Thoughts on a KR movie....

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

EdwardKnoxII
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:28 pm

I reckon a big budget KR movie would be a cash cow for the studio to make it. It can't be far off esp. seeing that the hulk has been done and the was not NEARLY as good a series as KR.
Correction. The Hulk movie WASN'T a remake of the TV show it was a big screen movie based on the source material which is the comic book by Marvel Comics.

tkr9
Operative

Post by tkr9 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:57 pm

Wasn't KR something like that before it became a show though? But people do get very tetchy about having their fave series made into movies.

Could William Daniels still do the voice? He must be getting on a bit by now.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:09 pm

No, KR was always a series, never a comic book, it just came out as a series, the brain child of Glen Larson.

William Daniels was well enough to be president of the Screen Actor's Guild a few years back. He is well enough to still act in TV Movies, I don't think age has anything to do with his ability to still sit in a booth, and record lines....

KI

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:14 pm

very good point with that age thing.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:33 pm

Also, to update you guys on something I've learned about DV. I decided to test out my new JVC MiniDV camera on a car driving by. And you know what? It didn't do the jittery stuff that the professional DV cameras do when it comes to rapid motion (like it did in "28 Days Later"). So, not all DV cameras do that, which brings me back to thinking that DV could be used for a KR film.

However, I have also had another thought about a KR movie. Instead of it being independant, it should be on a low budget. The other night, I was watching a documentary about the making of the "Alien" films. Surprising enough to me, the first one was made with an $8 Million Dollar budget. Now, we all know how "Alien" looked. And it has done good (and still does good) as a feature, even with as low a budget (though nowadays, the amount of $8 Million differs now from what it was back in the 1970s). If a "Knight Rider" movie was done on a low budget as "Alien" was, it would ensure not only good action, but ensures that there is a good solid story to back it up. Sure, I know you guys think that "Knight Rider" should have massive explosions and a lot of car crashes and stuff like that. But I think that such unnecessary and excessive stuff should not be used. I mean, sure, two car crashes and three explosions are okay for a "Knight Rider" film. However, over 200 car crashes and 500 explosions isn't a "Knight Rider" film, it's another action film with a minimal plot and very little character development (which is probably filmed and cut out of the film during editing and have all the action sequences in their place for the purpose of eye candy because they feel that the audience doesn't really care to think).

Also, I'm worried about what would happen if the production got a director who had no idea what they were doing. I mean, I think that the director should be someone who knows what they are doing if they had the film, someone who is actually willing to do the research and watch all the episodes and all that. I don't want to see this film end up by a director who is only thinking about money. I mean, I would be for the Wachowski Brothers being the directors of a "Knight Rider" film. However, "The Matrix Reloaded" has had me questioning their directing and writing skills. I mean, "Bound" and "The Matrix" were good films because you got it on the first time watching it. But I had to watch "The Matrix Reloaded" twice in order to get an idea on weither it was good or not. I think David Fincher could do a good action film if he were given the chance (and I don't think we should hold him responsible for the failure of "Alien 3", seeing that what killed the film was that so many people, including the producers and the studio, wanted the film to go several different ways, which affected what he had in mind for it), him using the various techiques he's perfected throughout his films, like the stuff we saw in "Fight Club" for example. I just hope its not some director who THINKS that "Knight Rider" should be a certain way (which would most likely be just an action film), not the way the original was (which was a story about a man trying to make a difference and an incredible car that could help him).

Of course, these are just thoughts, I could be wrong about all of them.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:57 pm

The "28 Days" effect isn't caused simply by DV; it comes from using a high speed shutter on the camera which causes the action to strobe a bit. In normal video or film, every frame has a bit of blurriness to it that carries the motion. With a high-speed shutter, every frame becomes much crisper and that creates the effect.

And I'm afraid I still can't get on-board with the idea of a low-budget KR. It all goes back to the expectations: Alien, 28 Days and Blair Witch could be made on low budgets because there were no expectations for those movies. But like it or not, I believe the general audience will expect, want, and DEMAND huge action sequences in a Knight Rider movie. I think anything else wouldn't be true to the spirit of the original show. I understand that you see Knight Rider as a story about a man, but as for me I definitely see it primarily as a action show about a car.

And you can just as easily have a bad script on a cheap movie as you can on a blockbuster.

Mike

p.s. Stick to your guns. The idea of a independent KR film is definitely intriguing.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Miked
Recruit

Post by Miked » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:40 pm

Any new Knight Rider film (that isn't set back in the 1980s) will have to wrestle with the issue of what car to use for KITT.

I love the old KITT as much as anybody.
However, a 1980s F-body no longer holds the same place in society that it did in 1982. It just would not be seen as hi-tech & futuristic by most of the all-important younger audience.

I hope they would put together a new car with the same theme; A glossy black car, with some body mods, a tricked-out dash, and a red front scanner light.
They should again make it out of some production unibody. (If they didn't, they would probably go and design some goofy custom car that is too unusual-looking to go anywhere incognito.)
For at least some decent connection with the old series, Anthony Daniels should do the voice again.

