why wasn't KR08 successful?

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by WIBoomer1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:12 pm

Victor Kros wrote:In the end NBC pulled the plug and that is an undisputed fact. They didn't have the respect to move it to another time slot, another network (syfy), or inform the fans of their decision. They just swept it under the rug, smuggled it out of the USA and re-presented it to other countries.
...who now have false hope that KR 08 can and will be revived. By not coming outright and saying that KR 08 was canceled officially, it leads to confusion.

I don't think it was Shapeshifter beaning you VK, I think Knightendo77 was shredding you.

About the product placement, if it was really about that, then why wasn't there any KR 08 model cars, shirts, keychains, lunch boxes, etc...that was one revenue generator that was never even opened.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:01 am

WIBoomer1 wrote:
Victor Kros wrote:In the end NBC pulled the plug and that is an undisputed fact. They didn't have the respect to move it to another time slot, another network (syfy), or inform the fans of their decision. They just swept it under the rug, smuggled it out of the USA and re-presented it to other countries.
...who now have false hope that KR 08 can and will be revived. By not coming outright and saying that KR 08 was canceled officially, it leads to confusion.

I don't think it was Shapeshifter beaning you VK, I think Knightendo77 was shredding you.

About the product placement, if it was really about that, then why wasn't there any KR 08 model cars, shirts, keychains, lunch boxes, etc...that was one revenue generator that was never even opened.
I didn't think Shapeshifter had taken any shots at me, that's why I started my post addressing endo. Shapeshifter stated an opinion and I responded. No conflict or hard feelings were intended. To answer your question, in my opinion because it costs them money to make merchandise and companies pay them more money to get their products endorsed. NBC gains more by people paying them and spending the bare minimum to promote their products than vice versa.

If NBC was concerned about the fans and keeping the show strong on the air, they absolutely would have made official merchandising availible. That was the point I was trying to make. I believe I have stated several times before, NBC could have made a 1:18 or 1:64 officially licensed KI3T car with less financial risk but they never bothered to try. That's how much they really cared about their audience where as the original series had a fleet of merchandise out there although clearly not as much new officially licensed merchandise is availible today.

Maybe it was just a different era we can't bring back. I know as a fan, I enjoy collecting what I can to preserve those precious memories of my childhood when I had the Kenner talking KITT and the 1:64th turbo booster set and fond memories of playing with them. Both became lost (my talking KITT was rolled in traffic by a bully and smashed to pieces just to prove a point to me, KITT wasn't invulnerable) but having grown up with the resources to reclaim those memories. My KITTs stand proudly on my shelves.

A reminder of an era that eventually made me the person I am today and I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment.

Unfortunately when it comes to Knight Rider 08 and kid's toys, the closest you can get is a few promotional items and fan made customs of KI3T. The fan made 1:18 Shelby GT500KR's with working dual scanners and modified interiors are pretty impressive too.

=VK=
:dash:

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:48 am

Well, I agree with you about the merchandise Nick, but you also have to keep in mind about groups like Parent's Television Council who would attack NBC for making a product line for shows that they consider "unsafe" for their kids. I remember hearing about them attacking CBS when they heard they made some CSI: forensics kit toys at Toys R Us. They even went against ABC when they made LOST character action figures.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:38 am

That's why toys have a recommended age printed on them right? That was the whole point of the ages 3 and up requirement right? I mean hot wheels and matchbox which have been around forever are still out there in the kids aisles, even in grocery stores? Even Avon endorsed a matchbox Knight Rider Star Car of K.I.T.T.! (I actually have one on card with an error). They also made other shows as well and joyride/ertle has made pretty much any movie and tv car out there. Why would Knight Rider: The Series be any different in terms of merchandising?

It probably has more to do with licensing from Shelby more than anything else but I figure if they were endorsing their high end cars, getting clearance on merchandising couldn't have been that difficult? They already have a 1:18 and 1:64 officially licensed die cast car so it's not like they needed to create new molds and whatnot, just alter a paint scheme.

I agree though, parents can find reasons to complain about anything and everything with rediculous reasons, especially with companies like Disney.

