Knight Rider Movie

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Roldahs_Ferrin
Stranger
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Roldahs_Ferrin » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:45 am

Sorry Its been afew day but Im back Mwhahahaha you can get rid of me That easily but anywho.
Here is a trivia Wuestion for you great fanfic ^_^
Two Traction upgrade were developed by Bonnie For Kitt What were they called ^_^

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:14 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:
Stargazer wrote:He asked if I knew how the T/A came to be the vehicle choice for the show and he was just as suprised that I knew that it had to do with a train derailment full of T/As...[/b]
Which came first, the decision to use a Trans Am or the train derailment?

I believe they already decided to make KITT a Trans Am and then later on Universal was able to take advantage of a derailment that ruined a bunch of Trans Ams from Pontiac.

Accident? Or Sabotage? :?

Mike
Train derailment was kind of the final decission maker... T/A was an consideration along with a several other vehicles. I have yet to find out what the other vehicles were during the consideration process. I'm sure someone here knows what they were.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:21 pm

Stargazer wrote:Train derailment was kind of the final decission maker... T/A was an consideration along with a several other vehicles.
I still don't think that's true... If you can give a source that specifically mentions the train derailment as a deciding factor then we can figure out how it fits in with other information we have. But everything I have seen points to the idea of the Trans Am being chosen very early in the development phase of the show, based entirely on its styling.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:14 pm

According to Larson in the Knight Rider Legacy, the T/A was always the car for KITT, he had no other car in mind. The train derailment was an interesting twist of fate, and quite fortunate, but the T/A was what the creator of the show wanted.

KI

ramon88us
FLAG Recruit

Post by ramon88us » Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:49 pm

lol

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:44 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:
Stargazer wrote:Train derailment was kind of the final decission maker... T/A was an consideration along with a several other vehicles.
I still don't think that's true... If you can give a source that specifically mentions the train derailment as a deciding factor then we can figure out how it fits in with other information we have. But everything I have seen points to the idea of the Trans Am being chosen very early in the development phase of the show, based entirely on its styling.

Mike
I would need proof that they had already chosen the T/A before the derailment... The article was in Starlog or one of those kind of magazines that the T/A was chosen after a mishap that lead to the final desion for the car to be used in KR.... I'm not going to go around buying old magazines to prove a point that you may or may not believe in the first place.

Meow
Volunteer

Post by Meow » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:23 pm

He would also look cool as a viper

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:36 pm

*Meow* wrote:He would also look cool as a viper
Note a bad idea, but that puts it too close to the TV show "Viper".. well, to a degree I think.

Maybe they will take a car and make something out of it like they did with that Dodge Stealth in KR 2000.

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:00 am

sorry kitt but I can not hold it in

I think kitt would look good in a VW beetle not the new ones. :lol:

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:03 am

nivek wrote:sorry kitt but I can not hold it in

I think kitt would look good in a VW beetle not the new ones. :lol:
I just had an image of a VW in SPM...

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:37 am

Stargazer wrote:I would need proof that they had already chosen the T/A before the derailment... The article was in Starlog or one of those kind of magazines that the T/A was chosen after a mishap that lead to the final desion for the car to be used in KR.... I'm not going to go around buying old magazines to prove a point that you may or may not believe in the first place.
Fortunately we do have people on the board who can go back and get the actual info- people like me, for example.

February 1984 issue of Starlog:
"Buying and then destroying expensive items, such as cars, places a strain on even studio budgets. Luckily, Knight Rider was able to take advantage of Pontiac's unfortunate experience when a trainload of new Trans Ams derailed, damaging most of the cars. Universal now employs those vehicles as stunt cars, using special body sections molded to transform them into KITT's".

Note that is says absolutely nothing about the accident having anything to do with choosing the Trans Am.

From "Hollywood TV and Movie Cars" by William Krause:

"He said he was working with Glen Larson (The Fall Guy) on a new action-adventure show that starred a computerized talking car. A Datsun Z car was written into the original script, but Hanker wanted to know if GM had anything hotter coming out that would work in this role. Of course: the all-new Trans Am! Pontiac's general manager, Bill Hoglund, had told me at a meeting just days before that he would like to see his brand new baby in a James Bond kind of movie or TV show.

....with the help of UAW, the GM Van Nuys assembly plant, and a lot of good people at Pontiac who wanted to see this happen, the first four black Trans Ams that rolled off the line were driven to a waiting car carrier that whisked them off to the Larson Production set where the crews were literally poised to start shooting."

That article clearly shows that the decision to go with the Trans Am was made without any regard to a train derailment.

So, based on these objective facts, I maintain my original position that you are mistaken.

QED.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:00 pm

My most pressing question about the first KR show that was aired (forget the name of that episodes) is that M. Long (before becoming Knight) was seen driving a black T/A... can't remember if it had a two tone gold line bottom or not... but was that suppose to fit into the show as how the T/A was used for KITTs body or what was the deal with that particular car? Was that car supposed to have been used for KITTs body after being modified ?

