Stu Phillips' score re-issue (with new cues)

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

tharpdevenport
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Stu Phillips' score re-issue (with new cues)

Post by tharpdevenport » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:23 pm

Limited edition from Varese Sarabande:
https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/knight-rider

The Film Score Monthly material plus unreleased score by the composer.

Be wary, as VS has been having series shipping issues since they fielded out the shipping to some company, but they are working on fixing it. In the mean time you may want to order from a reliable shipper like ScreenArchives.com (VS used to be reliable).
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.

litefoot
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Stu Phillips' score re-issue (with new cues)

Post by litefoot » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:50 pm

tharpdevenport wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:23 pm
Limited edition from Varese Sarabande:
https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/knight-rider

The Film Score Monthly material plus unreleased score by the composer.

Be wary, as VS has been having series shipping issues since they fielded out the shipping to some company, but they are working on fixing it. In the mean time you may want to order from a reliable shipper like ScreenArchives.com (VS used to be reliable).
So, just comparing this to the original FSM release from 2005:

Disc 1s are identical, except the End Titles have been shifted to the end of disc 2.

Disc 2 has music from episodes Good Day At White Rock, Just My Bill, No Big Thing, and Slammin' Sammy's Stunt Show Spectacular.

So this 2-CD set has music from nine of the 12 episodes that Stu Phillips scored (according to IMDB). The other three are K.I.T.T. vs. K.A.R.R., A Plush Ride, and The Final Verdict.

Black Cat
Recruit

Post by Black Cat » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:15 pm

We live in crazy times.

First a crazy amount of new Don Peake releases, and now a new Stu Phillips CD.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:11 pm

Varese also released the same content on a gorgeous 2 disc vinyl as a Record Store Day exclusive. I was lucky enough to have a friend snag one for me (and of course, I got the CD too), and I can't wait to hear the new material! If disc 2 of this new VS release sounds as good as the first disc that FSM originally put out, then we're all in for a real treat!

And yes, the new Don Peake scores are a very welcome addition to the overall collection. Hopefully we'll see remastered and cleaned up versions of those come down the pipe one day!
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

Black Cat
Recruit

Post by Black Cat » Mon May 27, 2019 7:09 am

So, anyone ordered the CD from either VS or ScreenArchives.com?

Being from Europe, trying to figure out what would be the best and safest way for me to order the new Stu Phillips CD.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:06 pm

Received my copy yesterday and have already listened the new material :)
I have already the first Knight Rider CD by Stu Phillips (Film Score Montly) so haven't listened yet the re-released tracks, wanted to listen first the new tracks and the sound quality is excellent :) Actually, putted the CD with re-relased tracks playing while typing this.
I'd say the new material quality (and the re-released tracks) is at least as good as the FSM CD.

This was a surprise release at least for me, didn't know anything about it until I did read this topic here. Thanks for posting it here and thanks for Stu Phillips releasing this cd :) Love the music in these early episodes, the original Knight Rider music.

Here's both of the Stu Phillips Knight Rider CD's together:

(there's unfortunately a crack in the new CD cover plastic but the main thing, the CD's are perfect. Should've replaced the cover before I took this pic)

Black Cat
Recruit

Post by Black Cat » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:50 am

KITTfan wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:06 pm
Where did you order from?

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:41 am

Black Cat wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:50 am
KITTfan wrote:
From Germany, soundtrackcorner.de.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:53 pm

I ordered the CD from Varese's website and had no problems whatsoever with them shipping it. In fact, it got here surprisingly fast! I also was able to secure the vinyl on Record Store Day and the artwork alone for the vinyl makes it a worthwhile investment, let alone the audio quality. As for the CD, while disc 1 is essentially a complete re-issue, it still blows me away what they were able to achieve with the clarity and depth of the sound. CD 2 is no exception, it is equally as good (maybe even better sometimes) than CD 1. Make no mistake, these CD's set the bar for not only superior sound quality for Knight Rider scores, they set the bar for most scores in general. While I personally prefer Don Peake's music over Stu Phillips', Don has yet to release any of his scores that sound this amazing. I couldn't recommend this release from Varese any higher!
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

Black Cat
Recruit

Post by Black Cat » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:17 am

I agree that the the latest Don Peake releases leave a lot to be desired when it comes to audio quality. I guess there was no mastering done to them at all, just direct digital copies. Some of the scores are also very short - 'Silent Knight' is less than 8 minutes long yet it still costs 10 bucks! Still, very happy we are able to get the music at all, just wish there was more work and thought put into these releases.

Back on topic with the latest Stu release - I guess because it includes couple of episodes, not all of the cues used are on the CD?

WittgenTT5/Rstein
Operative

Post by WittgenTT5/Rstein » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:31 pm

KITTfan wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:41 am
Black Cat wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:50 am
KITTfan wrote:
From Germany, soundtrackcorner.de.
http://www.soundtrackcorner.de/knight-r ... cbff710de2

45€ for two CDs, ehh i'll wait until someone uploads it to TPB or Youtube.
Rstein, the supercomputer on wheels.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:10 pm

Just as an FYI, while I can understand the desire to listen to the music freely to avoid paying a higher cost for the CD's for those living outside the U.S., it is the sales of these CD's that 1) reimburse the artists and people behind the creation of the CD's, and 2) are a measurable metric that can be used to prove the popularity of the music, therefore leading to higher chances of more music potentially being released in the future. Please consider legitimately buying these CD's as they are well worth the money.

WittgenTT5/Rstein
Operative

Post by WittgenTT5/Rstein » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:42 pm

KFCreator wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:10 pm
Just as an FYI, while I can understand the desire to listen to the music freely to avoid paying a higher cost for the CD's for those living outside the U.S., it is the sales of these CD's that 1) reimburse the artists and people behind the creation of the CD's, and 2) are a measurable metric that can be used to prove the popularity of the music, therefore leading to higher chances of more music potentially being released in the future. Please consider legitimately buying these CD's as they are well worth the money.
As much that I would love to support the artists and their hard work, at the end of the day i'm just a NEET with a hard-on for a early 80s TV show featuring a electronically sentient indestructable sports car and David Hasselhoff.

Might get the album when I have some more disposable income though.
Rstein, the supercomputer on wheels.

Black Cat
Recruit

Post by Black Cat » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:41 am

It's still a lot cheaper to just order directly from Varese, even being in Europe.

This is what I'm thinking of doing, however the shipping issues mentioned above are worrying me.

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:20 pm

And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.