=VK=

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:47 am

victor, i wouldnt let my daughter watch kr08 due to the blatant useless sexual refrences. when you say parents can find ridiculous reasons to complain about anything obviously you are not taking parenting seriously.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:29 am

I meant in general, hence the Disney comment. Toys are another matter.

=VK=

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:30 pm

Victor Kros wrote:I meant in general, hence the Disney comment. Toys are another matter.

=VK=
I apologize. I took your comment out of context. I get a bit upset when I feel that my parenting is taken into question,
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:38 pm

it was both nbc and gary scott tompson machine gun that destroyed knight rider 08. they just did not care

the mustang was just too plain. it was basically a stock shelby mustang off the showroom floor with a damn red scanner

GE's six sigma policies and the show was dull and boring until the reboot

zoey I wanted to rip her spine out she was so damn annoying :evil:

they killed Charles Graiman aka the new Devon Miles. You do not kill Devon Miles!! they still have not learned their lesson from knight rider 2000

CGI turboboost with the KR logo come on :kitt:
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

Lara
Recruit

Post by Lara » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:48 am

ya i see what you all mean :/ its just so sad! I would have liked to see more of from the cast!
Visit http://www.Deanna-Russo.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; your 1st and best fansite for Deanna Russo!

Nicholas Knight
Operative

Post by Nicholas Knight » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:16 pm

I believe they made Knight Rider too adult. In the TV movie, they had Agent Rivai as a lesbian and Mike Traceur sleeping with two girls. I felt uncomfortable watching that with my 5 year old son-- and we both enjoyed the four seasons of the old KR, TKR series, even the 2010 movie, which my son didn't like cause the "supercar" looked like "Legos". When it came to the 2k8 TV series, too much T&A, "douche" comments, and the KARR ep which me and my son had waited for so long, begins with Mike and Sarah making out. Micheal and Bonnie never did that, it was unnecessary for that. Knight Rider was a family friendly show, not something to be seen on late-nite Cinemax! If they had planned the series to be family friendly, it would have no doubt lasted several seasons!!!!! If it was family friendly, there would have been child marketing. Maybe even cereal, lunchbox, ERTL toys, well..........maybe the return of the Knight Rider BigWheel!!! But they took the TV movie and series in the wrong direction, point blank. And even though I bought it on DVD, It's so sad to see one of the greatest series of all time get twisted into a adult themed short lived series.
Knight Tech Inc. -- Where everyone makes a difference.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:25 pm

You're totally correct. When I saw the new show for the first time, I just facepalmed at the amount of times they kept on adding stupid things that have no progression to the story. Billy and Zoe joking around are okay once in a while, but they kept on pushing stupidity in my face, and it got annoying.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

citizen_x
Operative

Post by citizen_x » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Am I the only one who actually LOVED the new series? :?
I just finished watching the last episode on the DVD and I was extremely sad. I LOVED everything about it: the lovely Sarah (her amazing eyes simply hypnotized me), funny Zoe, cool Mike, the wise Mr. Graiman and the AMAZING new K.I.T.T. Not to mention the rhythmic theme music!

Obviously, William Daniels did a far better job dubbing the original but Val Kilmer's efforts were pretty good.
All in all, the new take on the franchise was very good in my book. Too bad it didn't work out at the end. I sure love to see it continue for a few more seasons (three at least 8)).

Nicholas Knight
Operative

Post by Nicholas Knight » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:00 pm

I honestly like the new series, but they went adult oriented, which split the fans. If you are a KR fan that has kids, then 9 times outta 10 your kids are fans of KR. Knight Rider, in my opinion, was about one man making a difference in somebody elses situation....It was a family friendly series that anybody could watch without being concerned about improper situations. It was entertaining and it was properly spread to kids, by ERTL Toys, Big Wheels, Lunchboxes, and other gimmicks. The new series wasn't intended to be family friendly......It had a Fast and Furious tone, T&A, douche jokes, and sexual situations.Like it was mainly made for a typical teenage boy.That's why there wasn't any real merchandising....that's why the Shelby mustang Toys are kinda popular though they weren't licensed as KR vehicles. It's kinda hard to explain to your 5 year old son why Daddy had to fast forward some scenes. And the storylines made no sense...Have an officially dead Mike go see old friends, killing Dr. Graiman (the Devon-like mentor) in the first few episodes, have MK do all government related issues and not helping the average person in not so average situations until several eps later. These and other issues plagued the 08 series. The car choice, the voice, the special effects, and the crew could've been grown to be liked , just as the original series was when it first came out. But when the new series split the fans from the beginning, it was doomed for failure.

