Ertl 1:18 KITT new release?

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

daroga
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Ertl 1:18 KITT new release?

Post by daroga » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:38 pm

KnightRiderKR wrote:
daroga wrote:
KnightRiderKR wrote:Kitt is accurate, KARR is mostly accurate. KARR's scanner is really yellow and conspicuous. Unless Ertl can do this then it's not accurate.
Right, I wasn't ever saying that it was screen-accurate. But your claim that KARR's scanner was the same as KITT's in the models just isn't true. As you can see from KITTfan's post above, the scanner (even unmodified) is clearly yellowish as opposed to being pure red.

On that note, KITTfan, I really like what you did to that scanner. I'm tempted to do the same for both my KARR and KITT. Was it a difficult process?
I would have gone in and replaced the red LED's with yellow ones, probably easy to do if you know wiring.
They're not red. They're yellow / orange.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:15 am

Here are some recent photos I took of my Aoshima 1/18 KITT and KARR... The scanner on KARR in particular looks fairly screen accurate to me :good: Note also that Aoshima's KARR was released at the same time with KITT in 2004 (http://www.hlj.com/product/AOS07325), long before ERTL released their version of KARR. ERTL's version of KARR was kinda half hearted and rushed in my opinion coz for some strange reason, it was missing a KARR license plate... Aoshima's KARR came with the license plate.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:59 am

Damn! KARR looks like a million bucks. I hope they rerelease them. Can you take video of KARR's sensor I'd love to see that bad boy.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:25 am

KnightRiderKR wrote:Damn! KARR looks like a million bucks. I hope they rerelease them. Can you take video of KARR's sensor I'd love to see that bad boy.
Ask and you shall receive :lol: Here you go >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqZEwTFK9jE

Please rate it by the way if you have an account with YouTube.. :)

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:27 am

imranbecks wrote:
KnightRiderKR wrote:Damn! KARR looks like a million bucks. I hope they rerelease them. Can you take video of KARR's sensor I'd love to see that bad boy.
Ask and you shall receive :lol: Here you go >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqZEwTFK9jE

Thank you, I very much appreciate that. Now I can see what trifling a-holes Ertl are being lazy like that. I really do hope Aoshima rereleases this and KITT I'll get them both. Thanks for making the video, see thats a perfect shade of KARR sensor yellow. I see the Ertl KARR having an orange sensor but the kind of person I am I prefer they did a 100% accurate yellow sensor like Aoshima did.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:16 am

KnightRiderKR wrote:
imranbecks wrote:

Thank you, I very much appreciate that. Now I can see what trifling a-holes Ertl are being lazy like that. I really do hope Aoshima rereleases this and KITT I'll get them both. Thanks for making the video, see thats a perfect shade of KARR sensor yellow. I see the Ertl KARR having an orange sensor but the kind of person I am I prefer they did a 100% accurate yellow sensor like Aoshima did.
Really? I had no idea the scanner on the ERTL KARR looks different with the Aoshima version... ERTL probably used different LED's..

As for a re-release of both the 1/18 KITT and KARR, I highly doubt it coz Aoshima basically got the mold of KITT from ERTL. Back then in 2004, they got the KITT mold from ERTL, printed the GOODYEAR words on the tyres, repainted some of the batches into KARR, changed the scanner etc.. And sold them as KARR alongside KITT. But the thing now is that ERTL has since stop producing the Knight Rider models, so I'm not sure where Aoshima wld be getting the mold from if they were to have a re-release. Such a pity coz how I wld love to have seen a 1/18 diecast convertible KITT if ERTL had kept the license. Unless Aoshima wld one day make their own diecast mold of KITT in 1/18.. Though its unlikely as they seem to be focusing more on 1/24 model kits and 1/43 scale models.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:29 pm

Well Ertl rereleased KITT recently, it has the white/silver dotless fog lights. Since the new show is out there is renewed interest in the classic show so therefore they'll keep being rereleased over the years.

