Anyone know the name of the COMTRON Font?

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

fiatbravodriver
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Anyone know the name of the COMTRON Font?

Post by fiatbravodriver » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:43 am

Hi does anyone know the name of the COMTRON font?

Thanks

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Re: Anyone know the name of the COMTRON Font?

Post by jup » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:25 am

Was letter styling back then even known as a font???

Anyhow...I suspect that was a form of lettering connected to 'modern technology' of the '70s & early '80s. So, if I were to guess about a name of a possible font, I'd call it "Technology" or maybe even "SiliconValley".

On a side note, I tend to think that as far as computers were concerned, 'Fonts' only truly became a thing with the public via Windows 3.1, which was still quite a few years away from the time of this stylized letter printing. (Perhaps, some DOS or other OS word processing programs had the options. I can't be certain.) Computers of the day tended to have one style of ASCII that came built in to the firmware. Which also meant that the printers of the day would reflect that. Be it via Dot Matrix (which was capable of printing fonts, should any program even be possible of producing them) or the Daisy Wheel. (Very limited to it's abilities.) I have seen a few video games from those days that included their own set of stylized letters. It required the programmer(s) to hand build the font for just that one (or limited set of) program(s), however.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by KITTfan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:36 am

Commodore Amiga had Fonts library already in the 80's.
I have similar Font in my computer (PC, Win10) called Computerfont. I have forgotten though where I downloaded it.

RicardoRibeiro2000
Operative

Post by RicardoRibeiro2000 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:00 pm

KITTfan wrote:Commodore Amiga had Fonts library already in the 80's.
I have similar Font in my computer (PC, Win10) called Computerfont. I have forgotten though where I downloaded it.
Maybe you downloaded from here: https://www.dafont.com/computerfont.font

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:57 am

That makes sense. Amiga was so far ahead of everyone else for the time. I mean...modern PC's still have yet to catch on to the idea of throwing CPU's under the hood like they were dirt cheap. (Those machines had lots of co-processors to handle single task jobs, as I understand it.)