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Wed May 05, 2010 1:15 am

knightendo77 wrote:Andron was a fan, Bartis and Liman were fans
I'm not so sure about this, the KR08 pilot had some glaring inconsistencies with the original story.

Kal-el4
Operative

Post by Kal-el4 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:12 am

no it didn't, the pilot and subsequent series was a continuation of the OS, and answered many questions

Slayer2004
Volunteer

Post by Slayer2004 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:20 pm

What you want to ask more is why did they cancel it when it had a steady viewing audience of 7 million, yet there are shows on still that struggle to get to 5 million and continue to have their seasons renewed. I mean just look at the CW, smallville cannot get over 3 million viewers anymore yet season 10 has been agreed without any real problems, NBC obviously didnt like Knight Rider, it had nothing to do with hat people wanted. I have an image of Angela Bromstad throwing a BF over it being on and them canceling it to please her lol
Slayer2004 - Life, an infinate energy beyond scientific understanding....

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Thu May 13, 2010 8:22 pm

Slayer2004 wrote:What you want to ask more is why did they cancel it when it had a steady viewing audience of 7 million, yet there are shows on still that struggle to get to 5 million and continue to have their seasons renewed. I mean just look at the CW, smallville cannot get over 3 million viewers anymore yet season 10 has been agreed without any real problems, NBC obviously didnt like Knight Rider, it had nothing to do with hat people wanted. I have an image of Angela Bromstad throwing a BF over it being on and them canceling it to please her lol
I can imagine that easily too given the facts...

Sad, hopefully a made for TV movie of the show will be made at some point, that's the best we can hope for at this time.

David Whiteheart
Operative

Post by David Whiteheart » Mon May 17, 2010 9:13 am

Victor Kros wrote:The lackluster writing, inflated effects budget, and most importantly the arrogance of NBC execs choosing not to involve or accept any assistance from the crew of the original series (short of one prop master) killed the series and its potential to succeed.

It was not the viewers or the fans fault, it was the network itself.

=VK=

I agree it was the networks fault. They put the show up against the Fox Juggarnaut of American Idiot and came in second or third every Wednesday when it was on here in the states. To me that should have been good enough to keep it on for a second season or they could have put it on their sister channel's of USA or SyFy where I think it would have done as well if not better. Viper was on NBC for a month in the mid 90's. It had some "aspects" of a Knight Rider plot to it, but it didn't fly. It was brought back on UPN and was a hit for 6 seasons with a different driver in syndication. For some reason every Knight Foundation franchise since the TOS gets shot down before it gets a chance to get off the ground. It's either incompetent execs at NBC or a change of upper management at Universal that killed off TKR, thus leaving us hanging at the end of the first and only season. I'm just glad this KR franchise wasn't left with an open ending.

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Mon May 17, 2010 3:18 pm

I've come to the conclusion that casting is one of the most important components of a successful show.

There've been a lot of knocks on the quality of writing on KR08, but at least three of those writers are now working on critically acclaimed shows (Friday Night Lights, Justified). What makes these shows work, for me, is simply brilliant casting which allows the writers to do more to turn the characters on the page into three-dimensional people that we can relate to and care about. It's what the actors can DO with the material that matters, IMHO. I always felt that if KR's lead had been someone like Charlie Hunnam (Sons of Anarchy) it would have been a totally different show.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Mon May 17, 2010 6:25 pm

I disagree, Justin Bruening was probably the most competent and charasmatic actor on the show. It was the crap he had to work with from the script to the overuse of CG for real world elements - the direction of GST and his ideas that just did not work (save for episode 17 - I guess everyone can get it right at least once). Justin did the best with what he had and what he had wasn't good enough to last. Let's be honest here, the series "arc" planning was severely lacking and the budget was blown on needless CG just to say HEY WE CAN DO THIS ON TV NOW! We're as good as a motion picture house! Look at our snazzy effects SEE SEE! They also inflated the budget on other useless crap like using green screen to shoot a scene on a desert road, which could have been shot practically on a real desert road. GST was more obsessed with the technology and the access to use it, than making sure to create a story that supported it. I've talked to people involved with the series, I know these tidbits by research, not assumption.

