did kitt have keys too him?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

nivek
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

did kitt have keys too him?

Post by nivek » Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:33 pm

I was just thinking did Michael Knight have keys to kitt?

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:13 am

Yup, he did. One of the favorite nit picks of the episode "Junk Yard Dog" is after KITT is pulled from the acid pit, and we see that nothing but the shell remains, the keys are still in the ignition.

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:30 am

lol x 8^45 000 cool but didn't KITT have finger print readers under the door handle and to get to the gas tank and he can see that it is MK anyway... But keys come in handy when the AI could be offline... :lol:

Katt
Operative

Post by Katt » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:23 am

Did they trade the keys for a push ignition, I remember in that episode where Michael's pretending of been suspended, he kept pressing a button to start Kitt up. :?

KittandChips
Volunteer

Post by KittandChips » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:42 am

I remember in the pilot, Kitt has a go at Michael over leaving the doors open and the keys in the ignition after he gets stolen.

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:32 am

In which episode did Michael pretend to be suspended?
:spmgo: :kittspin: :kittconv2:
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:42 am

Knight in disgrace? Something like that, where the police arrested MK and 'planted' drugs on him. The fact he was carrying illicit drugs got him fired from the foundation.

So then MK gets hired by some other guy, and MK steals KITT and later on shoots Devon.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:58 am

Also in Knight in the fast lane Michael gives the keys to the bad guy after he lost the race.

-KITTfan-

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:22 pm

Knight2000 wrote:Knight in disgrace? Something like that, where the police arrested MK and 'planted' drugs on him. The fact he was carrying illicit drugs got him fired from the foundation.

So then MK gets hired by some other guy, and MK steals KITT and later on shoots Devon.
:o Can't wait to see that one... Everything turns out okay right... What do Devon/Bonnie/KITT think! :shock: :cry:

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:00 pm

It's a cool episode
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Cougar
Rookie

Post by Cougar » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:09 pm

Michael starts KITT by pressing the "Power" button. So why did he need keys? :?

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:18 pm

well ok if he did have keys and micheal was not to leave thin the starter how would kitt start him self? Hot wire him self. :lol:

Knicks4973
Operative

Post by Knicks4973 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:34 pm

I don't think there is a clear cut answer to this question. We see many times Michael starting KITT by turning something in the ignition area. We also see him using the Power Button as well.

This is how I think KITT (and KARR work)? If there is a driver, then the ignition is used. That is how they were probably both programmed. They were designed to obey the driver, unless the driver was acting out of character or is unable to drive. Many times we see Michael telling KITT to go into Auto Cruise or back to Normal Cruise. In cases where KITT does this on his own, it is because Michael is injured or is in danger. All because he was programmed in this way.

When there is no driver, KITT and KARR use the Power button. Again, that is how they were designed

So, in a nutshell, if there is a driver, it's up to the driver how to start, via ignition or power button. When there is no driver, KITT and KARR use the power button.

Jared

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:07 pm

I'd like to see KITT hotwire himself ;-)
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:12 pm

that sounds good but I still think there is something missing because um to my know there is no way of have to was of stating ignition in one car now yes this is a tv but saying it is a tv show is the answer to all of the question about kitt. so from that point of view it is not possible to have a key ignition and push button ignition so in that case every time kitt has to start him self he would be hot wiring him self ether that michael just leaves the key in the ignition.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:14 pm

Very good explanation, Jared.

I've always thought of the ignition system as being like a two-way switch. The keys are the old fashioned way and the power button is the "modern" way.

KITT had zero control over the use of the keys. Upon turning, the engine came to life. KITT could not override that. (Though, he could certainly keep the car from going anywhere...or make it go anywhere, if the programming conditions were right.)

But, the power button was totally in KITT's control. It was also a back door/alternate route for the ignition system to work with. I've actually witnessed this idea in practice as a sort of security thing (Prop or warming up the engine? I don't know.) where a wireless remote started up the engine of a sports car that was parked next to me, one day. So, it's totally realistic for KITT to have two ignition starting methods.

Jerod

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:12 am

how about making that extra connection to the fact that KITT does in fact have the keys as a back-up security system. Those who have the keys, have the right to turn over his ignition and drive him. It's just a redundant security system. The vehicles themselves have the control of their own systems, via the power relay (or button if you want to go that route) but for the humans that get in, they need to have the key in the ignition, at the very least to go.

Sort of like a missile launch system. You've got the code, but you also have to have a human turn the key, as a redundant security system.

KI

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:37 am

So you mean that KITT wouldn't let MK drive without a key?? If he lost it?? Which could mean that if somebody got KITTs keys they could get in him, even turn him on?? They couldn't drive him because he would lock then out with auto-cruise. Hummm.... I interesting, I think KITT can still keep the doors locked even if someone tryed to open it with a key. You know best KI... Explain away... lol

Benjamin Knight
:spm:

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:26 am

The doors didn't open with a key, dear Benjamin, only the ignition started with it, and if you watch the episodes, particularly the pilot, you will see that in fact, if the keys are in the ignition, anybody can get in and take off. We never saw the keys pulled out except in Knights of the Fast Lane, and they were given to the other guy when Michael lost him.

Read the post again, I never said anything about opening the doors, just starting the engine. Watch the episodes, and you shall see that in fact if they have the keys in the ignition, and have the keys, that they can take him, and did.

KI

Ghost-Unmade
Rookie

Post by Ghost-Unmade » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:36 pm

Knicks4973 wrote: They were designed to obey the driver, unless the driver was acting out of character or is unable to drive.
Jared

LOL. sorry but that comment amused me; "out of charecter".

KITT: "All right can we get a cut? David that was the most deplorable acting I've ever seen. I'm taking over this episode."

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:00 pm

Oh sorry KI I haven't seen the pilot mainly becasue the station I watch KR on shows the episodes all over the map... one day its Good Day At White Rock, next day its No Big Thing :evil: I am missing so many good ones, I did email the station asking them for there KR show times but I am still waiting for a email back :roll: Glad you cleaned that up. I heard that you helped write a KR book! :o :shock: :D NICE! I see why your so KR smart now :shock: :lol: Guess your have to put up with us beginners lol lol Well I am learn more and more about the show as I watch each episode. Like I never knew KITT drove on the water once like a hydro boat, COOL I got that one on tape just the other day! :)

Benjamin Knight
:spm:

Katt
Operative

Post by Katt » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:26 pm

I just had a thought, maybe the keys are just for looks? I mean I'd like to see if Kitt ever got pulled over by a cop, I'd like to see Michael try and explain how he can have a running car/driving that car, with no keys in the ignition. :lol:

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:33 pm

lol I like to see if KITT when he was driving would pull over for a cop... lol maybe if he wasn't in a hurry. The cop would think he has go crazy! :roll: lol

Cougar
Rookie

Post by Cougar » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:46 pm

lol In the pilot Miachel and KITT did get pulled over. Michael was sleeping with his head leaning against the window and they were going through some sharp curves and the police had there sirens on, so when they pulled over KITT told Michael to pretend he was deaf and had a cramp in his neck. It was funny. :lol:

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:14 pm

Katt wrote:I just had a thought, maybe the keys are just for looks? I mean I'd like to see if Kitt ever got pulled over by a cop, I'd like to see Michael try and explain how he can have a running car/driving that car, with no keys in the ignition. :lol:
Uh, I think if anybody looked in the window of KITT, the keys in the ignition would be the last thing on their mind....

KI