Could A Car Like KITT Exist Today?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

The Real Michael Knight
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Championing the cause of the innocent, the helpess, the powerless

Could A Car Like KITT Exist Today?

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:25 pm

Well this is my first post (and thread) here for that matter. I just would to say hi to everyone out there. *waves*

Well that being said and done, I was really curious to as if anyone here thinks a car like KITT could exist with today's technology. I'm thinking many parts of KITT can, but the sophisticated computer system that is KITT probably no. I mean KITT is a self-aware computer system right? He thinks on his own, solves problems, has a personality, ETC. But of course, he follows a preset programming. But who knows, maybe I'm just wrong about the understanding of today's technology. I mean I'm sure the government has secret technology that we can only dream about. So maybe a KITT is possible in today's world.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:04 pm

I believe that the government has technology that we don't know about, but in spite of all the James Bond fantasies I think the government (i.e. military) is usually only about 5-10 years ahead of industry. I don't think they have too many super secret laser weapons or teleportation devices up their sleeves.

My personal opinion is that we are about 20 years away from a semi-reliable self-driving car (for use as a taxi, shuttlebus or such) and at least 50 years away from building a computer that even begins to resemble KITT's level of intelligence. You can search the internet and find experts who say true A.I. is just around the corner (5 years) and find others who say it will never happen. My opinion is that developing a KITT-like intelligence is inevitable, but it won't happen in our lifetmies.

So for me, my short answer is "no, KITT is not possible in today's world."
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:59 pm

10 years, for the barebones true AI. 20 for KITT. Providing bureaucracy isn't going to poo on it.

Welcome to the board. You might want to search around, there has been a few debates on the concept recently :)

KI

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:27 am

welcome to the world of the knight rider fan!

Transparent
Rookie

Post by Transparent » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:30 am

5-10 years ahead of industry
This used to be the case when governments had larger pools of cash for R&D, however the sheer volume of cash that industry can throw at research has effectively closed this gap.

These days it is the law that creates any seperation between the technologies that the Military and the common person can use.

For security reasons American/UK companies aren't legally allowed to export computer hardware beyond certain boundaries. Primarily this is processor power. The reason for this is simple. The protection of current encryption technologies employed by the American/UK military.

Technology these days is driven by Industry. Until the next cold war anyway.

So all we have to do is convince Pontiac and IBM that there is a market for Kitt!

Ghost-Unmade
Rookie

Post by Ghost-Unmade » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:22 am

ONe of the serious problems with the question of whether KITT is possible today, is whether KITT is possible period.

There was never any serious attempt to explain the technolgy behind such concepts as turbo boost, the MBS etc. And that front scanner is only one device. Could any one device ever do as much as that thing apparantly did?

And would all the gadgets, accessories, computer equipment, grappling hooks, etc. etc. that KITT had really fit onto a trans-am, and still leave room for a gas tank and steering column, engine, and exhuast system and all that?

Alot of times conversations about whether KITT could exist today turns into conversations about whether AI could exist today. That may be a subject of debate, but my opinion is that KITT, as a whole, is completety ficticious. He just has too many things that aren't explained.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:33 pm

I think that because they didn't bother to explain any of the technology, that just leaves the field wide open for it to be possible in the future.

We don't know exactly how MBS works, but super-strong, lightweight materials/coatings would be very useful and I'm sure someday we'll have the equivilent. Or at least the military will.

SPM is only a cosmetic obstacle; we already have 300mph+ cars.

KITT's scaner is definitely a television miracle, but there's no reason to think it's all one system. After all, the actual lights aren't doing the scannnig, they are more for feedback. They simply indicate "one of my systems is doing a scanning process."

I definitely don't think KITT (a super-gadget-equipped Trans Am) will ever be built. Mostly because I don't think there will ever be a practical need for it. But I still think it's OK to look at the individual technologies and see how far away we are from them.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:20 pm

We don't know exactly how MBS works, but super-strong, lightweight materials/coatings would be very useful and I'm sure someday we'll have the equivilent. Or at least the military will.
I believe it is these litle "cosmological constants" that give science the wiggle room they need to bring fantasy to reality. Since the show doesn't literally show the recipe for the MBS, it is up to science to make it viable by whatever means at its disposal.

Like warp drive. Star Trek never displayed the schematics for the warp drive assembly, so I never understood why science is so quick to bash the theory of warp drive propulsion. Gene only created a concept. Science has only to make that concept viable in the real world.

Since Gene never stated this is HOW warp drives works, it can't be proven wrong. Even though ST has filled alot of the gaps in the technology themselves, there are still plenty of little "cosmological constants" left out for scientists to discover and fill in creating a functional product.