I don't believe casting Justin as the lead was the problem, you can have a good actor like say Samuel L. Jackson be tossed into a cardboard role like Mace Windu in the Star Wars prequels and watch the performance tank. It's in the writing and the direction and clearly it wasn't there in KR08 because the brass didn't care to get what Knight Rider was about and when they did finally start to "get it" they no longer cared to try. For NBCU, Knight Rider was a passing fad that never really fit in with their brand of programming. It was Ben Silverman's idea and when he grew bored with it, so did the brass.

I think the writing dictated the casting and the other characters just didn't have enough depth or purpose to be there save for Graiman. Other than comedy relief and some sexual tension, Zoey and Billy didn't contribute much. Sarah was pretty useless and didn't know what the hell she needed to be until she magically becomes the head of FLAG and I guess matures in accepting that role. Too many cooks in the kitchen as they say. It's like they had to invent reasons to toss the comedic duo in there just to come up with a complete episode because Mike didn't have enough to do on his own with KITT. Why did Ravai need to be around? She was a clone of Torres - they both nagged the crap out of Mike and the gang with beurocratic nonsense. We get it, the FBI controls "Knight Research" which was a glaring mistake from the start. But anyway, you get the idea. The cast could have worked, there was some chemistry there (Except Sydney, I'm sorry but she's a horrible actress in this series.) but they didn't have anything to work with.

If Knight Rider: The Series was on FOX or the CW, I bet we'd have little problem with another season because those networks can take something that's lackluster and still make it work. While FOX is notorious for canceling shows, lately they've been more patient with their programming. Human Target was also lacking, but Fox renewed it anyway - even with a so-so cast (Jackie Earle Haley aside) and hit and miss writing, Fox recognizes the potential there and it ended on a strong season finale. Honestly Human Target is shot and written very much like KR08 but what it does that is different besides not having a talking supercar - is it limits the number of characters and allows the "team" to split up - they're not always stuck in the same place at the same time nagging Chance every moment while he goes out and does his thing. Chance is allowed to be one man who chooses to make a difference - even if he's not as exciting (to me) as James Bond or Michael Knight.

Human Target is by no means perfect nor do I feel it holds a candle to the original action of Knight Rider but clearly it has proven it can go the distance based on character and cast alone and it's been allowed to evolve the storyline so that the characters are given more depth and in that - the actors have more to work with.

I have little doubt "The Cape" won't last long on NBC either, but it has a more fighting chance because it's being billed as a "cop drama" - and that's something Knight Rider clearly was not. It was a brand all its own and in this modern day, Knight Rider has become a ship with nowhere to dock on television and so it remains decommisioned in the network shipyard until someone either comes in to buy and restore the property, or another ten years pass and NBC's regime changes again with studio brass who can recognize Knight Rider's true potential beyond just hocking the latest hi-end sports car on the market. If you're gonna build a show around selling the car, you should actually SELL The car through something called you know, "official merchandise".

Why didn't we get merchandise on a show that clearly has a talking supercar as its star? Was it licensing issues with Shelby? Was it neglect? Was it just greed to spend as little money as possible? Yet, they spent so much money on visual effects and built all these elaborate sets and several "vehicle" modes...yet they couldn't be bothered to release one 1/64 or 1/18 scale officially licensed version of KI3T? Rediculous, absolutely rediculous.