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:18 pm

it was his car that they trans formed into kitt

the name of the show was Knight of the Pheonix

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:26 pm

Ok, let's answer this one again as much as we can.

It has never been totally proven that KITT was made out of Michael Long's car. While Larson intended it on the side, the final script points in a vague direction.

Logic says that it's not really that possible, specifically in the KR Universe, because of the existance of KARR.

KI

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:29 pm

ok so karr was michael knight's car.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:31 pm

No, Nivek, KARR wasn't Michael Knight's Car, since KARR existed before Michael Knight did, and while Michael Long was still driving his car.

KI

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:37 pm

ok that is true did not think about that. now that leaves the question where is michael old car? which I is not answered in the show as you said KI

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:39 pm

Probably towed to Knight Industries car area, where they use it for parts. ;)

KI

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:59 pm

knightimmortal wrote:Ok, let's answer this one again as much as we can.

It has never been totally proven that KITT was made out of Michael Long's car. While Larson intended it on the side, the final script points in a vague direction.

Logic says that it's not really that possible, specifically in the KR Universe, because of the existance of KARR.

KI
The KARR issue is what I was going to ask next if KITT was put into MLs T/A.....

I missed this thread before :(

I do recall something about MK looking at the paint job of KITT when he was first introduced to KITT (even though KITT didn't talk to MK until after a while he was driving it and I think it was after he was pulled over for sleeping at the wheel and KITT had assumed control and the police officer did not understand what was going on).

I think some shows, when first aired, are a bit dry, however that was one interesting beginning of KR I think.

Miked
Recruit

Post by Miked » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:32 pm

There was no indication that Michael's T/A was "used" to make KITT.

KITT must have been a long project, and it didn't seem to utilize assembly-line parts, etc.

Michael's T/A was undoubtedly just product-placement.

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:48 pm

well there was one but it is so big that you can say for shore if it is kitt are not it is when michael first see kitt and he says this is my car.

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:02 pm

wrong, in the first episode you hear michael saying, "now whats this with my car", and when he commented on his new paint job, and how it feels like baby skin. . So you know right then, that is was his car they re did. with no time frames in mind we arn't sure how long mihceal was actully there for, so we can't judge that they didn't use michael longs car.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:31 pm

*sigh* I am starting to feel an overwhelming sense of deja vu here....

It seems that you have forgotten Devon's part of the conversation, he was actually there.

This is from the script: (once again, thanks to the Knight Rider Archive)

MICHAEL
But I'm legally dead, remember? I
don't even know me with this face.
Now what is all this I'm supposed to
know about my own car.

DEVON
Any resemblance between your car and
this one is purely superficial.

Michael walks closer to the machine.

MICHAEL
What're you talking about. That's
my Trans Am. I left it out in
the desert.

DEVON
No, it may look like your car, but
in actuality, that vehicle is now
probably the most expensive car in
the world.

The wording for the most part made it into the episode.
For those who do not know what superficial means:
superficial:
1.Of, affecting, or being on or near the surface: a superficial wound.
2. Concerned with or comprehending only what is apparent or obvious; shallow.
3. Apparent rather than actual or substantial: a superficial resemblance.
4. Trivial; insignificant: made only a few superficial changes in the manuscript

So from there, take an educated guess as to whether it is Michael Knight's car, and in the KR Universe, also take into fact that KARR existed BEFORE Michael Knight, and you can't just make these cars overnight, contrary to popular belief.

KI

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:44 pm

honestly i never said anything about over night.

First off where does it say how long michael was actullyat the flag estate for, healing from his surgery and getting back to his old self. Mind you that michael driving the same model that karr is is ironic. but don't you find it a little hard to beleive they didn't use michael longs car, and kitt just happened to be the same exact car? from your logic i see whats your saying, im not saying your wrong either. But isn't there a chance that kitt is michael longs car?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:58 pm

3 months.

That is the magical time frame that appears in the script between Michael being shot, and returning as Michael Long. Four months max. That's the time it took for Tanya to go from a fill-in girl to Executive Assistant at Comtron. It is also the time they specify in the episode that 'up to three months ago, Michael Knight didn't exist."

Now, in three months, you could probably transplant an already existing set of technology into a car. (JYD was a miracle, and Knight of the Juggernaut was just a repair job) But KITT wasn't already existing. They started from the ground up, and went in the other direction from the already existing KARR, who was by this time, sitting in a warehouse.

Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to think that Wilton had taken a fancy to that particular car while watching Michael Long (which he seemingly did) and he set out to building the car to fit that model? That makes a whole lot more sense than reducing KITT down to a lego model, which is what he would have to be to put him in Michael Long's car. It would have taken more than three months just to hone down all the parts to fit within that particular car. Imagine if Wilton had designed it to fit in a Corvette, and suddenly they toss a Trans-Am at him.

KI