Kitt's day will come, but I seem to think that he will come to life in the garage of some computer scientist working the project in his spare time instead of some fancy government lab.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

Knicks4973
Operative

Post by Knicks4973 » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:06 pm

I was thinking about this and I believe we can create a real-life KITT with today's technology. Understand he won't be anything close to KR KITT, but a car that can do special things, I believe, can be built.

For instance, I believe a car can have 3 driving modes: Auto cruise, Normal cruise and Pursuit. Auto cruise right now would be if u fall asleep at the wheel, the car would take over and find a safe place to park, which we have seen a car already do by itself. Normal cruise would be computer assisted driving. Speed limits would be programmed into the computer and when u drive on a certain highway, u can only go as fast as the speed limit for that road. The car would take a picture of the speed limit, interpret it and allow you to go only as fast as the speed limit. That'll cut down on speeding tickets. It would also take a picture of stop signs, do not enter signs, traffic lights, and will prevent you from going through them. Pursuit would be regular driving, no computer assistance at all.

The car would also have a wireless internet connection so you can find information, like maps of areas or directions. It'll have an onboard GPS system so you know where you are at all times.

As for the CPU, my car will talk. It will respond to commands. If you ask it, how long will it take to get to california from ny, it will search for an answer and tell it to u. It will tell you if your gas or other fluids are low. I will also have it save our conversations, so as time goes by, it will build up a database of appropriate responses, in effect making it smarter. It still wouldn't think on its own, but conversations could be had with it.

And finally, the MBS. I believe a mixture of steal, fiberglass, diamond and something strong could produce a nice thick skin.

Jared

Ghost-Unmade
Rookie

Post by Ghost-Unmade » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:05 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:
I believe it is these litle "cosmological constants" that give science the wiggle room they need to bring fantasy to reality. Since the show doesn't literally show the recipe for the MBS, it is up to science to make it viable by whatever means at its disposal.

Like warp drive. Star Trek never displayed the schematics for the warp drive assembly, so I never understood why science is so quick to bash the theory of warp drive propulsion. Gene only created a concept. Science has only to make that concept viable in the real world.

Since Gene never stated this is HOW warp drives works, it can't be proven wrong. Even though ST has filled alot of the gaps in the technology themselves, there are still plenty of little "cosmological constants" left out for scientists to discover and fill in creating a functional product.

Kitt's day will come, but I seem to think that he will come to life in the garage of some computer scientist working the project in his spare time instead of some fancy government lab.

Warp drive is essentially the process of creating a big enough gravitational field behind a ship (accomplished by the conversion of dilithium crystals to antimatter I believe) to expand the universe behind the ship, thereby contracting the universe in front of it and stretching the ship to a new point in the universe. Some scientists have "bashed" the idea because they do not believe that a graviton field, however large, can actually do that.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "cosmological contsants" but I'm pretty sure no self respecting scientist sits around trying to bring television shows to life. And anyway, just because something was never explained, doesn't mean its just a matter of time before the great hocus pocus of science makes it real. Niether "Science" nor "Techonlogy" has any voodoo power to alter the laws of nature. Some things in fiction aren't explained because there is no explanation.

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:31 pm

Ghost-Unmade wrote:ONe of the serious problems with the question of whether KITT is possible today, is whether KITT is possible period.

There was never any serious attempt to explain the technolgy behind such concepts as turbo boost, the MBS etc. And that front scanner is only one device. Could any one device ever do as much as that thing apparantly did?

And would all the gadgets, accessories, computer equipment, grappling hooks, etc. etc. that KITT had really fit onto a trans-am, and still leave room for a gas tank and steering column, engine, and exhuast system and all that?

Alot of times conversations about whether KITT could exist today turns into conversations about whether AI could exist today. That may be a subject of debate, but my opinion is that KITT, as a whole, is completety ficticious. He just has too many things that aren't explained.
Humm... KITT I'm sure will be one day possible weather in the near future or further down the road. Turbo boost I don't think would be terrible hard, SPM would be rather hard, the MBS and AI would take the cake! The AI maybe around in our life times, as KI said maybe 10 years for the backbone. As MBS :? I'm really not sure...

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:41 pm

Every once in a while, one or more brilliant minds come together to project an image of some ideal that is worth attempting to carry out in reality. It might be in literature, the movies, or even TV, but it happens all the same. KITT is, in my opinion, a goal well worth pursuing. To that end, I have purposed to myself to either build him some day, come as close as possible, or die trying.

Does the technology exist at the present? Some of it does. The rest of it has to either be discovered or invented. That's the wonder of it all. There's no telling what a truly creative mind can imagine, and most of what man can imagine, he can achieve.

DK
Last edited by Darknight on Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

KnightAvenger77
Rookie

Post by KnightAvenger77 » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:42 pm

Well, why cant the US Government make KITT? They haev made so many other "impossible" things. They have at least 2 crashed UFO's recovered from Kecksburg and Roswell, and have been able to successfully reproduce them. KITT would be pretty simple,

and about the MBS, we got bullet proof cars, which would be a " Not Bad" substitute

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:15 pm

Don't believe everything you see and read, the US government hsn't reproduced anything, and you will note a little bit later on in life that there is this thing called bureaucracy that keeps getting in the way.

Sorry, but the U.S. Government has to adhere to certain universal constants like laws of physics too. ;)

KI

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:47 am

Some scientists have "bashed" the idea because they do not believe that a graviton field, however large, can actually do that.
Only a singualrity at present understanding.
And anyway, just because something was never explained, doesn't mean its just a matter of time before the great hocus pocus of science makes it real. Niether "Science" nor "Techonlogy" has any voodoo power to alter the laws of nature. Some things in fiction aren't explained because there is no explanation.
The voodoo of today might very well be the science and technology of the (distant) future :)

Nexus
Recruit

Post by Nexus » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:35 am

Of all of KITT's technologies, I think I've been most fascinated by the MBS. Aside from being generally indestructable, imagine never having to worry about nicks, dents, and scratches again...I would save a ton in car insurance!

I wonder if anything close to this is possible today, disregarding conventional armoring (meaning panels in the doors, bullet-proof glass, etc.) Do any science buffs out there know anything about "molecular bonding" in the first place? I barely passed chemistry back in high school as it is... *shudders*

KnightGoddess
Recruit

Post by KnightGoddess » Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:28 am

this might be a little off topic but as far as a car like kitt being avalible to the public i doubt it but like many of you said maybe for the milatary I Did however hear of them putting out a car that test your alcohol level everytime you drive and if your intoxicated it won't start

KnightAvenger77
Rookie

Post by KnightAvenger77 » Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:47 am

well, i dont believe everything i see or hear. My government, as well as possibly the russians, have been lying since the 40's not just about UFO's and stuff like that. hey, every govenment has their little secrets
I Dont believe about 20% of the "facts" the government says. But with dictatorships, its kinds hard to believe any thing.

We may never know what the government is doing. Right now, as we speak they could be making something like KITT. We know all about Area 51, and even IF it doesnt have to do with UFO's, what else could be so important that there are signs saying " Turn away or be harmed" There could be something like KITT out there. And to get the money, who knws wheere half of our taxes go

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:33 pm

I can tell you right now, they ARE making something along the lines of KITT. It's not even a classified secret. But will it ever be KITT? No. There's no purpose.

And there honestly isn't any room for political discussions or conspiracy theories on a board dedicated to the fun of Knight Rider from people who probably only have an 'X-Files' idea of how the government works, and likes to call people fools before checking all the facts.

KI

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:27 pm

well, i dont believe everything i see or hear. My government, as well as possibly the russians, have been lying since the 40's not just about UFO's and stuff like that. hey, every govenment has their little secrets
I Dont believe about 20% of the "facts" the government says. But with dictatorships, its kinds hard to believe any thing.
Dude, I agree with KI on this. I was with the Army intel corps for 3 years. I in no way got to do all the cool stuff you think we do, whatever it is you seem to think we do. Wheter the "truth is out there" or not is a discussion meant for another day, or board for that matter.

This is about KR. KR is fun. MI turned my hair partially grey. MI wasn't fun.

MKnightRider82
Rookie

Post by MKnightRider82 » Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:43 pm

Well, all I've got to say about this is if KITT could exist, it would be even better. What he was like on the show would be considered hokey for today. Computer technology has improved so much since then.

The Real Michael Knight
Operative
Location: Championing the cause of the innocent, the helpess, the powerless

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:01 pm

KITT is not hokey for today's standards, I mean we still can't make a car like KITT right? So he's still ahead of technology. lol

MKnightRider82
Rookie

Post by MKnightRider82 » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:50 pm

What the car seemed like then, it would not today. The images on the screen would be much more graphical and have better effects.

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:59 am

The graphics and gadgets in the car are always on the upgrade, but I think KITTs personality was nothing hokey. Nothing can upgrade that... the idea that the computer had friendships and bonds with the people. That is a form of AI that has no room for upgrade.

Old Man Miles
Recruit

Post by Old Man Miles » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:56 pm

Personally I dont (and will never) trust the our (U.S.) gov. For this reason I think that a car like KITT could, and may, exist today. The U.S. gov. covered up Roswell, Keksberg, otherstuff i dont know about, and the Kenedy assasination. (There were 3 shooters. Oswald couldnt have fired 3 shots in 7 seconds with a WWII Italian BOLT ACTION sniper rifle. Not even trained U.S. snipers at the tim,e could do that. The autopsey on his bodey was faked and the when the plane landed in D.C. the body went one way (out the back 'quietly') and the casket went out the normal way in full view of the public! The shooter in front of Kenedy hit his head not Oswad. Oswald however did fire the 'magic bullet'.) Ok sry for all that but that just proves why I dont trust out Gov.