Lastly, Sons of Anarchy has the best of both worlds - it has a killer cast and top notch writing. The creator of the show Kurt Sutter, knows what he's doing and he knows how he wants his characters to feel. He's written the bulk of the episodes on that series (26 episodes). Kurt clearly has a plan for each season, where as GST seemed to be shooting in the dark. You don't see SoA being "reboot" even once.

Another strong show with a good cast and strong writing is True Blood. There are strong writers out there, clearly. The problem is, even with the best writing staff, you're scripts are only going to be as strong as the person leading them - GST should be held responsible for what was allowed to happen, despite how much he passes blame on the network - I fail to see much evidence that showed GST had an established plan that worked from the beginning. What I saw was a series that was rushed to the air and shot and written so quickly, there was no room for improvement. Clearly we can all agree the series needed improvement in order to keep our interest. It wasn't some master plan to kill off Graiman and limit the cast, that was the network's influence which then reflected on the writing.

A solution was reached to improve the writing and the budgetary problems - to bring the elements of Knight Rider back into the modernized vision of Knight Rider - but as I stated before the network chose to let KR08 fail, they chose to hold their own ego above the needs of the audience and in that choice, the inevitable was reached. NBCU cared so little about the show at this point or its audience, they didn't even have the respect to inform you - the audience and the fans that the series was ever cancelled. They just went about their business and kicked everyone who wanted to give this series a fighting chance to survive to the curb. They won't even release a Blu-Ray when their series's biggest "claim to fame" was showing motion picture scale "visual effects" in glorious HD.

So much for all that money poured into shooting things HD - only place you'll get to enjoy that quality now is itunes.

I'm not bragging or gloating here people, I'm telling you the cold hard truth - because at the end of the day whether I agree with the choices made or not, a Knight Rider series off the air endangers the value of the property and that benefits no one. Clearly KR08 had issues but at least it had the potential to succeed, it was just not given the time or patience of another season to turn things around by people who knew what Knight Rider was really about.

In my strong opinion, KR08 wasn't successful because NBCU didn't care to allow it to become successful. They didn't allow outside input, they didn't allow fan input, they didn't make merchandise availible, they didn't release a worthy edition on dvd - they did everything on the cheap because they honestly thought you the audience were expendible along with the many actors they "let go" on the series. They didn't give you or the property respect and when they were bored, they moved on. No thanks for watching, thanks for your support, thanks to KRO for their many exclusive videos with the cast/crew, not even a recognized farewell....they unceremoniously handed the audience a pink-slip and moved on.

Short of being sold to another network, I can absolutely guarantee you that a Knight Rider motion picture of some sort will hit the big screen before the series ever returns to the air. Glen still cares about this property, deeply - while other brass have just lost patience or faith in it.

Clearly Knight Rider today cannot exist as it did back in the 80s. It's a different time with different desires and necessities - different visions of what is hi-tech then and what is hi-tech now. I only hope that fans will understand that the motion picture is trying to meet the fans halfway - as much as logistically possible in our modern era of filmaking where studios would rather view movies as investments rather than creative gambles. I won't deceive you and say that our motion picture is going to be like the original pilot at this point and many of the paths we wish to take are going to be different but I can promise you that you will have Michael Knight, Devon, Wilton, and K.I.T.T. as they should be handled. Same characters, different faces.

Let's hope whatever studio that steps up to make Knight Rider's motion picture a reality has the respect and patience to allow it to succeed and you the fans will give it the chance to succeed. There are many expectations out there that won't be met, they simply don't work today - but there are also other expectations out there that will be met - it is our hope that what we do will be a "game changer" - set the trend, rather than follow one.

=VK=

Nicholas Knight
Operative

Post by Nicholas Knight » Mon May 17, 2010 8:08 pm

I agree with Vic 100%.....They made an awesome series known for it's coolness into a series that tries to be "cool" on so many ways it hurts the franchise is so many ways. It's disappointing.....almost pitiful how Knight Rider was treated. They hyped up the TV movie "Rebirth of an Icon"....which didn't explain what happened to the Main characters like RC3, Bonnie, and even Devon (Ignoring the 2000 Movie). It wasn't explained about the whereabouts of KITT. Then the actually show Trans Am's.......in the freaking dark. Ridiculous. Why show Mike with two girls in a bed, why show Rivai with a girl...Ridiculous. Have Graiman the designer/creator of the original KITT was acceptable. Having Mike's best friend in the TV movie with not many parts....ugh. Sarah's parts was cool. Having the HOFF....wonderful. Having the HOFF say that awesome speech....FREAKIN SWEET. But having HOFF be a "Deadbeat Dad"....stupid. He defended the helpless, the powerless....Why would he abandon a child? I bet the HOFF had a better story idea for the TV Movie...... And why didn't they have the FORD KR Commercials in the DVD as extras?

