End Credits

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Arjun
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

End Credits

Post by Arjun » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:44 am

If you have seen Part 1 of Goliath Returns, the end credits feature David Duvall and the cameraman, both from Speed Demons. Even at the end of "Let It Be Me", I have found credits for "Coyote" and "Frank", characters from "Mouth of the Snake". Even the end credit music was different- it was for a special episode, such as Snake or the Goliath stories, or Junk Yard Dog. Has anyone noticed this timing of episode end credits? I don't know about Sci Fi or Bravo, but that's how it was on the local channel here, which even aired "Blind Spot" before Goliath. Of course, they might have also aired Big Iron first, as it was originally back then, though they now air the episodes in proper order.

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:27 am

Star World showed the first part of Goliath returns on the weekend and I too noticed it for the first time. I thought they might have used the end credits from the previous episodes because they decided to 'cut' the 1:30 hours episode differently. I guess not!

When Knight Rider was shown in Israel, the first episode ended with KITT going off the cliff. on Star World though they ended the first episode when some guy calls Garth to tell him Michael Knight is around, about 3 minutes before the cliff hanger.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:40 am

I thought they might have used the end credits from the previous episodes because they decided to 'cut' the 1:30 hours episode differently.
So that explains the Goliath Returns mis-timing. As for Let It Be Me, I'm not too sure. You might notice the same in a few weeks, if you get Knight Rider only on Saturdays.
When Knight Rider was shown in Israel, the first episode ended with KITT going off the cliff. on Star World though they ended the first episode when some guy calls Garth to tell him Michael Knight is around, about 3 minutes before the cliff hanger.
When was that? When I last saw that episode, the first part ended with the call, while the second part started with KITT going off the cliff.

Even "Knight of the Drones - Part I" has an unusual end, where Michael just tries to run away from Margo's 'hideout', when he sees Halston.

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:22 am

Wierdish... But If you get TV stations cutting scenes from episodes to trim them (That didn't happen in Israel and doesn't happen on Star World) then I guess they can also change the scene that ends the first part in a 2-part episode.

How were those episodes shown originally? Where they too cut into two, or were the 90 minutes episodes shown as a one, long, episode? That certainly could explain TV stations getting a 90-minute episode and then cutting them in the middle themselves.

In my version of Knight of the drones, the first episode ends right after the rocket from one of the cars hits KITT and Michae, having been ejected, asks KITT if he's ok, with no reply. The next episode started with Bonny talking to KITT who goes on the mobile Unit.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:29 pm

The 2-parters were shown separately, not as a single 90-minute episode. When Star Plus in the early 90's showed Manimal, The Fall Guy, Automan and Street Hawk, the opening double episodes were shown as a single 90-minute show. Not this time, though.

The rocket hits KITT in a later part of the second part of KOTD. The second part starts with the scene where Michael and Devon ask Bonnie about Halston, "What was he doing with Margo Sheridan?"

I don't remember KARR asking John to alter his appearance, when they showed KITT v/s KARR. That scene was cut out from several runs, especially on SCI-FI. But cutting them down to 30-minute episodes was something that happened in the early 90's on an Indian channel- they did not even show the trailers. But of course, they might show that scene, since the third season will start, or re-start, shortly.

Not only that, I have noticed they have always left out "Knight of the Phoenix" in each re-run and have even left out "Deadly Maneuvers" and "Good Day..." this time and started directly from "Slammin' Sammy's..".

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:32 pm

Originally, when the 2 parters aired on NBC, they were as one, which is why they have some strange endings when they are split. There are a few scenes that got hacked out to make them two parters.

The whole two part thing came into its own in the 90's, but back in the 80's, they were movies of the week. They were one. :)

KI

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:29 am

Oh, that explains the whole TV Movie Thing. I didn't really get that total. I just figured it was mostly likely show as one and it was more important then a normal ep. But did they make a big deal about them?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:35 am

Relatively, for NBC at the time, they did it just as they do any movie on NBC.

KI

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:55 am

Wait a minute, when Goliath originally aired in 1983 and KITT got banged up, we had to wait until the following week to see the ending. What did they do for credits back then?

I don't recall ever seeing the 2 hour KRs playing as one episode on TV at anytime. Please enlighten me :shock:

SH

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:47 am

Here's what Star World showed between double episodes-

Knight of the Phoenix- Never showed it. For some strange reason.

Goliath- They showed Goliath knocking KITT out of its path at the end of part 1.

