Knight Rider: The Fan Game

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

WittgenTT5/Rstein
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Knight Rider: The Fan Game

Post by WittgenTT5/Rstein » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:12 pm

Matthew wrote:
msKEN wrote:For the ocean let's say KITT gets a few upgrades (no we didnt make him a tranformer with weapons or turn him into a submarine) after being destroyed in the opening of the game. Come on its not a spoiler it happens almost every season premiere lol
Ah yes, one Knight Rider's great traditions:

Dented by a Learjet wing-tank; check
Sliced open like a tin can; check
Blown up by a missile; check
Melted down to bare metal; wait, not a season opener
Crushed like a salvage yard junker; check

I can't wait to see how you destroy him this time. :lol: Any plans to dial the season 5 KITT back to season 3 spec (deleting SPM and C-Mode) before adding the new version of the Aquatic Synthesizer?

Matt
"deleting SPM"

Say WHAAAAAT? Is SPM so over the top then?

I like the Convertible Mode because the Trans-Am was available as one:
Rstein, the supercomputer on wheels.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:13 pm

Convertible mode looks pretty savage. Doesn't have the needed bumper on it and everything yet, but reminds me of the Miami Vice Daytona, hm...

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:30 pm

WittgenTT5/Rstein wrote:"deleting SPM"

Say WHAAAAAT? Is SPM so over the top then?
Honestly, I do think SPM was over the top. But beyond that is the fact that it was never needed to begin with since KITT's top speed was described by Devon as being "how fast do you want to go." In the case of C-Mode, that just completely goes against the first priority of KITT's dominant program. One sniper shot without Surveillance Mode being active, and Michael is a goner.

In terms of the game though, I'm thinking of all the movable parts for SPM and C-Mode if the new Aquatic Synthesizer has some as well.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:31 pm

Can I just say something quickly? I think KRO is suddenly alive again...thanks to Ken's game!

WittgenTT5/Rstein
Operative

Post by WittgenTT5/Rstein » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:43 pm

Assasinge wrote:Can I just say something quickly? I think KRO is suddenly alive again...thanks to Ken's game!
Just like Wittgenstein the Supercomputer, KITT and KRO will hopefully! never die!
Rstein, the supercomputer on wheels.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:45 pm

"hopefully" You ain't optimistic for jack! Lol. I've been hyped for this fan game for years, never thought I'd end up here for it, in my hands...

msKEN
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by msKEN » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:48 pm

I'm not gonna make any friends here but I have no love for silly popup mode or c mode. But they are in the game since I'm a nut for detail lol. We haven't done much mesh wise for a season 5 Kitt. Most of the first episode you play as season 4 Kitt with all his season 4 features before he's um disposed of, I don't wanna say too much. He gets a few new defensive weapons that actually make sense in the realm of 80s TV science fiction but nothing like machine guns popping out of fenders or rocket launchers coming of his trunk. Think more like EMP blasts and Anti gravity rays and maybe perhaps the wheels fold down and the rims spin at super speeds to act like hover craft for water travel. Opps said too much. Even if you don't like what we do to our season 5 of Kitt you can always switch to unlocked cars and unlocked classic parts even the pilot nose and hood and different dashes will be there. The KITT builder interface will let you have Bonnie customize your own unique build of KITT. Sort of our nod to the NES game.

On multiplayer the game will have some Internet features that aren't required to play the game but ultimately we decided against multiplayer for this. It's struggle enough with single player alone. Now a NFS style (not open world just racing/demolition etc) mode that is p2p with a lobby system is completely doable but would have to be an update added later down the road.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AppleMacri1980
Operative

Post by AppleMacri1980 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:15 pm

so this takes place 8 weeks after Stevie's death?

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:51 pm

The game starts on September 26th 1987. We never officially see Stevie's grave on screen that I'm aware of, so we don't know the exact date of her death. I would say it's been about 8-9 months since she died. If you like to see The Scent of Roses as the season finale like we do, then its been about 3-4 months since she died.

AppleMacri1980
Operative

Post by AppleMacri1980 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:45 pm

that is 5 years since Micheal's transformation?

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:58 pm

Yes it's intentional to the plot. The first mission that kicks everything off is on his 5th anniversary of being shot in the face causing his transformation to Michael Knight. It's also close to the date the show would of aired in real life if it had been picked up for season 5.

So you can either see it as a direct sequel to scent of roses or Michael just finally coming to terms with what happened to the love of his life. We leave that up to the player to decide.

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:43 pm

msKEN wrote:We haven't done much mesh wise for a season 5 Kitt. Most of the first episode you play as season 4 Kitt with all his season 4 features before he's um disposed of, I don't wanna say too much. He gets a few new defensive weapons that actually make sense in the realm of 80s TV science fiction but nothing like machine guns popping out of fenders or rocket launchers coming of his trunk. Think more like EMP blasts and Anti gravity rays and maybe perhaps the wheels fold down and the rims spin at super speeds to act like hover craft for water travel.
One idea that's always appealed to me is using the fuel filler cap on the left rear fender as a chaff and flare dispenser. For the chaff element, imagine it popping out and spinning at high speed to fill the air with metalized fibres, whilst in the case of flares like the ultra magnesium charge, it'd simply need to pop-out, aim and fire.

