Is Knight Rider badly produced TV show?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Jake
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Is Knight Rider badly produced TV show?

Post by Jake » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:30 am

What do you think, my fellow Knight Rider fans, of the opinions of some people who think that Knight Rider is badly produced (meaning bad acting, badly written, bad special effects etc.) TV show? Everybody has right to think whatever thay want, but I don´t think that Knight Rider is particulary badly produced. Of course, there are shows that are better produced but I think that Knight Rider is well produced considering the technology used in TV production at the time, limited budget and the tight schedule. Thank you in advance for participating this thread.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:07 pm

I don't think anybody who grew up in the 80's thinks that KR was a badly produced show. Now that we are older, and with those who didn't grow up exactly in the 80's, they see it as that, but for the time, it was pretty in tune with the times. It was well produced for the time. Anybody who compares it to a modern show, is creating an unfair comparison.

KI

Jake
Recruit

Post by Jake » Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:31 pm

knightimmortal wrote:I don't think anybody who grew up in the 80's thinks that KR was a badly produced show. Now that we are older, and with those who didn't grow up exactly in the 80's, they see it as that, but for the time, it was pretty in tune with the times. It was well produced for the time. Anybody who compares it to a modern show, is creating an unfair comparison.

KI
You made your point (I´m quoting Devon), Knightimmortal! I didn´t think of that those who think that Knight Rider is badly produced are people who didn´t grow up in the 80´s. You might be right, Knightimmortal! You sure are right about that it is unfair to compare different TV-shows from different decade.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:00 pm

I think people that slander it these days just put it in the 'cheesy' bin along with everything else that ppl consider cheesy. The hairstyles, tv shows, 80's movies etc were all considered cheesy and I think ppl like to put it in that category of 'badly produced' show without even thinking about it hard.

To me, it's still ahead of it's time, well the concept is. That's the main reason why it took off. Because of the car, it was the star, what the car could do was ahead of it's time. The editing was about standard for any 80's show, the music was awesome, especially the theme tune, even people say that today.

Character development was also standard, I could go on and on about the technical aspects.

But to sum it up, I hear people laugh or just plain say it was a bad show but never give a reason why. But I gave my opinion on why in my first paragraph.

To the fan, it was a good show, the best and most memorable. To the general public who consider everything cheesy about the 80's, I guess they'd say it is memorable but at the same time badly produced, cheesy stuff.

But ya know, sometimes that is a good thing.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:18 pm

What do you think, my fellow Knight Rider fans, of the opinions of some people who think that Knight Rider is badly produced (meaning bad acting, badly written, bad special effects etc.) TV show? Everybody has right to think whatever thay want, but I don´t think that Knight Rider is particulary badly produced. Of course, there are shows that are better produced but I think that Knight Rider is well produced considering the technology used in TV production at the time, limited budget and the tight schedule. Thank you in advance for participating this thread.

ok first off no I don't think it is a badly produced show of cause I not one of those people that stop seeing a show if it has bad acting in it either but like KI said any one how grow up in the 80s will not think it is a bad tv show. me I think there is better acting in that show acting in it thin some movie that are in the movie theater right now. what I think it really just depones on your taste.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:18 pm

It wasn't a poorly produced show, but even compared with other shows from the 80s I wouldn't say it was great either (from a production standpoint). Shows like Miami Vice and Magnum had better production values, not to mention all the high-profile dramas and comedy/dramas of the time (L.A. Law, Moonlighting.)

The early episodes had a bit of a cheap feel to them at times, but once the show became a hit you can tell that the production got more polished.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

sofchance
Rookie

Post by sofchance » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:41 am

Well from a production standpoint it was top-notch for the time period it was in. I mean, I just watched the movie "Total Recall" a few weeks ago for the first time and while it had a few cheesey effects, for the most part it blew me away! I mean, I have seen movies like The Matrix Reloaded and Underworld and I was still amazed by some of the little things in TR. And it was made what, about 15 years ago?