Goliath Returns- They showed the phone call scene. The part of Goliath going off the cliff was a little later in Part II. They also showed the end credits of Speed Demons, with a different, 'special', theme tune (like in the opening sequence).

Mouth of the Snake- They showed KITT 'getting blown by that missile', only revealed to be a missile blowing up on hitting hard ground in the next part. End credits for this episode, for some strange reason, carried on to "Let It Be Me".

Knight of the Drones- They showed Michael leaving Margo's and Halston's hideout. When part 2 started, Michael and Devon were questionning Bonnie. Later on, KITT gets blown up.

Knight of the Juggernaut- They show Michael and KITT being crushed by that ugly ram-tank, till, for some strange reason, yellow Roman fonts appeared, saying, "TO BE CONTINUED". Part 2 starts with the title of the episode "KNIGHT OF THE JUGGERNAUT" in yellow Roman font.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:54 pm

spyhunter wrote:Wait a minute, when Goliath originally aired in 1983 and KITT got banged up, we had to wait until the following week to see the ending. What did they do for credits back then?

I don't recall ever seeing the 2 hour KRs playing as one episode on TV at anytime. Please enlighten me :shock:

SH
Talk to Knightvision. I know you are just out to argue with me no matter what I say.

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:08 pm

It's unlikely, but possible, that if you grew up in the U.S. your local TV station went against the NBC Network schedule and split up the episodes. But I'd give 10-1 odds that your mind (spyhunter) is bringing up memories of watching the syndicated versions and not the original airings. As far as what happened overseas, each country may have a different story.

As evidence that they originally aired as single episodes, look at the ads, which specifically say they are two hours.

All the other two-hour episodes have similar ads.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:50 pm

Perhaps He watched it on NBC as a rerun. As I remember the original showing was the two hour special and during the Mid season Holiday break or the following summer it was rerun as a two parter.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:14 pm

What feature length episode was that ad for? I was trying to look for clues in the pic but couldn't make out much.

Am I right in saying it was for Goliath?

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:44 pm

Yes, that's the original ad for Goliath. When NBC ran Goliath again later in the season, it remained as a single 2-hour episode. They ran a smaller ad.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:20 pm

Ah, my bad, I should've remembered looking at those ads on your site Mike.

I'm not sure what I'm thinking of then... Could it have been a teaser, but I don't think they would have played a teaser one week prior to the Season Premier?

SH

knightvision
Operative

Post by knightvision » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:15 pm

Spyhunter and the rest of you, Knight Rider NEVER had two part episodes. Those episodes aired as complete 2 hours with commercials.

Just like Mike is showing you in the advertisements from TV Guide, All the season premieres (think the Pilot, Goliath, Knight of the Drones, Knight of the Juggernaut) were all 2 hour episodes (which if you have the Columbia House versions you will know this). So were Mouth of the Snake and Goliath Returns.

Goliath aired with an NBC produced teaser and so did the pilot.

Knight Rider had 84 episodes NOT 90. 90 hours yes, but not 90 episodes.

Richie

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:07 pm

Gotcha, but I am just trying to figure out why I so strongly remember as a kid when watching Goliath for the first time in the midwest, it being split up by a week, and remembering how hard it was to wait to see how Michael and KITT survived the wreck.

SH

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:17 pm

If I may without snappage, you may have seen them on the replay, rather than the initial. I know that I remember seeing Knight of the Drones split up, but that is because my memory keeps jumping back to a more memorable viewing of it due to some other event that happened simultaneously that imprinted the viewing to your head.

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:23 pm

You grew up in the midwest? Small town, with a big sports following? Those kind of local stations are more likely to mess up a Network schedule to accomodate local sports coverage, or even things like the local Boy Scout troop Annual dinner. I really doubt ALL of the two-hours would have been split up, but if the local high school baseball team went to the National championship or something like that, an episode could have been split up. Again, I think that's VERY unlikely, but that might happen.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:59 pm

Yep, Aberdeen, SD to be exact. Small town, but I don't recall too many sports, but maybe enough to have messed up the schedule.

It's more likely that our station split up a replay of it and that is the version I saw as KI added, if I understood correctly. Since I don't recall the exact order that I saw the 2nd Season eppys in.

As much as I loved KR, there are several episodes that I always managed to miss as a kid, the worst was that I missed Juggernaut, it wasn't until the 90s that I saw it for the first time! What a shame!

SH

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit

Post by KARR Engineer » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:29 am

In Poland, The 2 hour epidodes were split and at the start of Goliath, a voice said 'Goliath, Part 2'.