Thoughts on a KR movie....

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

CB2001
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Thoughts on a KR movie....

Post by CB2001 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:10 am

Okay. You guys already know what I would do for a "Knight Rider" movie (as you've seen with the site I created). But lately, I've been having some thoughts about the casting.

Looking at my choices of the actors/actress and the character, I still agree with most of them, with the exception of one.

Though I still think David Duchovny would make a good Michael Knight, but as it was point out to me, he is a bit old to fit the "young loner" desciption. But if I had to revise the site and change the actor for the role, I would go with Colin Ferrall ("Minority Report", "Phone Booth", "The Recruit"). I think he would make an interesting Michael Knight and could probably play along well with Angelina Jolie (who I still think is perfect for the role of Bonnie).

Also, I have a crazy idea, and I know a lot of people are going to say I'm nuts for even suggesting it. But seeing that I am also a practicing filmmaker, I couldn't help but think about this: Why not have "Knight Rider" filmed as an independent film?

Think about it. It could be shot on DV, on a very low budget and probably be as good as some of the big budget actioners. Why not? Sure, we'd have to trust some newbie actors to fill in familiar roles, but wasn't David Hasselhoff a new actor before his shot to fame with "Knight Rider" (I know that he was on a soap opera before he landed the role of Michael, however it would be important to have the newbie actors who can play the characters would have to have some experience in acting, either TV, movie or theater productions)? Also, wasn't the budget for one episode $1 million, which is mere chunk change in comparison to major film budgets to films like "T-3" and "The Matrix Reloaded"?

Also, with an indepedent film (or at least on a budget lower than $2 million), it ensures that the action is real and that nothing is extremely done (sorry, no green screen effects involved in chase sequences ala "Charlie's Angels").

Just a thought...

sofchance
Rookie

Post by sofchance » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:56 am

Well...Angelina Jolie as Bonnie would be cool, but to be honest, I'd prefer someone a little less "popular."

Colin Farrell...well, maybe it's just me but I find the guy annoying. I can't tell you why, but I just don't like the guy's vibe.
David Duchovny as MK...well, I likes him in "the X-Files" but I can't think of him as MK, maybe it's just his looks or something.

I would prefer someone who could look and act like Hasselhoff did for the role...you know, with that swagger in his walk and the little pauses he used to make when he talked...the little things that made Michael Michael.

As for the independant film thing, I doubt that it would work since the KR franchise is owned by a big company (Universal). I WOULD say that I agree with you...there should be little/no cgi in the movie and it whould definitely not just be a corny action-fest. It should hold with the spirit of the series and be written by someone who watched most/all of the episodes!

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:45 am

I like Colin Farrell as an actor alot. (as for his personal life.. well...) However, I feel he's too short for the role. Need someone tall I think.

As for shooting on DV, it's too "anyone can do it." For Blare Witch and 28 Days Later it works because they have a quasi docemntary feel. And the original story lines get you through the quailty of the image.

But for Knight Rider, you need things to be big, you need the images to be bright and crisp, and the explosions big and powerful. Thats too much information for DV to handle. Yes, shooting Independantly might be okay, you can still shoot on film and be Independant. You just get funding from private sources, it happens in Europe all the time (see Terry Gilliam).

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:55 pm

my thoughts on kr movie is as long as they use the same body for kitt as they did in the show I don't care

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:34 pm

Actually, by using DV, not only will it be cost effective, but symbolically it would fit well with the idea of "Knight Rider".

What do I mean by symbolically? Simple: There are movies that have used DV to give off a certain feeling. For example:
1. "The Truth About Charlie"- There are scenes in DV. They are either thought process scenes or they are flashback/talking about the past scenes. The DV scenes give off the feeling of how energetic a person's mind is and how lively the past can be.
2. "The Center of the World"- The DV gives off the voyueristic feeling of watching a webcast. It makes the entire film seem surreal.
3. "28 Days Later..."- By using the DV in this film, it gives off the grainy and chaotic feeling of the situation.

How could it be symbolic for "Knight Rider"? Simple: Not only will it give a 'lively' feeling of what the show often had, but it would be a good representation of today's society and how technology has its part. By using it for a "Knight Rider" movie, it would be a merging of conventional and technological techiques (conventional being much like how Michael is, a former police officer using detective skills. Technological being KITT, a machine that is well advance that Michael has a symboic relationship with).

So, now you see why I suggested the use of DV, though still using film would be just as good.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:47 pm

You make some good points about how DV brings you closer to the subject, and I'm willing to give you that. But have you ever seen a chase sequence done in DV? I never have, but from what car movement I have seen in DV, it will be a pixelated mess. DV uses compression, and whos going to want to stare at digital artifacts.

