Knight Rider: The Fan Game

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Re: Knight Rider: The Fan Game

Post by jup » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:37 pm

Michael.Knight1 wrote:Ken , The Game Should by on PS2 & PS3 Too if that possible with unity 8)
While Sony has just (or is about to) officially discontinued production of all PS2 units, I don't think most people have the proper tools to burn PS2 discs that can get around the anti-theft measures that the PS2 used. And, the only way this could be done is for people to burn the disc, themselves. I do remember the days of PS1, having devices that could be added into an expansion port that overrode burned discs to make them work. But, it's something that I haven't been looking into.

Besides, there's probably a ton of code alterations that would be needed. And, I could so easily see a game of this caliber, being burned by some unworthy type for purpose of black market sales in the 'retro' craze that now exists. It's not like the 2600/Intellivision/NES stuff that dedicated people are making inside their own physical cartridges with software property that isn't governed by major companies. Keeping it purely PC is for the best, I would say.

And, trust me. I would love to play this on my PS3.

...which isn't completely impossible, actually. Acquire an early machine that hasn't been on-line and still has access to OS'es like Windows XP and Mac OS. (At one time, PS3's OS openly permitted you to install those. But, lawsuits have forced them to discontinue that option. And, anyone that has given their machine on-line access has been forced up upgrade that feature out of existance.) Or, just acquire an early PS3 OS that still has the PC access and don't put the machine on-line. Viola. You may very well have a PS3 potential port of this title. Now, I do know that the PS3 ran the more modern versions of Windows so badly, it could take nearly 20 minutes, just to reach the start button. But, that wasn't because the PS3 wasn't strong enough. It's just that modern Windows can't utilize the PS3 hardware, leaving the machine to run in some kind of underpowered mode to find compatability. Modern Mac of the time was completely compatable, according to YouTube videos on the subject. Go figure.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by DJGM » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:26 pm

As I recall, the "Install Other OS" feature that used to be on the PS3 only allowed to install specific Linux distributions.
There was no way, technically or legally, this feature could ever allow installation of Windows or Mac OS X on the PS3.

As for porting a PC game to consoles, apparently it's a lot easier for developers of games made for Windows to port
to XBox360 than the PS3, since the XBox360 uses a subset of certain graphics features from Windows like DirectX.
Any possibility of this game being ported to any of the consoles has been effectively ruled out.

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:01 am

Looks like a lot of those old videos have vanished. But, I did find this one...

http://youtu.be/Vz9UtiTqaoI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In it, they got Windows XP to run on a PS3 via a Linux port. But, I swear that there were videos that showed Windows running without a Linux interface being present. Granted. There could have been trickery involved in those videos.

Besides, it hardly matters. Just looking at how this emulator is running on a partially incompatable system, gives me no confidence that it would ever run this game. A game of mine sweeper should be no problem. But, anything advanced?

And, yea...ruled to be completely illegal.

I still remember the whole bit about how the original Sega Dreamcasts would downright run dirty ports of PC games with minimal efforts. Between a lack of lockouts, the presence of Windows, (Was it CE?) already in the machine and the emergence of home CD burners at the time, people could almost make some games port over with very little effort. In fact, there were even some lazy, officially released games that somehow made the shelves with porting issues. Which meant fatal crashes were eventually imminent. Sega soon after, started to make units that would not read home burned discs. But, it was still probably the more port friendly machine, around. Though, I suspect that X-Box is secretly super compatable.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:41 am

Thanks for the compliments Jup! Actually some of Jup's fan fiction regarding KARR will be tailored to fit our story line and make an appearance in the game. :D

We're still very hard at work, but unfortunately what we've been working on has been code, which is kind of hard to show off at the moment. The car physics have been completely rewritten from the ground up and I think everyone will find them way more enjoyable and much easier to control then our old car physics.

Regarding the PS3, if by same chance Sony were to bring back OtherOS, then yes the game would most definitely run on a PS3. We've done some tests on the Ubuntu distribution and the alpha build of the game runs flawless. The way Sony has been behaving the last couple of years though I sadly wouldn't hold my breath. I think PS3 Firmware 3.15 was the last firmware to allow OtherOS, then they removed it because hackers found away to circumvent the security.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:06 pm

I'm glad that my old fiction works can be used.

These days, my head is so swimming with the activities of a nun that's out to save the universe and all the drawing that goes with it that I can't even remember what KARR was once doing.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Interesting...

As I was browsing through my usual subscriptions in YT, it brought up this link as a selection to view...

http://youtu.be/bkBM9sSdh50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There was a bit of a flame war going on in the comments. But, I was curious to see if any discussion was going on about if this was still possible. Here's a reply that says it is...

"lakaiyak 1 month ago

Guys, FYI you can STILL DO THIS, but you need OtherOS++ (google it) , a more polished version of OtherOS (and it works on all PS3 models) so yes it is still possible to install Linux."

