trailer, the comment i heard every time was

"I don't see how you can play a video game where you in the car the entire time"

With that comment, i wonder with games like GTA3 and vice city and first person shooters so popular, what if they made the knight rider game where some levels you have to be michael and actually do some james bond type missions, walking around, shootouts, even be able to call kitt to come pick you up. I mean hes not inside kitt the entire time on the tv show, so why not incorporate that into the video game.

This is just something i have been thinking about, and was curious on getting feedback for the many fans out there.

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Mon May 17, 2004 10:04 am

This was on The List Of Suggestions that was sent to Davilex last year. :)

To be fair though, its very hard to make a game that crosses several genres.

Vice City just about pulls it off, but I think its fair to say that the hand to hand combat is rubbish in comparison to most fighting games. As is the gunplay. And the driving. Sniping... etc.

If you make a 'jack of all trades' game, then obviously each individual section would be less polished than other games centred on specific genres.

Lets be frank here, Rockstar Games are huge in comparison to Davilex. They had the resources to pull it off.

As Davilex aren't really in the position to do the same, I personally would prefer them to concentrate on just the driving sections. After all, we all want to drive KITT, and for them to at least get that part correct. :)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Re: #1 comment on kr video game from non-kr fans

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon May 17, 2004 11:51 am

djshag69 wrote:"I don't see how you can play a video game where you in the car the entire time"
Sounds to me like there's some Gamer Snobbery going on: latching on to whatever the latest trend is and then automatically dismissing any game that isn't a clone of the status quo.

The distinguishing thing about Knight Rider was the car. I don't WANT to walk around as Michael Knight, I want to drive the car. Would I want to play a game where half the time I walk around a lab as Bruce Banner? No. Just make me big and green and let me smash things.

My response would be, if their attention span is so short that they can't be entertained by a high-tech driving game, they can always step away from the computer and eat Cheetoh's in front of MTV-2 all day long instead.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Mon May 17, 2004 11:58 am

You tell them Michael Pajaro 8)

dragonball1957
Operative

Post by dragonball1957 » Mon May 17, 2004 2:29 pm

exactly . i really dont care about being on foot either . fOR me it just slows the game down .

I think this is one type of game were watching the show first can really give u the idea of why the developers have only kitt to use .

Spy hunter doent have characters but most ppl like it . And thats a really old game as well .

to be Honest , Micheal Cant really Fight anyways . especialy in season 4 . My little brother use to always laugh when Micheal fights . Cause all he does is
1) Block a punch
2) hit the enemy 1-2 times with a punch or kick
3) Sholder flip the enemy (while somehow the threat goes unconcous
when he barley got roughed up.
4) Micheal then says a cheesy line ex:"U may be cheesy , but im cheesier"
lol , I made that quote up though , lol . :lol: :D
5) repeat.

So ........ I rather be kitt instead . lol

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Mon May 17, 2004 3:37 pm

Hehe... its true. I always joked that he's from the 'Captain Kirk school of fighting'.

Amazing how those punches do so much damage despite missing by a clear foot... ;)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon May 17, 2004 4:37 pm

If Michael learned out to fight from Kirk, then Bonnie learned engineering from Scotty... amazing how quickly they're able to fix things or invent new systems!

kido
Operative

Post by kido » Mon May 17, 2004 4:57 pm

And Kitt learned his logic from Spock.

All this and more from the Starfleet Academy :P
Knight Industries Defence One

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Mon May 17, 2004 5:10 pm

Michael: Are we clear to turbo?

KITT: I donnae know if the engines can take it. I cannae change the laws of physics...

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Mon May 17, 2004 6:45 pm

Mind you, in the pilot, Michael beats up a room full of baddies, and barely breaks out in a sweat. Sure, we may not SEE it happen, but it was supposed to have. I laughed at the "sit and rotate" line. :-D
:spmgo:
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Tue May 18, 2004 1:05 pm

Sith i see your point about davilex makes sense. I mean personally i think everything is correct, i enjoyed the game for nintendo back in the day just because it was kitt. dont get me wrong one day would be nice to be running around with michael in the game and call for kitt and he comes and picks you up. until then we can work with that we have, which in my opnion isnt bad at all

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Wed May 19, 2004 7:47 am

Knight Rider is not the only in car based game what about all the rally games and the F1 games here in the uk are a dissapointment here in the uk, you know the sort of game you think you would love but some how it's just can't.

The italian Job I thougt was a good game that was all behind the wheel

So there are loads of them out there!

