What did you think of the way they killed Devon off in KR2K?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

What did you think of the way they killed Devon off in KR2K?

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:48 pm

(This was going on in the shoutbox, but my responses were most likely too long for it.)

I liked the way they gave him an exit in the line of duty. The man deserved to at least go out in the line of duty since he was deep down, truly a man of action. I don't quite think his soul would have been content with wasting away to death at home or any of the like.

What i didn't like about his death was the way in which they did it. I didn't like the fact that he never had a chance to fight back, that he was bopped over the head, and then injected to a relatively peaceful death. I truly believe that I would have been more content with him at least losing the fight, rather than there not being a fight at all.

Otherwise, Devon's death was a must, to be able to truly pass the torch on, and to face the inevitable. And the memories that he experienced were truly emotionally heartwrenching.

KI

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:06 pm

Yep Devon should have been able to fight for his death... I haven't seen the flim, I am looking for it though... :)

Supersonic Lorry
Recruit

Post by Supersonic Lorry » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:04 pm

You're right Laura, and I briefly touched upon this point over on your forum.

Any death of a heroic character is sad, in any show. As Laura pointed out though, he was just bopped over the head and given a lethal injection. No fight or attempt at defending himself. My least favourite deaths in movies are those similar to Devon's; for example, a quick explosion or a gunshot to the head. I always prefer the good guy to get a few shots in and put up a fight.

I guess it might have been better if there had been a final scene between him and Michael Knight. Perhaps Michael arriving just as Devon is dying and Devon slipping away in his arms and urging him to 'make a difference.'

Supersonic Lorry

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:41 pm

Yes, I agree with Knightimmortal!

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cougar
Rookie

Post by Cougar » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:03 pm

I was so angry I was yelling at the TV! :lol: :lol:

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:10 pm

I think I would be too! EVIL! :twisted: TV EVIL! :mad: lol lol lol :shifty:

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:34 am

Yup, the worst part of the movie. It was very cheap, and as I said too in the shoutbox, he deserved more than that. I wouldn't have minded the death in the line of duty, if it was a bit better done.

Perhaps Devon was helping on the case, and actually making a difference in that respect, saw the danger coming, and fought to the end. He deserved to die with respect. Instead it was robbed of that, and died alone, for a stupid reason, without any people that cared about him around him.

As a character we had grown to love, he deserved that. But obviously the writers didn't care much, they just wanted to get rid of the old baggage, much like they carelessly discarded KITT.

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:36 pm

:cry: thats right they canned KITT too! :evil:

Cougar
Rookie

Post by Cougar » Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:02 pm

Couldn't have said it better neps!

sofchance
Rookie

Post by sofchance » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:12 am

I agree with KI.

Though the movie had a linear script and Devon's death was an integral part of it, I would have liked to have seen a final goodbye between Michael and Devon - kinda like the scene where Wilton Knight told Michael that "one man can make a difference..." only with Devon saying it. Then he drifts off, and Michael lets go of his hand...and Bonnie and Michael cry in each other's arms.

Yes, Bonnie.

But then, that's not how the movie happened.

tkr9
Operative

Post by tkr9 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:58 pm

i kept thinking he might come back later, in fact it was the only reason I ever saw the end of KR2000. I'm still in shock just thinking about it, and I still burst unto tears.

He just shouldn't have been dun in. He should have passed on the Foundation to a family member and flown back to the UK to do a few secret missions for MI5 for the rest of his life. Hence I like to think he didn't actually die at all, and faked his death so he was free to go and do all sorts of heroic things.