Now, if this requires jail breaking a PS3 or if Sony will get ticked off at you installing this program and bans all interactions, I do not know. But, it does sound like it is possible to install Linux to install Win/Mac OS to install this game onto.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:22 pm

Having looked at the suggested "OtherOS++" option ... that looks like a lot of very technical effort that most PS3
users either won't want to bother with, or don't have enough technical know-how to understand the instructions.
Although for the more technically minded it's do-able, but for those that don't know what they're doing, running
the risk of permanently bricking their consoles with unsupported 3rd party hacks, it really isn't worth it.
. . . if by same chance Sony were to bring back OtherOS, then yes the game would most definitely run on a PS3.
We've done some tests on the Ubuntu distribution and the alpha build of the game runs flawless . . .

Was this the standard Ubuntu for regular x86 PC's, or an unofficial Ubuntu distro made especially for older PS3's?

Testing on a Linux distro designed for standard PC's, does not guarantee that it'll work on a Linux distro for PS3.
The hardware on either platform is not inter-compatible. Most PC's contain x86 or x86-64 CPU's made by Intel
or AMD, while the PS3's CPU is based upon IBM PowerPC similar to the CPU used in the old PowerMac G5.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:37 pm

That is correct there are no guarantees, but do I have a jailbroken PS3 with OtherOS++ installed. You are correct again though, it was a lot of work to get it installed properly, and the average user is not going to go to those lengths to get that installed. Unless by some chance they are still on a firmware that is version 3.55 or lower, then there is no hope outside of a hardware downgrade and the new superslims can't be downgraded at all to my knowledge.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:30 pm

TBH ... instead of hacking an older model of PS3, to run an unsupported Linux distro that might brick the console,
it'd be a lot less hassle to set up a refurbished 2nd user PC, stick a copy of Linux Mint on it and use that instead.

You'll can tell by my avatar I'm not a PS3 user ... but I don't get into console fanboi flamewars either!
:wink:

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:20 pm

And, I have an older, 'retired' PS3. All I have to do is take another hack at it to properly locate where this cooling gel is suppose to go, so that it stops screaming at me about overheating, and I might try to locate that old PS3 OS (probably in one of my old backup drives.) and install this stuff. But, if that ever happens, it'll be at a far future date.

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:22 am

The Fan Game is getting a new environment, made to connect all worlds and levels into one big environment. The thought came to our minds of a city full of references to 80s movie and TV world.

Note that it’s not going to be a complete and xxl-sized world like GTA, but a medium-sized city which has all the neccesary elements for a good movie city: Backstreets like New York, a Chinese area, a skyline, an industrial/harbor area and even a small Beverly Hills-like avenue.

To make it a real Knight Rider city there are hints to famous episodes. Some of these are actually even small side levels to the main storyline! The list of planned locations is as follows:

- John’s Marine – KITT vs KARR
- Fong’s China Trader – Knight of the Drones
- Thortex building – Knight of the Juggernaut
- Comtron building
- 3 Rings Drive-in – Trust Doesn’t Rust

This list is a bit short of course, but if you have any suggestions that I shouldn’t miss, please tell me and I’ll have a look at them.

Apart from that, other famous series and movies of the day will appear:

- Mr. Lee’s Loundry (the A-Team)
- Lou’s Delivery (A-Team)
- Fall Guy’s Stuntman Association – Test Center (Fall Guy)
- Colt Seavers’ home hidden somewhere in the hills (Fall Guy)
- Dr. Emmett Brown Institute (Back to the Future)

These are just buildings and locations. There are so many more hidden objects and other bonus items I won’t list yet. Some later updates may come with pictures.
'Playing a video game where circles eat blobs is hardly getting into computers.'

-KITT, Soul Survivor

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:06 pm

How about the junk yard dog foundation testing grounds? The dam from so many episodes like knight mares, redemption of a champion, etc, the race track knight of the Phoenix and slamming Sammy stunt show spectacular.

Recruit

Post by 86678 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:41 pm

Is this game still going to be PC? I have seen a lot of talk about play stations and was just wondering, And I was wondering if you think this game would come out say in a couple of years? Or is it no where near completion? I am only asking out of curiosity :) I hope it works out :kitt:

Recruit

Post by 86678 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:23 am

WOW! I just checked out the website and just WOW! Great job, Can't wait to play it! :D :kitt:

Deveo
Operative

Post by Deveo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:49 am

Knight Racer, the dam will be a separate level.

We have a test track in the city in which you can do some stunt work like in Slammin' Sammy's Stunt Show Spectacular. Together with the Fall Guy that will be a nice 80s reference. :D

For a real FLAG test track I was thinking of an advanced version of what the Davilex game had. That was in my opinion a nice way to get used to KITT's horrible behaviour in that game :lol: It will be a part of the FLAG Mansion environment, less large scaled than the Davilex track but with more things to test. Mud, gravel, hills, maybe even water, who knows!