For a better comparison to KR, watch an episode of VIPER. Even though that show was made a decade later, imo it actually had some cheaper-looking effects than KR. For instance, when the Viper transformed into the Defender, it was obviously cheap cgi, yet it worked for the show. KITT's spm transformation is often referred to as "cheap looking" yet it worked for the show (and the creators DID have to keep using the same shots over and over to stay within the budget of each episode).

If KR was made today it would probably have crazy cgi and flat-screen displays. It might look better, but would it have the same impact, or feel, of the original show? Does Star Trek: Enterprise have the same messages of classic Star Trek? I don't think so...that doesn't necessarily make it bad. Just different.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:54 am

sofchance wrote:Well from a production standpoint it was top-notch for the time period it was in.
I'm afraid I can't agree with that. "Production values" are a lot more than just special effects. They involve everything about the show: the lighting, the editing, the sound... everything. Look at some of the early episodes and notice how badly KITT's voice modulator is out of sync with the audio. That wouldn't happen in a "top notch" show. And if you want to consider special effects, there were some pretty bad model shots in Knight Rider which looked cheesey when they were brand new.

I don't think you appreciate how impressive Viper's CGI was when it first came out. It was sort of a breakthrough for series television. Even the dreaded "Manimal" had AMAZING transformation sequences for its time, but from a PRODUCTION standpoint I don't think there was anything groundbreaking about Knight Rider. It evolved into a good, solid show that did what it needed to do.

Mike

Dome
Rookie

Post by Dome » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:59 am

hm, well if you would compare it with the effects of today (egsample Star Trek Nemesis) etc, then you can speak off bad effects, but for a 80s TV show I think the effects are not sooo bad, ok, sometimes the ramps and such thinks are to easy to see on the screen, but *?$# happens.

If bad or not, I love it!

Miked
Recruit

Post by Miked » Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:43 am

People are quick to forget that it was TV. It was not a film. TV at the time was much cheaper than our modern TV, and light-years behind modern film.

It's like trying to argue that the 1960s "Star Trek" shows were crappy compared to the 1970s "Star Wars" movies.
They were separated by ten years & several million dollars an hour.

knightdogg
Rookie

Post by knightdogg » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:26 am

If you want to talk about a badly produced show look at Team Knight Rider.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:47 pm

knightdogg wrote:If you want to talk about a badly produced show look at Team Knight Rider.
The strange thing is that I think TKR was a very well-produced show. The stunt choreopgraphy was really pretty amazing for TV, and they often compensated for low budgets with some really good editing work to bring up some of the action.

People might not have liked the characters or the storylines of TKR, but from a technical standpoint I personally thought it was well done.

Mike

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:50 pm

I've never agreed with CGI too much.

I think it looks fake, more so than super-imposition and stop motion animation.

They end up turning films and tv shows into looking like computer games, these days.

I can give you a lot of films that stand out as looking fake and only a couple that look ok.

Believe it or not, even though T2 was one of the first to use CGI, I think it was the best to use the effect as it didn't look as fake as later produced films that used CGI, did.

So I thank my lucky stars that KR was made in an era without CGI cos i don't think i would have enjoyed it as much with over-enhanced looking effects everywhere.

I prefer stunts made by hand and that's the way it should still be, but, oh well.

It even gets to the point where I've stopped calling cinema, film.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sofchance
Rookie

Post by sofchance » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:36 pm

I agree with Skav. I much prefer the filming of the Enterprise-D to the NX-01. CGI should only be used to enhance effects, not necessarily replace them.

And I do think KR was well produced. Okay, sure KITT used crap stick figures in the early eps to indicate people, but remember that this was a tv show just getting it's legs (in 1982). By the third season you could see the quality shoot up exponentially (ie using cool wireframe displays and such).

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:43 pm

It was great if it hadn't been for Devon's rediculously huge sunglasses

Hahahaha, I'm just kidding, yeah, I know that's what they were in the 80s. Its a great show, but I must say, I was only alive for that last two years of the 80s and not aware of my surrounds, and I can't say that that disappoints me.

Much of them music left somethign to be desired...those hairstyles...and, let's face it, the cars were pretty crappy. The Trans Am was the best looking of teh whole bunch and (for the most part) fell apart after 50,000 miles, if you're lucky. And it wasn't only the Trans Am.