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Wed May 19, 2004 8:59 am

well i just ordered the game for my pc, better late then never i suppose.

I was wondering, i was actually also tempted to buy it for the ps2. How would i go about buying the game if i live in the u.s.?

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed May 19, 2004 11:17 am

You should be able to purchase it through Amazon.com once it is released in the UK.

I'll post up a list of UK export retailers nearer to the release date, if the USA PS2 release doesn't happen.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed May 19, 2004 11:27 am

European PS2 games are PAL specific and won't work on Playstations in the U.S. I have never actually tested this, but that's what I've been told and even on the PS2 packaging it says "PAL".

dragonball1957
Operative

Post by dragonball1957 » Wed May 19, 2004 2:22 pm

theres only one solution to play Knight Rider on a US PS2 .

I have to get the swapMagic disk . Theres an option that allows u to play PAL or NTSC games depending on what u want .

u can get it here . thats were i got it from http//www.modchip.com

I bought from this Site many times and there fast and respond to emails in less then 24 hours .
I own both Ps2 And PC versions of KnightRider .

The only different thing that the Ps2 version has that i notice is the MotionBlur when doing "Cinema" turboboost .

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed May 19, 2004 2:34 pm

As Dragonball said, you can purchase modchips (and also unlocking discs if you look around ;)) but be warned this does invalidate your warranty. So if you break your PS2, don't expect Sony to touch it. But for those who have the money - you could always purchase a PAL PS2 with the game. There are quite a few deals around over here, giving free games etc when you purchase the console.

All you would need then, is a PAL compatible TV (most recent TVs can run both PAL and NTSC) and a convertor plug so that the UK power socket can be plugged straight into your US power supply.

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Wed May 19, 2004 4:03 pm

well i got the swap disk, and i went to http://www.amazon.com for the uk which has the knight rider game, but they said they dont mail to the u.s. The normal amazon doesn't have the kr game for ps2. Any other site where they would ship it to the u.s.?

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed May 19, 2004 5:57 pm

To be honest I think its best to wait until closer to the release date, as information put on websites now so early in advance, usually get changed. So I wouldn't pre-order anything just yet - some places may not even get stock if its a limited release.

Like I said though, nearer the release I'll have a look round all the major UK sites for anyone hoping to import. :)

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu May 20, 2004 2:17 am

One of my major complains has been that throughout the years, EVERY LAST KR video game has been 100% behind the wheel.

I can understand how having Michael walk around would slow the game down. But, I can also see there being a benefit to it.

Now, maybe Michael doesn't have to get in and out of KITT like they do in a GTA game. But, we could alway be given some sort of stripped down version of a FPS engine for some stages along with CGI movies of him running to KITT and hopping in or jumping out a window into KITT's seat and such.

KRKen's incredible game (and freeware, to boot) was suppose to be able to perform this. Though, I am unaware of how his valient efforts are going, these days. Which is a loss to us all.

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 am

Sith you mentioned release date, im not talking about kr 2 for ps2 im talking about the first kr for ps2. Thats the one i was hoping to find, and have them ship it over to the u.s.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Thu May 20, 2004 7:16 pm

jup wrote:msKen's incredible game (and freeware, to boot) was suppose to be able to perform this. Though, I am unaware of how his valient efforts are going, these days. Which is a loss to us all.
Jup, You'll be very pleased to know that the game is making great progress. http://www.knightriderfans.com < homepage coming soon. I've been posting updates at krfoundation.com. Just receantly I posted screen shots of MY OWN KITT model which you will find is getting close to being very acurate now.

Yes still has a lot of work to go. But I'm getting closer everyday.

The engine I'm using uses Havoc Physics, and exports to both PC MAC and X-BOX. Obviouslly the x-box part will never happen unless I can grab an x-box dev kit off of ebay. But it is a possibility. Don't lose hope on me yet Jup! lol.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit

Post by KARR Engineer » Fri May 21, 2004 9:49 am

If it's made from scratch, that is very impressive! I'm a horrid nitpicker: what's with the blue on the wheel caps?
I think it's perfect! Just make the foglight openings bigger, and hey! I will stop complaining!

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Tue May 25, 2004 4:42 pm

so how would i go about getting kr on ps2 if im in the u.s.?

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue May 25, 2004 5:59 pm

I've heard conflicting stories... I'm not sure Davilex ever did release their first Knight Rider game for U.S. PS2s. The European version won't work on an American PS2, so you may simply be out of luck. (or have to do some complicated work-around like people have been describing.)