Meanwhile Ken has created a new driving physics system. Nice camera effects and behaviour on diffirent waytypes make this very realistic. It's almost done. We aim for a driving experience close to the latest Need For Speed releases. I've seen some test builds and believe me, it's extremely close! :good:
'Playing a video game where circles eat blobs is hardly getting into computers.'

-KITT, Soul Survivor

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:02 am

86678 wrote:Is this game still going to be PC? I have seen a lot of talk about play stations and was just wondering, And I was wondering if you think this game would come out say in a couple of years?
It's a free time kind of project since we are just fans ourselves doing this as a hobby, but we hope to have the game out by the end of this year but we are not making any promises just yet. We will have a better idea around July and quiet possibly a demo in August. We are really moving a great pace right now!

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:50 am

We've started working on some northern California locations for the game. There will be two locations in total, about 8-9 miles worth of snowy mountains and slick road conditions. Wont it be fun to drive KITT in the snow? We certainly think so! Gives us a good excuses to have Traction Spikes put to good use! :good:

* Tip - Right Click on the photo and choose "View Image" to open a new window for full screen images.

Deveo did some seriously awesome mod work for the season 4 pods and consoles! You'll notice a few other surprises as well.

Black Cat
Recruit

Post by Black Cat » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:22 am

The dashboard looks stunning!

Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see more of this project. :good:

Avenger95
Operative

Post by Avenger95 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Will the snow level respond to real hazards of driving in the snow? Like, you speed up while driving a curve, you spin out or fishtail? KITT could obviously use his system to correct and stabilize, but it would be funny if he "advises" against irresponsible driving.

The level would make good use of thermal imaging too when searching for human bodies or hidden vehicles.
...... []Knight Avenger Guardian Enforcer[] ......

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:25 pm

KITT actually responds to wet conditions like snow and rain, and off road conditions such as mud and dirt. His traction control feature will actually have to be used with some skill as they only last a set time and then need to recharge before it can be used again. We did this to add a bit of challenge in how you choose to drive.

And yes thermal imaging will be quite handy! :D

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:32 pm

msKEN wrote:KITT actually responds to wet conditions like snow and rain, and off road conditions such as mud and dirt. His traction control feature will actually have to be used with some skill as they only last a set time and then need to recharge before it can be used again. We did this to add a bit of challenge in how you choose to drive.

And yes thermal imaging will be quite handy! :D
:lol: Sadly, I think this opening episode joke only lives in the unedited DVD sets. But, this reminds me of that one scene where KITT, on auto pilot, drives out of gridlock by driving at a full 90 degree angle. It would be cute if KITT could drive himself out of certain roadside traps by driving 90 degrees with spiked tires deployed. Although toony, it's also an official option, just like the rotating license plate and 360 evation button w/smoke discharge.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:35 pm

86678 wrote:Is this game still going to be PC? I have seen a lot of talk about play stations and was just wondering, And I was wondering if you think this game would come out say in a couple of years? Or is it no where near completion? I am only asking out of curiosity :) I hope it works out :kitt:
No, no, no, no...we were only discussing the potential of taking advantage of an outdated feature on the PS3. To have an official console release would mean money. Which would involve legal ownership of the product with it's cast and a whole nest of worms.

ReddawgKnight
FLAG Assistant

Post by ReddawgKnight » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:18 am

wow i havent been around in a while...i come back and find out that theres a game in the works,thats amazing! ;)

Michael Knight, KITT
Volunteer

Post by Michael Knight, KITT » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:13 pm

So is the game going to be released in Q2 of 2013 as I have seen before or is it going to be released in Q4 of 2013. BTW good work with the textures and the shading this looks way better than Shadow Rider Reloaded for San Andreas. And I have 2 ideas. 1st Maybe you could have a part where you have to play kitt and try to track down michael because of A: he has been kidnapped or B: he has lost his memory again lol. And the 2nd idea is maybe you can kinda have Short Circuit "easter egg" where there is a nova building or a Johnny 5. And I was going to say that you should leave out the sad ending that leads into KR2000 but that sounds like a jerk and it is your game so... but I shall still love the game I just guess I never understood why the made KR2000 because (personally I thought it was awful) but thats my opinion. Thank you guys so much for putting time and effort into making this and also thanks for listening to comments of the people! :kitt: :dash:

Edit: Oh I just thought of something! Maybe you could choose your ending! Ending A: Michael stays with flag for people who do not like KR2000 or Ending B: Michael leaves for the people who like to include all of knight rider movies. This is just a suggestion as I am guessing a few others do not like KR2000 Please take this into consideration but it is only a suggestion.

AppleMacri1980
Operative

Post by AppleMacri1980 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:07 pm

also my questions are how will each story end and begun with and how will the game start i would like to see some previews on some of the stories like a 30 to 50 minutes so we can see what it looks like