I think striking the old car's original vibe is more important than exactly copying the original prop cars.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:44 pm

Miked wrote:For at least some decent connection with the old series, Anthony Daniels should do the voice again.
Um, William Daniels. :)

KI

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:28 am

:lol:

yeah Anthony Daniels is C-3P0 in Star Wars.

but I used to get them confused all the time myself.

:lol:
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:56 pm

i hated C-3PO.

tkr9
Operative

Post by tkr9 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:22 pm

R2DT was cuuute though.

Poor Mr Daniels (William, not Anthony). On my videos he doesn't get credited at all.

As for the car I say again Aston Martin (This girl's obsession knows no bounds). Here's a pic to the luscious DBAR1. You could just picture it with it's cute little red scanner and limitless database of quips.
http://www.astonmartin.com/media_galler ... c1_800.jpg[/img]

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:10 pm

William Daniels actually requested to not be credited, mostly because his agent thought it was a bad move to be doing a kid's show, as well as not really wanting to take credit for voice over work, like many voice over artists of the time did.

KI

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:21 pm

"Knight Rider" a kid show? That's actually funny.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:25 pm

Get used to it, that is what it was qualified mostly as and targeted at back in the 80's.

KI

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:34 pm

you could of fooled me I would never of thought of it as a 6 year olds type of show I can under staned it for a teen are even 10 and up but any thing below that wow :shock:

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:49 pm

it was aimed at 10 to 12 year olds kids I think?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:24 am

I believe I said 'kid's show' not 'children's show', Nivek. There is a huge difference.

A kid's show is something that people of all ages, and in particular older children can enjoy.

A children's show is Sesame Street.

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:14 am

CB2001 wrote:"Knight Rider" a kid show? That's actually funny.
My favorite panel from the old Bloom County comic strip:

Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:16 am

lol, Michael!!

Kirin
Recruit

Post by Kirin » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:44 pm

Knight Rider was a youth oriented show.

That sounds better then saying it was a "children's show" or "kiddie show".

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:54 pm

Unfortunately 'youth oriented' is the same kind of thing that 'Power Rangers' and 'Electric Company' is associated with.

Would the term 'family show' make you all feel a little better?

And before you all start getting out the torches and the stake, you might want to remember that it was William Daniels and his agent that made that comment. Not me.

Now, the later versions of such, from Daniels is that he wanted to give the car a personality of its own, so he didn't take credit.

Is that a little better and less volitile to your sensibilities?

(By the way, Mike, awesome comic strip, very appropriate to the general consensus of the non fans to the fans.)

KI

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:44 am

Okay guys, I know that you still dispise the idea of DV being used, but I have to repeat myself: I still backup the DV format.

As stated previously, people are worried about digital artifacts that seem to leave a flicker of an image from a previous frame. The only time such a thing could happen is if it is intended on doing so. How do I know? The answer came on the "28 Days Later" DVD. On the "Making Of..." Featurette, Danny Boyle explained that in order to get the effect that the fire appears to be jittery as "image artifacts", he had the camera's shutter speed set on a lower level, giving it that appearance. He also exlpained that he did the same trick for the part where Jim is at the Blockade when it is raining, after he escapes from the soldiers who were about to kill him, so that the rain appears as it does in the final film.

Plus, there is a plug-in for Adobe Preimere I read about in "Cinescape" that has been used in several films that give it the proper film quality, it being used in "Vanilla Sky" and "28 Days Later". I can't remember the name of the plug-in, but I may look around for the issue and find out the name of it again.

So, in other words, I still backup the DV format being used.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:09 am

Um...wasn't your original argument that someone could make the film on the cheap with DV insted of bigtime, big money, big studio?

Is this still your center stay of argument?
Sure, I know you guys think that "Knight Rider" should have massive explosions and a lot of car crashes and stuff like that. But I think that such unnecessary and excessive stuff should not be used. I mean, sure, two car crashes and three explosions are okay for a "Knight Rider" film.
:shock: Are you sure your a Knight Rider fan???

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:55 pm

Well, I suggested a low budget KR film first, but then I went into discussing how the DV format would be perfect for, not only budgeting reasons, but symbolism.

VorpalKITT
Volunteer

Post by VorpalKITT » Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:33 pm

Ok sevral things. I think Kitt should stay a Trans Am. The new ones look as cool or cooler as the old ones, so I think they should use a '99 model or something. Ok the DV thing, bad idea. The first Matrix had an independent film vibe even though it was produced by Warner Bros. Universal (or Revelution Studios according to movies.go.com) could pull that indepandent "vibe" off quite well. Revelution Studios has done that in the past with Tomb Raider (many people didn't like Tomb Raider but I did.) If I remember correctly they had Mountain Dew commercials all the time but that comes with the territory in almost every movie. Well I forgot what else I had to say so reply me if ya want.