New Knight Rider Board Game

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

New Knight Rider Board Game

Post by KFCreator » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:00 pm

Recently I sat down and played the Battlestar Galactica Board Game (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/371 ... -galactica)with my wife and a couple of friends and had an absolute blast. I was surprised how much playing the game felt like you were experiencing an episode of the show. I'm kind of new to the board game arena but I know there are other games out there based on other TV properties like Firefly too. It all got me to thinking about how amazing a board game based on Knight Rider could be. I know there was a board game for Knight Rider back in the 80's but I'm talking about a modern, much more complex game. So I was wondering, what if some of the fans here on KRO banded together to plan out and create a new iteration? You could 3D-print tiny board pieces in the shape of KITT, KARR, Goliath, the Juggernaut, the Semi, etc. for example, and model the gameplay and board layout off some existing ones for starters and then modify it to suit the KR world. Anyone interested in expanding on this idea?
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Re: New Knight Rider Board Game

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:39 pm

I remember considering buying that game on ebay for $35 once but I figured when was the last time I could get a bunch of friends of mine to play a board game. They would much rather hit a bar with an arcade, movies, restaurants then sit in a room playing an old fashioned board game.

I used to watch the show so religiously that I remembered exactly where to find each image to match the games cover art. I set out to recreate the artwork

If you need the board artwork done I might be able to lend a hand there with photoshop skills.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Assasinge » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:54 am

I would pay a fortune for this...

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:44 am

You may not need to pay a fortune after all:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1982-19 ... SwygJXhm7H

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:30 am

Was curious on how that original board game even played. For some reason, I'm picturing it working with dice and becoming like some kind of auto race. Doesn't seem like any YouTube videos on this game being played even exist. (Though, I have found one on that Battlestar board game. Or, a computer port of it, at least.)

As for an original, modern KR board game, I can kind of see something involving a type of 'city scape' board working out and using a whole lot of stacked cards. The game might have several kinds of 'modes' involved in it. A general mode might have one player going with Michael and other players going with random characters of the week. The cards would be used in multiple ways. Like one select stack is for plot building. Depending on what cards are in each player's hand, it determines what kind of role they are playing. Where as the Michael character has to work with other stacks of cards to gather clues. Plus, he has to work with the KITT cards, which randomly set up conditions. I don't know..."Traffic Jam. Kitt can only go half the road spaces, this turn." or "Light traffic. Kitt can go double the spaces." or "Construction! Turbo boost costs one scan card from player's hand." Things like that. Other game play modes would have KARR and/or Garth in action, both of whom need their own special card stacks. I can also see an hour glass kind of timer being used, requiring that the Michael character figure out who the plot's bad guy(s) are before time runs out.

I also know that developing a complex game like this requires people far more familiar with board games like Clue and such then I have ever been to make it work correctly.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:33 am

jup wrote:Was curious on how that original board game even played. For some reason, I'm picturing it working with dice and becoming like some kind of auto race. Doesn't seem like any YouTube videos on this game being played even exist. (Though, I have found one on that Battlestar board game. Or, a computer port of it, at least.)
Here: Image

RicardoRibeiro2000
Operative

Post by RicardoRibeiro2000 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:31 pm

Image what about a card game?

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:17 pm

Knight Racer, that recreation of the board game box art is impressive! Thanks for the offer to help!

Jup, I like your line of thinking about a modern take on the game. The Battlestar Galactica game was interesting because it comprised of a board with the Galactica drawn out in the center of it and had different areas of the ship that you could move your characters to. You started the game with your chosen character, who had certain strengths and abilities. You would take turns with each player rolling the dice and, depending on what was happening on the board, you'd have to pick from the cards you drew to combat the current situation. At the end of each player's turn, you'd have to draw a "Crisis" card that could be anything from "A Base Star just jumped to off your starboard side and unleashed 6 Raiders" to "There's a food shortage," and everything in between. All players could then chip in together to try combat whatever the crisis was or else they'd suffer consequences like "A transport was attacked, you lost 50,000 population" or "Morale is down 3 points" and there were 3 or 4 corresponding dials on the board you had to maintain as high as possible because if they dropped to zero, it was automatic game over. All the while, one of the players was likely a cylon and their job was to constantly find ways to sabotage the other players while maintaining their cover until such a time as they were either caught or they decided to come out and announce it to everyone, at which point a specific action happened. It truly felt like an episode of the series and that's what my aim for a new board game would be.

Players could choose to play as Michael, KITT, Devon, Bonnie, or RCIII and the board could consist of different locales from the series and you have to all work together to go on missions and battle the criminals. On the way, you could make periodic pit stops at the Semi for repairs, info. gathering, or transport to a different locale. You'd have to be on the lookout for big villains suddenly making appearances, like Garthe and Goliath, KARR, the Juggernaut, David Halston and the drone cars, Adrienne Margeaux, or John Byrock and the acid pit, which could cause you massive harm (or death) and send you to the hospital, KITT to the Foundation's repair bay, or other such things. Like the Battlestar Game, you'd have to maintain things like morale, keeping innocent people alive, not letting the bad guys get away, etc, and the more you fail at each of those, the more cumulative toll it takes until you fail the game. The objective of the game would be to catch all of the criminals and "make a difference."
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:49 pm

It would be a very tall order to figure out how to make all those elements work together on such a random basis, all right. Most certainly a leap further then an auto race between KITT and KARR where each token moves along a 'board' road and competes for the lead, based on the number of a die. (Or takes a short cut that risks the right number be rolled to 'smash through' or 'Turbo boost' against obstacles.) Good luck.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:40 pm

jup wrote:It would be a very tall order to figure out how to make all those elements work together on such a random basis, all right. Most certainly a leap further then an auto race between KITT and KARR where each token moves along a 'board' road and competes for the lead, based on the number of a die.
Just thought of Knight Rider the Game, where KARR kidnaps Bonnie and Michael and KITT has to race him or something.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:32 am

Yup. I saw that on a YT video, several weeks back. It was kind of hilarious to me, just seeing how many plot points they had to force into place to make their story work. I especially enjoyed how Garthe had to make an escape via an aircraft...that just had to follow a valley road in order to be somewhat fair to the race against a (mostly) landlocked car. (And I think Garthe eventually ties up the very pilot that had to come into that battle arena and rescue him. Like...what???)

Makes a lot of sense that KARR would nab Bonnie in order to waste Michael and Kitt's time via a race...on the practice course.

Game had good graphics and a good base to work with. Now, had they only scrapped that horrid plot and started over on the story...

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:33 am

Don't forget that that KITT was now a 45 year old British man from the History channel.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:38 am

By all means. The impersonated voices were acceptable...only a part of the time.