As for the series.....way too adult, way to Government controlled, way too many people doing the same kinda role (Zoey and Billy being the 'Smart' one, Torres and Rivai being the 'Serious-By the Book' one.) Not consistant with the PILOT (Where did Mike's best friend go? Where did Mike Sr. go?) Mike's past was so screwy, his 'death' stupid. I did like the character modification of Torres when it came to the "KARR" episode. And the overhyped KARR battle......ugh...under 2 minutes....If KARR is to be KI3T's replacement (I know KARR was first, but they was supposed to have him improved) Why doesn't he have NANO's? Then they KILLED off the 'mentor'....so not cool. Have a two episode about a kidnapped ambassador, but don't do a two ep on KARR.....unacceptable. Justin was a great choice for Mike Traceur....

FORD was so much into product placement. (KI3T into FORD vehicles, even "Traceur" came off a Mercury Tracer...Ford's other "Escort".) In the TV movie, Ford wanted the KITT's in the dark, but accepted a chase scene with a Mitsubishi Eclipse, and a Race with A Red SuperCar that definatly wasn't a FORD...

And personally I would've like the Pilot Super Pursuit Mode rather than the Christmas Lights-Fast and Furious Attack Mode.

So many things that didn't make sense in the TV series didn't hurt the people behind the closure of the series, but the FANS, who didn't even get notice that the series was cancelled even if it wasn't as good as we liked. I hope Glen's Movie shows the TRUE BELIEVERS, the FANS, that Knight Rider can be brought in the Right Way, and don't end up in the crappy remakes pile like Dukes of Hazzard.

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Mon May 17, 2010 10:43 pm

I came to the shootin' match with a .22, y'all brought bazookas.

Look, far be it from me to impugn the judgement of folks who feel so passionately about a subject. I was stating my opinion, and I stand by it. Granted, good casting AND good writing would be the preferable situation. But I think that actors with talent can do more to elevate a less-than-stellar script than poorly cast lightweights can do with a good script. And I will back off my assessment of Justin, he was probably the best thing on the show, but it doesn't change my central belief.

Also, I think that writers can elevate their craft when presented with superior acting talent, actually write up-to (or down to) the level of those who deliver their lines.

cazman101
Rookie

Post by cazman101 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:57 am

I'd say it failed because it got so many of the elements wrong. Forget the cast of Characters they got the main character of KITT wrong. He went from being a Cool vehicle, the worlds greatest car to being an Autobot wannabe (with guns)Noooooo!!!!!

they didn't star to correct things until it was too late. the last few episodes in the series were actually getting better "exit light,enter Knight" I think was the best out of the entire run More like that earlier in the season and the show might still be running

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri May 21, 2010 4:50 pm

Shapeshifter wrote: I think that actors with talent can do more to elevate a less-than-stellar script than poorly cast lightweights can do with a good script.
I have a perfect example of that:

David Hasselhoff.

The original Knight Rider did NOT have great writing. It had every cliche in the book. But it WAS a great show. And a huge part of that was Hasselhoff. Had Don Johnson been cast in the role (he was up for it), there is no doubt in my mind the show never would have taken off the way that it did.

(Granted the original show had a lot of other elements in its favor as well, but Hasselhoff absolutely helped elevate the scripts.)
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Sat May 22, 2010 10:26 pm

I agree with you. He did overact at sometimes but he had a feel about him that he did care to stop the bad guys and he truly wanted to help. I loved Kitt of course but I think Hasselhoff's acting and passion to help people really made KR a great show at least for me.
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat