Goliath eps inspired by Duel?

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Skav
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Goliath eps inspired by Duel?

Post by Skav » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:39 am

I just finished watching 'Duel' made by Steven Spielberg and decided to search up some facts and came across this:

Knight Rider was heavily influenced by 'Duel.' The Season 2 opening movie, 'Goliath' starred an unstoppable 18 wheeler driven by a pyschotic man. There were loads of similarities between 'Duel' and these 'Goliath' episodes. For example: The animal howl the truck makes when it passes and how both vehicles meet their demise by flying off the side of a cliff.

I would like to know where the "animal" howl is from the Goliath truck...I know what it's talking about but I couldn't spot any howl in Goliath.

And I don't know how to interpret the last sentence since KITT and Goliath never went off any cliff together!

Some ppl need to do their homework a bit more ;)

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:42 am

Well, Goliath makes a growl like sound in several of the close ups in the series.

And when it says both vehicles, it means Goliath and the truck from Duel. Not KITT ;)

Now, write me an essay :P

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:14 pm

any truck makes a growling like noise close up but the goliath truck didn't specifically make a direct imitation from the duel truck.

i think someone was just being petty.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:33 pm

Every single time Goliath passes the camera, he makes a growl, that they exaggerated, unless the dubbing track was changed a bit for the UK, that is how we keep hearing it in the US. I remember it, because I always thought it sounded a little too over the top. I've been passed by semis before, and they sure don't sound like they are in pain.

KI

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:03 pm

I have just seen- and heard- the second part of "Goliath Returns" and believe me, that truck, whatever make it is, does make a LOT of noise- grunting, howling, ringing, clanging, all mixed- along with that annoying horn!

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:26 pm

The growl is much more animalistic as Goliath is sinking into the ocean in Goliath Returns. I haven't seen (or heard) Duel, but this is the sound Goliath makes:

http://www.knightridermovie.com/misc/goliathgrowl.mp3
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:31 pm

Ah, Mike, you're right about the growl when Goliath hits the water from goin over the cliff.

I remember that one now.

I'll still havta check out the others.

Skav

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:15 am

I also hear one long moaning voice when Goliath, tracor and trailer, fall into the water.

But why doesn't Goliath blow up the way KARR (Phase 1) does when he goes off the bridge?

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:32 am

Because we've come to the conclusion, or most have, that KARR was activating his turbo boost to try and stabilise his landing which caused a backfire as he crashed into the sea.

Goliath had no features except for the MBS.

He could have still blown up anyway but I'll take it as just one of those crashes where it didn't.

I think hitting the water might have soften the impact of the crash but hitting water from that height is like hitting concrete anyway, so who knows?

Skav

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:47 pm

KARR hit rocks and stuff for the most part... Goliath plunged into the water.

-scott
Arjun wrote:I also hear one long moaning voice when Goliath, tracor and trailer, fall into the water.

But why doesn't Goliath blow up the way KARR (Phase 1) does when he goes off the bridge?

knightvision
Operative

Post by knightvision » Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:04 pm

I always thought that the sound that Garthe makes with Goliath was to show supremacy and to intimidate Mike and KITT.

I just though that the sound was cool and different in comparison to the sound KITT makes using his turbines.

Mike, whats the new avatar of, KITT's headlights or from a scene?

Richie

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:33 pm

Actually the "animal" growl isn't the same one from "Duel". The one from "Duel" is a lot lower. The growl used in "Duel" is a dinosaur growl from the original version of "The Lost World" (way before Spielberg got into filmmaking). He not only used the growl in "Duel", but in "Jaws" as well, which is heard as the shark sinks down to the bottom of the ocean after being blown up. He explained in a documentary on the "Jaws" DVD that he used the sound to connect both films, because both are about the same thing: A relentless leviathan that stalks its prey, no matter how hard they fight it or try to get away from it. For "Duel" (though we don't see much of the driver), the truck is a monster. In "Jaws", it was the shark that was the monster. That is why the growl is used.

However, it doesn't surprised me that the production company doing "Knight Rider" borrowed the animal growl idea, seeing that they were probably trying to make Goliath what KITT described it as: a behemoth. They made a psuedo reference to "Psycho" in "Halloween Knight" (Michael, you know which reference I'm talking about), though the name in the address isn't the same from either the films or the novels.