...I don't mean to insult any 80s freaks, and I guess I open myself up to a lot of flaming after saying that right after saying i was only alive for the last 2 years. But...if nothing else I said was true...the cars were not very well made...at all...
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:16 pm

Hmm, I don't think I would mind half of what you were saying, if you honestly knew what the heck you were talking about. I think you had better stick to the general commentary about the show, and read up on the reality of most everything else you just shot out there, before you end up really ticking some of us off.

And here is a little lesson: The music was cool, without it, you wouldn't have ANY music from today, of which the majority of your present music of today, no matter what genre you listen to, originated from.

There are more cars in existance on the roads from the 80's, than even the 70's, and in some cases, the 90's. For instance, there is a higher ratio of Jeep Grand Wagoneers, and Trans-Ams, Camaros, Broncos, original Blazers, and as a rule Fords, Chevys, and other Jeeps from the 80's still going, and with less maintenance required as our more modern 90's and 00's model vehicles.

I hate to burst your young little bubble, but I have seen more 1990 and up model Trans-Ams, Mustangs, and the sort broken down after 20,000 miles, than I have seen of the 80's models, who after all you just stated, have actually made it to 50,000 miles, after being driven hard, and heavy. Today's models aren't even close to that concept.

As for the hairstyles, yeah, they were a pain in the rear, but to be honest, today's non-washed grundge fur fest ain't no shiny example either.

So, if you aren't out to insult any 80's freaks, then I think you need to research your facts before you open up your opinion on something that obviously is an opinion formed out of a lack of facts, and mostly out of what you want to think.

KI

Sephyr
Stranger

Actually....

Post by Sephyr » Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:50 am

Hey about some of the first posts saying that the new crowd today might think it's bad series , well I'm 14 and I appreciate Knight Rider for how it is and I would seriously like to see the game, the new show, and I just found a video where you can get a car custom made with it's own voice and steering wheel and front lights and everything exactly like K.I.T.T. from DiamondBack Automotive or something but it was old so it's likely they may be out of business.

Supersonic Lorry
Recruit

Post by Supersonic Lorry » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:44 am

knightimmortal wrote:I don't think anybody who grew up in the 80's thinks that KR was a badly produced show. Now that we are older, and with those who didn't grow up exactly in the 80's, they see it as that, but for the time, it was pretty in tune with the times. It was well produced for the time. Anybody who compares it to a modern show, is creating an unfair comparison.

KI
Well said!

In talks with my friends and family, I have oftten said that you CANNOT compare shows from different eras. Many shows reflect the era in which they were made. Comparing two different shows from two different eras is liek comparing fighter jets from 2003 to fighter planes from World War 2. It's unethical.

Like I said, most shows reflect society and world events. For example, the 50's/60's featured many sci-fi shows as man raced to get a rocket to the moon and get man into space. The 60's also featured movies and TV shows with Cold War references. Look at the James Bond films from the 60's, as Bond defended the world from communism and battled bad guys from Russia.

Then we had the 80's-the era of the clean-cut hero. The altrustic hero who put his life on the line for no reward and helped the little guy. The 80's was a very optimistic time for some people, as the Cold War wsa dying out, the U.S. and the Soviets were reaching new understandings and people in the Western world were buying houses, setting up businesses and trying to make the world a better place. Shows such as KR and Airwolf reflected this.

Then, in the late 90's and early 21st century, we see the era of the anti-hero. Look at shows like The X-Files, 24 and Alias. No clean-cut heroes, plenty of people with their own agendas though. These shows are just reflecting a society where people such as politicians and businessmen are revealing themselves to be dishonest individuals and capitalism is being increasingly seen as evil.

My point is, different shows, different eras. It is not right to compare. It's like comparing chalk to cheese-two different things entirely.

