Kitt jumping over the General Lee?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

djshag69
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Kitt jumping over the General Lee?

Post by djshag69 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:28 pm

Give Me Liberty... or Give Me Death, i was just watching that episode, the one where they raced for a alternative fuel, well i loved the part where kitt told michael the roads were getting narrow, and he jumped over the orange charger, which basically looked exactly like the general lee from dukes of hazzard, i mean kitt completely took off and totally jumped over the charger while it was moving, its the closest we going to ever get to see the general lee and kitt together. Was this meant to show that kitt was superior to the general lee, obviously we all know he is superior but is this the message they were trying to show from this episode?

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:36 pm

That, and also Knight Rider's resident jumper, Jack Gill also did the jumps for a number of years on Dukes of Hazzard, so it was undoubtedly a nod.

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:13 pm

I mean right before kitt did the jump, they started playing country music just like that on dukes of hazzard, and the there was 2 guys driving the orange charger, one blonde haired, one dark haired, just like in dukes of hazzard.

knightdogg
Rookie

Post by knightdogg » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:16 am

That jump had to be one of the funniest moments because it was a direct shot at Dukes of Hazzard.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:21 am

Does anyone have any information about any other shot at Dukes? Apparently there were, especially in posters.

"Knight Rider. A car that can do more than just jump puddles".

"Competition is no competition". Right next to an orange Dodge Charger!

Someone even mentioned the Dukes having a go at KR-
A remote-controlled black car (Pontiac?) was run off the road/cliff by the General Lee. I have never seen Dukes of Hazzard, but I have heard a lot about it.

Dukes.. were more adult in their rivalry. What does that mean?

Miked
Recruit

Post by Miked » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:42 pm

The Dukes did indeed run a black remote-controlled car off the road.

It was a 1970s police-car-type Mopar 4-door sedan.
Later, the bad guys turn the General Lee into a remote-controlled car to replace the car the Dukes totalled.

It wasn't the kind of direct swipe at KR, that KR was prone to doing to the Dukes. It was only a vague reference.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you haven't seen the Dukes, you're missing out! The Dukes of Hazzard was from 1979-1985 on CBS. It was the first TV/movie to do the kind of huge jumps that KR was known for.

The "Dukes" guys were the first to really perfect the art of jumping cars in Hollywood, going bigger every year.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:56 am

Actually, I don't expect Dukes of Hazzard to come on air in India, where I live. Knight Rider, Automan and Street Hawk were the only series of this type that come on air here here. At least the last two used to come. Though I would actually like to watch this series.

I think Knight Rider was popular, because David Hasselhoff also starred in Baywatch, which was VERY famous, for obvious reasons. That makes it surprising that Automan and Street Hawk actually made it here. Unfortunately, nobody knows of Airwolf or Blue Thunder, except someone I know who had taped Airwolf in Saudi Arabia some years ago. Nobody has heard of the A team either.

How many swipes have Knight Rider taken at Dukes on TV? That 'alternative fuel' car was one of them.

Ghost-Unmade
Rookie

Post by Ghost-Unmade » Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:09 am

Hmm. I never realized that there were that many swipes at Dukes in the show itself. Anyone got any other examples?

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:34 am

When i went to college in pa, a lot of people there said the general lee would destroy kitt in a race, obviously i never gave in to what they said. The two shows came out in 2 different time periods also i believe, because as far as i know dukes of hazard is a late 70's show, so i wonder if they did have conflict.

Miked
Recruit

Post by Miked » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:26 am

Actually, the "Dukes" was made from 1979 to 1985.

It just had a much older "vibe" to it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "Dukes" most popular years were 1980-82.
Their big success may have played a role in KR's creation.

ERTL sold a boatload of little orange toy cars from the "Dukes," something that Glen Larson was probably keen on repeating with KR. The toys of KR were on the shelves right away after the series started, whereas it had taken the "Dukes" a few years to do so.

And when the two actors who played the Duke Boys went on strike in 1982-83, it caused many viewers to switch to KR, which helped even more.

I'm a huge "Dukes" fan. (I'm rebuilding a "General Lee" replica as we speak.)
The "Dukes" was the forerunner of all the car-stunt shows of the 1980s.

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:29 am

djshag69 wrote:I mean right before kitt did the jump, they started playing country music just like that on dukes of hazzard, and the there was 2 guys driving the orange charger, one blonde haired, one dark haired, just like in dukes of hazzard.
rofl! i never ever thought of that!! i can't believe i never realised! lol! that turbo boost is superb too! you just don't expect it... well, you know he's going to turbo boost but you half-expect the camera to turn to a fixed view with a bush or something in the way of the ramp, but the fact that it's a moving camera and just the way it is directed so we never see the ramp but the camera keeps up with the cars is simply superb!!

who directed that episode? i forget, and they should get major props for that scene :D :D :D
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)