Pics of my completed exterior 4th season replica

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KittCARR
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Pics of my completed exterior 4th season replica

Post by KittCARR » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:33 am

Hey Everyone

I just wanted to share some pics of my completed 4th season exterior replica. It took me about 4 years to get it where it is right now, and I am really happy with the results so far.

The car was gone for 14 weeks while the paint and body was taken care of.....a long wait indeed.

Here are the pics, enjoy:

Joey.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3236658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Re: Pics of my completed exterior 4th season replica

Post by tamatt27 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:11 pm

Looks awesome! The paint looks clean as glass too! 8)
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:47 am

PERFECTION into the last detail is what I call it!
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:55 am

Looks great,but didn't kitt have a rubber line on his doors? I forgot what they called it.

stelios_z28
FLAG Recruit

Post by stelios_z28 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:27 am

PERFECTO!!!!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:39 am

It looks like it was worth the wait! Beautiful car. I always liked the fourth season nose the best. :good:
:kitt:
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

KittCARR
Recruit

Post by KittCARR » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:39 pm

Thanks for the great comments everyone, I really appreciate it.

Knight Racer, yes, you are correct about the side molding. I had it ready to put on, but as the body guy was applying it to the passenger door, he accidentally put it on a little off center, and it pulled the paint right off. That set me back a few weeks. So I decided to let the paint cure (even over the winter months), and have it applied next season.

I have the original side molding, it just needs to be cleaned up and repainted.

I'm currently on the hunt for original tan door panels:)

Thanks again everyone.

Joey.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3236658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:54 pm

Two questions Joey.

First, are those 14 or 15 inch hub caps?

Second, what type of black paint is that exactly? Is it metallic or gloss (don't think it's pearcelent)? Solid black?

Thanks and once again great job!
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

KittCARR
Recruit

Post by KittCARR » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:27 pm

The wheels and caps are both 15". The tires size is the factory size, 215 65 15. To be honest, I was very happy to get the 14" wheels off the car :D . The caps were painted the same colour as the car, but they were not wet sanded.

The paint is a clear coat/base coat. There is no pearl, and no metallic, just a gloss black. The complete body was wet sanded, buffed, and polished.....which is why it was gone for over three months.

Hope that helps out. if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask away:)

Joey.

Stuntman Lee
Rookie

Post by Stuntman Lee » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:36 pm

Splendid job there! :good:
Love child of The Hoff.

manaras
Volunteer

Post by manaras » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:09 pm

it is just perfect my friend.it looks great.i am from greece and the only way to see kitt is my pc monitor.

:kitt:

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:47 pm

KittCARR wrote:The wheels and caps are both 15". The tires size is the factory size, 215 65 15. To be honest, I was very happy to get the 14" wheels off the car :D . The caps were painted the same colour as the car, but they were not wet sanded.

The paint is a clear coat/base coat. There is no pearl, and no metallic, just a gloss black. The complete body was wet sanded, buffed, and polished.....which is why it was gone for over three months.

Hope that helps out. if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask away:)

Joey.
Yeah, I think 15 inch is what they used in the series. Are those hard to find? I recall hearing that a while back; although, I can't seem to remember the source.

Regarding the body paint, you say they did a base coat in gloss black but aren't you suppose to have some kind of base coat before you apply the final paint (the solid gloss black) and make that two layers of paint? It also gives you a better protection against rust and corrosion.

KittCARR
Recruit

Post by KittCARR » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:05 pm

The wheels can be difficult to find, and expensive too. I was lucky in that when I bought my car, the owner had the original 15" rims, and two 15" caps. Ebay provided the last two caps:)

The high prices come especially when the seller knows about knight rider. I originally bought a complete set of 14" rims and caps, as I couldn't find 15".

As far as the body goes, the entire body was sanded down, and any body work work done, such as plugging up the antenna hole, repairing a few rust spots, and plugging up the fender holes. Then the initial primer was laid down. Once that was dry, the entire body was wet sanded.

Once the body was all straight, it went in for final primer (sealer). Then approximately 4-5 coats of black was applied, and approximately 5-6 coats of clear. The reason for all the clear was because the entire body was entirely wet sanded, and a few coats of clear gets removed, but leaves a really amazing finish.

The body was wet sanded with 1200 grit first, then 2000 grit sanded paper, buffed, then polished. I also asked for a new windshield:)

Joey.

daroga
Rookie

Post by daroga » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:13 pm

Stunning!

May I ask what it cost to have all that paint and body work done over those 14 weeks? I can't imagine it was cheap!

KittCARR
Recruit

Post by KittCARR » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:43 pm

Ya, no problem. I've known the paint and body guy for years, so he gave me a really good deal. With a new windshield at my request, I paid $3160.00.

Although, as he was polishing my hood he admitted to me that what he did to my car was a $5000-$6000 paint job, so I feel very lucky.

Joey.