Personally, I think DV hinders people who aren't "film buffs" from enjoying the movie. It distracts people who don't care about the "artistic intention." The people that would appreciate it are a small amount. And we want this movie to attract a wide audience, not just the art house crowd. Blare Witch is the only truely successful film that used DV. The others we have mentioned have no where near the big box office numbers that this film would need to be a success. 28 Days Later, while big in England, has only grossed around 40 mil on 6 weeks of release.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:25 pm

And that is actually a reasonable amount for a low budget flick. When Halloween was released back in 78, it made 50 million which was considered a great success for a independent film.

Anyway, back to the topic in hand.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:54 pm

I'd actually like to see Sandra Bullock as Bonnie. She can pull of the sexy geek thing quite well (like in "the net")

And what about having Mel Gidson as Micheal Knight. He certainly has that "big kid love of life" thing going on.... and the blue eyes and wavy hair. Might be a bit old to pull of the young loner thing though….
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:07 pm

Mel Gidson would be better then some others I hard people say!

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:46 pm

Yeah, and i HEARD some people say that Mel GIBSON would be better THAN some others!

-scott

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:49 pm

Neps- "The Blair Witch Project" used a Hi-8 camera, not digital. Look at following link for technical details: http://us.imdb.com/Technical?0185937

I know about the compression thing that you talked about. On "Anatomy of a Scene" for "28 Days Later..." they talked about that when it came to filming the scene where Jim (the lead character) is chased by the infected on fire. Even though with that problem, it gave off an very interesting effect (which could be used well in a "Knight Rider" film for SPM).

Of course, the DV thing is just my opinion. I could be wrong about the whole thing.

Also, I'm not changing my opinion of Angelina Jolie being Bonnie, but what about Jennifer Garner (TV's "Alias", "Catch Me If You Can", "Daredevil")? I think she could make a good Bonnie, too.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:00 am

Independent film making - whether it be Hi-8, DV, or film - is a good way to bring fresh new stories to the big screen that might not otherwise be told. But Knight Rider is an established franchise, and with that comes certain expectations regarding what the film will look like. And frankly that means big expensive explosions and a slick, polished look. Blair Witch, 28 Days Later, Halloween... there were no expectations for these films so they could define themselves with a Hi-8 look and feel to them.

Something else to consider: your idea would destroy the art of independent film making. If a super-low-budget Knight Rider movie was successful, then soon every producer-wannabe would be digging up every old TV show, comic book, novel etc. and trying to cash in. It would overshadow and stifle the creativity that independent filmmakers are known for.

Colin Farrell fits in with how I would cast KITT's new driver (not Michael Knight) because he has sort of young brooding look to him. I'd also go with Ethan Hawke (same type). But I still stick with my #1 choice of Johnny Depp with Tim Burton directing.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:48 am

Tim Burton directing? YES!!

Now that I would pay money for!

He could give it that dark shadowy grown up feel, thats promised in the starting credits, but never delivered in the program.

Put the Knight back in Knight Rider. :)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:01 pm

Rockatteer wrote:Put the Knight back in Knight Rider. :)
Wow, I love that!

Street Hawk actually had more of the tone that I thought Knight Rider was going to have. Street Hawk was a little darker and played up the mysterious vigilante angle a bit more. When Knight Rider was first being advertised, seeing KITT with his windows blacked out and hearing the name "Knight" in the title, I expected it to be a little more...well, shadowy.

Obviously I was thrilled with the way the actual show turned out, but I would like to see the show grow up on the big screen.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:47 pm

Yep i agree 100% with you.

I thought KR might have been heading down that path when they introduced RC as the "street avenger" but it was just a 1 off story line to introduce him into the show.....

I think the show will have to be grown up on the big screen, otherwise it will flop. I don't really think the light-hearted approach will work with todays audiance.

psychotic_carp
Stranger

Post by psychotic_carp » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:27 pm

i want to see a viper as kitt (ya i know "viper" tv show problem there)

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:55 pm

how about a dodge Stealth as Kitt?

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:15 pm

Rockatteer wrote:how about a dodge Stealth as Kitt?
Already been done. :p

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:19 pm

Oh...so what was the outcome of it? good bad...or otherwise?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:22 pm

KIFT. ;)

And actually, it wouldn't be so bad, if the Dodge Stealth was still available, it met its demise long before the Trans-Am did.

KI

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:56 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the Dodge Stealth was the sister car to the Chrysler Sebring, which was the cousin to the Eagle Talon. They were all developed in conjunction with Mmitsubishi when they created the Talon's sister car the Eclipse.

Not sure of what importance this is, just a little useless information about the car under the shell.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:37 pm

Makes sense neps, cos its basically the same shape as the Mistubishi GTO....

um....and the Nissan 200sx

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:29 pm

how bout this kitt as a lamborghini diablo

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:19 pm

Yeah i htought about that too Kev.. I thought it would be kinda kewl with the way the doors slide up on them....make it look kinda futuristic.

Be a tad expensive though.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:10 pm

how about this.... no idea what it is...but put a customized nose on it and paint it black!