For the hovercraft type element, have you considered giving the season 5 KITT different wheels? The reason I ask is that the wire rims from the '86 model onward would perhaps be more conducive to such a feature since wheels could function as a form of jet. As an added bonus, they were also available in the perfect colour combination. :good:

Matt
1990 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am (1).jpg
1990 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am (2).jpg

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:02 pm

Pictures not loading mate.

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks for the heads up bud. :good:

Matt

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:31 pm

No problem pal. Still can't wait to get my hands on a Trans Am soon, there's this one dude that I drive by everyday with a red Trans Am in his driveway.......I drool.

AppleMacri1980
Operative

Post by AppleMacri1980 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:26 pm

what about the maps and levels like will we see the place were KITT ands Micheal Battles Goliath that big open desert were he got nearly destroyed?

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:06 am

I uh...I think you're asking Ken to release all his top secret files here at this point pal... calm down a bit lol...

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:26 am

Giving that fuel door an actual function? I like it. After all, the fuel cap is semi-guarded under the license plate. And that trap door...(I think) tends to come and go like placement of buttons on the console. (Never understood why they didn't just make up a magnetic black piece that could go over that gas cover to seamlessly streamline the body on the less modified show cars. Then again, this is the same show that once had KITT drive by the camera and didn't care that the reflection showcased the whole 'behind the scenes' crew and the camera rig in a shot that would have had to have been edited in.)

As for Silly Pop Out Mode...I always thought it was a desperate upgrade that really didn't need doing. As already stated, Kitt was more or less unlimited by the speeds available...just by the surfaces of the road or the Earth, itself. When one can drive faster then a jet plane can fly, already...

...I do love one thing about it, though. That night time effect with all the red glow. Way too rarely used and did kind of feel in line with the series' kick off title, 'Knight of the Phoenix.'

In fact, I think I can place the emotion of dislike to the SPM. It always showed the transformation and made a big event out of using it. Just like with Voltron. No matter how good the writing may have tried to be, there was always that same boring bit when the robot comes together, does the same cookie cutter things, whips out the sword and wins the fight. It slows down and limits the plot for a moment. In fact, I feel that had the show continued on-wards, maybe (just maybe) they would have even somewhat mocked the feature by having Michael engage SPM to save a second and score a good parking space. (Kitt: "Michael. The mall is reaching critical mass levels and you still need to get Devon some Argyle Socks. I detect one parking space next to the main doors is about to open up." Michael: "We can't let that space escape us, Kitt. SPM!" Kitt: "But, Michael. I can self drive around the lot while you go..." Michael: "I said SPM." Kitt: "Very well, then." *Cover slides back/Button pressed/Wings extend/K Two Thousand drives at hyper speeds through a parking lot/Brake flaps extend/Kitt stops on a dime in the parking space/Wings retract* Kitt: "Congrats, Michael. You just claimed the space before that minivan could make the corner.")

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:08 am

There won't be a desert in this game aside from the opening credits. We wanted to focus more on the coastal/country/suburbs. I think the last 2 official
games we got and the game that is heavily influencing our game (mad max) burnt me out on the desert location. Like I said if you guys like the game when it's done and you want to see a dlc with either a Vegas or California desert then it will be based there for the second go. DLC will be a lot faster to make once the game is done and all the game mechanics and systems are in place.

Matthew I love the turbo casts too much to replace them but just for you I'll add those rims to the KITT customizer along with the rims from Custom KITT.

Lol have to say I never thought of doing anything with the gas cap. I'll take it under consideration.

RicardoRibeiro2000
Operative

Post by RicardoRibeiro2000 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:47 pm

msKen, do you think to post the game on Steam for free?

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:47 pm

Weren't there plans to put this on console or something at one point? Screw that, PC first man!

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:57 pm

msKEN wrote:Matthew I love the turbo casts too much to replace them but just for you I'll add those rims to the KITT customizer along with the rims from Custom KITT.
I know what you mean. Whenever I try to imagine those wire rims on KITT, I end up thinking of the ground effects Pontiac added that year (like the Universal KITT had come to think of it) as well. :lol:

Matt

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:29 pm

RicardoRibeiro2000 wrote:msKen, do you think to post the game on Steam for free?
Unfortunately indie developers were taking advantage of greenlight on Steam by using bots and multiple fake accounts to release their games under multiple titles and publishers when in reality they were selling the same game with a different name. It gets even worse. So Valve has announced they are shutting that down. I was honestly counting on steam for achievements and hosting our free game, I'm kinda of back to square one on where I will host the game. Most likely an amazon or google cloud server if they aren't too costly.
Assasinge wrote:Weren't there plans to put this on console or something at one point?
Xbox One is still a possibility. But PC is first followed by Mac and Linux. Console will be dead last if at all. If Microsoft won't approve or host the game it wont be worth the time and effort to do the platform conversion.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:43 pm

You're right. Even a company like Blizzard is struggling with MS and Sony for Overwatch, with their patches being put out much slower than PC edition. So good call.

AppleMacri1980
Operative

Post by AppleMacri1980 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:32 pm

why not just team up with like rocksteady or something? I mean if you talk to some one tell them about Davelex and what they ddi maybe they can help?