Supersonic Lorry

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:02 pm

As for the hairstyles, yeah, they were a pain in the rear, but to be honest, today's non-washed grundge fur fest ain't no shiny example either.
Yeah, your one in the long list of people that slam the goth/grunge types, huh? Don't talk about it unless you know anything about it at all. Cos you quite clearly don't. I guess we should ALL go around with the trendy french crop styles, then it'd be normal and balanced. Pff! And if you were referring to the 80's, that still doesn't matter cos people with the mohawks do it today. there is nothing wrong with standing out a bit more!

Skav

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:59 pm

Hey Skav, how about you remember who the heck you are talking to before you make those claims.

It's quite obvious that you are going around just wanting to pick a fight, but hey, that seems to be your thing, right?

1) I didn't say they sucked. I said that the 80's hairstyles were a pain in the butt, and todays unwashed look wasn't a shiny example. I didn't say a damn thing about anybody's lifestyle, or it being a bad thing. I just was saying that there isn't much of a difference, and that today isn't any worse/better than the 80's when it comes to hairstyles. Not that

2) I am goth, or do you conveniently forget that just to pick a damn fight, eh?

3) If there is one thing I dislike more than people slamming down the 80's without knowing what they are talking about, it is goth/grunge who think that the whole world is slamming them down and are looking for any excuse to slam others, without even remembering who they are talking to. I honestly do know what I am talking about, do you, Skav? Guess what, while the rest of the world may be out to get you, I am NOT! And I sure as heck don't appreciate you sticking your head in to accuse me of something, when in fact, I didn't do the crime, and in fact, you conveniently forget what I am just to show the whole world that I am a bad guy, eh?

Yeah, you're right, there is nothing wrong about sticking out a bit more. Did I say anything against that? No. So get off my case and find some other cause to crusade against, one that is legitimate, and kindly don't go looking through my or anybody else's messages looking for an argument to be created, it doesn't help anybody's cause.

KI

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:53 pm

1. who do you think you actually are then to ask me who i am talking to?

2. no, i didn't know you were "goth" but does that make a difference?

3. don't make it out to be as if i think the whole world is against me. being as i said that you are in a long list of people who say that the grunge/goth hairstyle isn't a "shiny" example doesn't call for the whole world to think that way. contrary to what you think, i have fooled you on that point.

4. i'm not looking for an argument with you, contrary, again, to what you may believe. also, don't tell me not to look through messages to pick a point where there is an opportunity to "create" fights. that's not my intention. i didnt like what you said, that doesn't or won't necessarily create a fight if people know better. in fact, you should take your own advice.

Skav

dragonball1957
Operative

Post by dragonball1957 » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:36 pm

but at least one thing we hae to laugh about now was how they show was sped up to make it look like kitt was fast . :lol:

but still i dont see anyother way of doing it anyway .

if kitt really moved that fast in real life it still would of looked the same anyway . just no fast moving envirioments . hehe .

but the show was highly tricked out in its time . im suprised that show even existed at the early 80's . even the theme song dont sound like the 80's . it sounds like it could be played at anytime and is still good to this day . hell they even got rap/techno mixes too .

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:28 pm

Well...I guess I should have seen that coming....However...
knightimmortal wrote:And here is a little lesson: The music was cool, without it, you wouldn't have ANY music from today, of which the majority of your present music of today, no matter what genre you listen to, originated from.

KI
I don't like today's music either. So, if it did originate from the 80s, maybe that's why.
When it comes to music, I'm more into 60s and 70s. Led Zeppelin, Queen, Beatles...
But I didn't say all the 80s music was bad, I like people like Peter Gabriel, The Police...

And about the cars, yeah...there are a fair amount on the roads, but with experience with my friends 80s vehicles, there haven't been good experiences.

dragonball1957
Operative

Post by dragonball1957 » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:43 pm

damn dude thats awsome . im close to ur age . 17 going on 18

birthday is nov 5 . "matrix revolutions" thats right i im the real neo!!!!

but anyway yea . i dont really listen to music from my generation .

like the rap , and rock . eww

i like the 70's and 80's also . like Tavares heaven must be missing an angel , teddy pendagrass , earth wind and fire , archie bell and the drells , donnie warick , and so on . its nice to know that im not the only teen who listen to stuff from previous generations . :P

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:33 pm

hahahaha, Likewise, dragonball