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:42 am

Hey Guys

I think the pictures on ebay are different because peaople want to make fast money with Knight Rider because the new series. My version was different and all new clear fog light on the car was silver and not clear like on the picture. That was not fair, *?$#. There is no new ertl release. If it is check out

http://www.hollywood-diecast.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here you get all new news about whats coming up on the market

Josch
There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:08 pm

Josch Schulz wrote:Hey Guys

I think the pictures on ebay are different because peaople want to make fast money with Knight Rider because the new series. My version was different and all new clear fog light on the car was silver and not clear like on the picture. That was not fair, *?$#. There is no new ertl release. If it is check out

http://www.hollywood-diecast.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here you get all new news about whats coming up on the market

Josch
His info is slightly incorrect, JL made a ton of the chrome 84 Trans Ams. It was part of their line last year. Maybe 150 with the Knight Rider festival case. Yeah there was a re-release Todd from diecastmusclecars.com got a case in a couple months ago. Either Ertl has a warehouse full of KR cars or they are re-releasing the molds from time to time.

REMINATOR
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by REMINATOR » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:17 pm

BlackKitt wrote:This is the newest rerelease of Ertl KITT. I'm not gonna bother trying to get every single version that's too much of a hassle. My Aoshima/Skynet KITT has vents for foglights.

This is the version that I got today from the mail!

So let me clarify guys, the 6 white fog lights on ERTL 1/18 KITT does not have a working light right? I saw on Youtube which has a working fog lights and I though mine was defected. This my first ERTL KITT, so I don't too much about the figure or variation.

EDIT:
1.I noticed there are 2 switches at the bottom of KITT, but they both activated only the red scanner. Is that normal?
2.How do you retract the grapple/hook back in?

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi man, welcome to the boards.. Congrats on a good buy! The 1/18 ERTL KITT model never had working fog lights. The one you saw on YouTube was modified with LED's such that the fog lights light up. By default, the only light that works is the red scanner. The two buttons underneath, one is for the scanner to light up for a few seconds, the other button is for the scanner to light up permanently... Do post some photos of your model!

REMINATOR
Stranger

Post by REMINATOR » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:50 pm

Thanks for welcoming Imranbecks.
Well, I finally finished photographing and writing a review about my newly 1/18 KITT. Thanks to this board and some researches online for the 1/18 KITT variations pictures. Hopefully, you guys wouldn't mind if I used the pics. This way, new buyers wouldn't be clueless just like me the first time I had the 1/18 KITT. I didn't realize there a chase figure of KITT in an all silver-chrome. I'm more of a Transformers fan, so I don't too much about Knight Rider figures. Anyhow, here is my 1/18 KITT pics (R-0 to R-9), feel free to correct me if any information is not corrected especially the dates on R-10 section:
http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/reminator4 ... tt1-18.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:59 am

That was very good and detailed review of this model :)

Few things I noticed:
Variation 1: Made by ERTL, Released in 1983
ERTL did have diecast KITT models in early 80's all right, but the one in question now (ERTL Joyride) was first released in 2004. I don't think the 1983 KITT had working scanner for instance.
Sometime KITT is referred as the "Black T-Top" in the show but never as a "Firebird Trans-Am"
In the 1st season KITT was referred as a Trans-Am or Pontiac few times for instance in Trust Doesn't Rust and Inside Out episodes. Later KITT was indeed called a "black T-top".
For those fans that are really nitpicky to the show, ERTL has 3 minor flaws.
During the years I've had this model (from 2004) I've noticed a "few" more flaws but I still like this model very much. Many of the flaws can be fixed if you have some model detailing skills.
Would be nice if they'd update the model and make it even more accurate to the show, perhaps even with some additional electronics for fog-, tail and dash lights, KITT sounds would be cool too :)

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:24 am

ERTL did have diecast KITT models in early 80's all right, but the one in question now (ERTL Joyride) was first released in 2004. I don't think the 1983 KITT had working scanner for instance.
Not realy, there was a readio controled KITT from Ertl with a working Scanner :mrgreen: :good:

