did kitt have keys too him?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

nivek
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by nivek » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:57 pm

good point there KI. about kitt pulling over for a cop I thank he would now I don't thank he would roll down his window though.

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:10 pm

i figured the keys started the actual car, the power button started the on-board computer systems, ie. KITT himself. as we saw in Soul Survivor, the car itself is just a shell for KITT, he himself is the actual on-board computer (that can take control of the car).

if you think about it, keys for a car create a spark when turned to start the engine, and i'm sure KITT could create the same spark if he had to, to start the car himself. maybe if we had ever seen the ignition switch close-up when KITT was doing that we might've seen it turn with no keys in it, who knows? or maybe KITT could create the desired spark without the need to do turn it.

i don't ever remember Michael pressing the Power button and the car engine starting, just the lights and computer systems coming online. i think he had to turn the key to start the car himself.

oh, and another episode (if we're listing them lol ;) ) where we see him use the keys is Blind Spot.
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:30 pm

plus we always see michael leaning forward as if to turn the key before kitt starts up.

i personally can't see michael leaning in to push a button, it'd be right there in front of him so the keys were defo used most, if not all the time when michael was present.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:08 pm

Yes knightendo but KITT was online all the time even when the car was off. I am sure you have seen this, KITT doesn't really turn off on the show only when he gets recked. :roll:

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:38 am

Benjamin Knight wrote:Yes knightendo but KITT was online all the time even when the car was off. I am sure you have seen this, KITT doesn't really turn off on the show only when he gets recked. :roll:
i know, because we don't see michael pressing the power button. we see KITT doing it quite a bit, when he's in police impound or something, maybe so no one can press his buttons (oo-er! ;) ) the keys are used to start the car though, you agree? :)
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:26 pm

Well... yes and no, KITT can start himself without the keys, and I am sure that MK can too, but you can use the keys to start KITTs engine aswell. KITT has driven himself out of a impound lot like in "Good Day At Whote Rock" lol (Thats kind'a a silly episode... :roll: I don't like it too much but it had it's moments!)

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:22 am

i'm not questioning you, since none of us know for sure, but what would be the point of having keys if he could start it another way...?

quite liked GDAWR, drags on a bit at the end, and the guest stars' acting could be a helluva lot better though! lol! (three stars outta five)

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:10 pm

I thought I explained why he would have keys if he could start it another way....

The keys could be for security reasons, if you don't have the keys, then you don't start the car. Leave the keys in the ignition, somebody else can start the car. The key doesn't necessarily have to be turned, it just sits in the ignition.

It would make sense that KITT would have a double security feature like that, after all, he is the world's most expensive car. And several times, they made reference to the keys being needed in tandem with the power button.

KI

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:31 am

knightimmortal wrote:I thought I explained why he would have keys if he could start it another way....

The keys could be for security reasons, if you don't have the keys, then you don't start the car. Leave the keys in the ignition, somebody else can start the car. The key doesn't necessarily have to be turned, it just sits in the ignition.

It would make sense that KITT would have a double security feature like that, after all, he is the world's most expensive car. And several times, they made reference to the keys being needed in tandem with the power button.

KI
i'm not doubting you laura, just seemed to me that the keys started the engine, the power button started the computer systems up beyond the "standby" state where none of the rest of the buttons could be used...

do you know which episodes make that specific reference...? my word i haven't watched a kr since i moved to belfast!! that's three months! lol!

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:19 pm

the only problem with that is, no one can get IN KITT. your most obviously car jacking tools are all useless; crow bar, diamond tipped drill bit... so i dont see why they would use the ket for security reasons. though i do agree that he had one, there were many times when (eps when someone threw a smoke bomb in mikes "army" bunker) michael runs out to KITT with no warning, jumps in and takes off. no time to turn the key...i think he paid someone in makeup to turn it on in advance for him

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:23 pm

The concept of the keys being shown at all. Yet KITT could start his own engine and they showed the power button illuminating, when he was driving himself, not the key turning.

I would go into the specific episodes, but seeing as paperwork for Knight Rider seems to take priority over actual watching, I can't tell you exactly which episodes where the startup sequence includes the key turning, but the fact that they don't show it when KITT drives himself when they show everything else when he starts himself, says that the key is more there for human security.

KI

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:01 pm

Anyone here think it was a little odd when Michael had to turn the ignition enough times for the engine to start and to keep calling kitt baby?

Michael:"C'mon baby,c'mon

Kitts engine:Vroom!!!!!!

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:13 pm

Anyone here think it was a little odd when Michael had to turn the ignition enough times for the engine to start and to keep calling kitt baby?

Michael:"C'mon baby,c'mon

Kitts engine:Vroom!!!!!!

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:04 pm

themarvelous3 wrote:the only problem with that is, no one can get IN KITT. your most obviously car jacking tools are all useless; crow bar, diamond tipped drill bit... so i dont see why they would use the ket for security reasons. though i do agree that he had one, there were many times when (eps when someone threw a smoke bomb in mikes "army" bunker) michael runs out to KITT with no warning, jumps in and takes off. no time to turn the key...i think he paid someone in makeup to turn it on in advance for him
Oh really? That wasn't exactly the case when Michael left the door wide open in the Pilot.

In addition, KITT is a computer, he can be hacked into (Soul Survivor) but if they actually took the keys out. (Michael bad) They would have an interesting time with anybody who got behind the wheel, wouldn't they?

KI

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:22 am

yep you can say that over again. 8) or should I say type it over again. :lol:

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:46 am

Wouldn't you think if KITT had control to start the engine by himself without the key that he can suppress the starter if someone stole the keys and got in? Some alarms now do that.

Also, did the cars back in '82 have steering-column lock? It would be hard for KITT to drive if all he could do start the engine but couldn't steer.
Last edited by KnightCrusader99 on Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:29 am

i like to think that in the pilot, KITT let them steal him to A: teach michael a lesson (they were at each others throats) and 2: so he could take them to jail. KITT can open and shut his own doors, and we saw many times when KITT had someone locked in and prevented them from driving.