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:03 am

REMINATOR wrote:Thanks for welcoming Imranbecks.
Well, I finally finished photographing and writing a review about my newly 1/18 KITT. Thanks to this board and some researches online for the 1/18 KITT variations pictures. Hopefully, you guys wouldn't mind if I used the pics. This way, new buyers wouldn't be clueless just like me the first time I had the 1/18 KITT. I didn't realize there a chase figure of KITT in an all silver-chrome. I'm more of a Transformers fan, so I don't too much about Knight Rider figures. Anyhow, here is my 1/18 KITT pics (R-0 to R-9), feel free to correct me if any information is not corrected especially the dates on R-10 section:
http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/reminator4 ... tt1-18.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Excellent detailed review!!!! The best I've seen!!! I noticed you used my photos of my 1/18 KARR model in the KARR section of your review :D I'm glad u did :good:

REMINATOR
Stranger

Post by REMINATOR » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:14 am

Thanks for the correction KITTfan, I'll make the changes.

For the KITT chase car Silver-Chrome version, any idea what the fog light looks light or what year it was released?

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:04 pm

I don't think variation 4 was ever released was it? I remember discussions on here, but never saw a picture of anyone with the real thing. The chrome chase had 3 silver lamps without dots.

What they did was use clear lamps with chrome backing (clear amber for outers)
People complained that KITT never had amber lights so they just sprayed the clear lamps silver from behind (the chrome backing was still there), but this left the black dot from where the lens is fixed to the chrome backing.
Due to complaints about the black dots, they did a casting change, the 3 openings where the lamps where fixed to the chrome backing was filled and flat clear, silver painted from behind lenses were used.

TurboBoostMan
Operative

Post by TurboBoostMan » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:09 pm

can someone give me a website where i can buy this ERTL 1:18 scale KITT model? for a cheap price(under $50) and where I dont have to use a credit card. where I can call over the phone and order it? PLEASE?
"One Man Can Make A Difference" - Wilton Knight

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:04 pm

i could sell you mine (joy ride 1st issue) i have the box and the mounting tray with the dents on the side so you have access to the try me and the on/off button. Make me an offer ;).

:good:
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:17 am

I have 2 KITTs. 1 from Skynet and from Ertl and both have Custom Made parts. Here is my KITT from SKYNET:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Its very hard to create cars like that but its possible but today everybody wants to make fast money so everything is very cheep produced. Anyway, you can do you KITT car if you have the time and the money but 2 of these cars are enough and belive me you lost your last nerv when you update one :roll:

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:19 pm

well the only thing i did to MY KITT was removed the clutch pedal which is NOT used in a car with auto transmission :P.

TurboBoostMan
Operative

Post by TurboBoostMan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:56 pm

Dave Knight wrote:i could sell you mine (joy ride 1st issue) i have the box and the mounting tray with the dents on the side so you have access to the try me and the on/off button. Make me an offer ;).

:good:
well first i have to know a couple of things.
1. how old is it?
2. are there any markings such as dents or scratches?

how about $25? :karr: :kitt:

TurboBoostMan
Operative

Post by TurboBoostMan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:58 pm

and one more thing. Is anything broken on it?

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:52 pm

it is an original issue with the orange outer lights in the front bumper. one mirror snapped off but i glued it on with a very strong glue i use for gluing stuff that has metal parts, and you cannot even see where it broke off ;). I have used it for years and i have never had a part that was glued with it fall off. the mirror fell off over a year ago. the only other thing i see is slight scuff in the paint on the roof on the right side between the right t top and the rear hatch. I am sure it can be polished out using a car wax or future floor cleaner, and there is a small chip in the back bumper to the left of the KNIGHT plate. Other than that, oh and he needs new batteries he is in great shape. I was planning on taking him apart and repainting the body shell with fresh gloss black and re do the interior as the rear area has black 'carpet' instead of tan like the rest of the car.

hard to tell in the photo but it is there, i touched it up with a fine tip sharpie black pen.

like i said he is not in MINT cond but he is not broken, scanner DOES light up when new batteries are in it.

TurboBoostMan
Operative

Post by TurboBoostMan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:37 am

I'll think about it and let u know. :spmgo: