The new turbo boosts

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

The new turbo boosts

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:09 am

First of all, I'm sure we're all thrilled that turbo boosting is back. And to make things even better, the KR logo under KITT is gone!
kr_turbo_logo.jpg
kr_turbo_logo.jpg (45.28 KiB) Viewed 22683 times
But as we all know, nobody gets a free ride around here so maybe the fx guys can shed some light on this: I missed seeing the complete cycle of the jump. The launch, the soaring through the air, a few reaction shots, the landing. We didn't get to see the take-off with either jump, and I think that's very important when telling the "story" of a turbo boost.

I'm still holding out hope to see a single-shot turbo boost, launch-cruise-landing, without edits, at some point. And as cheesey as it may be, and this is probably more for the feature film, I want to see a mid-air bullet-time jump.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Re: The new turbo boosts

Post by trissybabes » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:25 am

There was a really nice Turbo Boost at the end of the VFX guy's showreel on their website that was posted up before Christmas - has anyone got a link to it anywhere still???

We saw KI3T coming down the road, boosting off the ground and flying over some construction work or something...

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:40 am

THANK GOD that stupid KR logo is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:41 am

I think that I may have been the only one to like the KR on the bottom of KITT. I know that it was considered corny but to me it had pizzazz. Now it's just like any other kick plate on any other car? Unremarkable.

As per the whole jump Turbo Boost, I would love that also....
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

Knightfan82
Rookie

Post by Knightfan82 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:42 am

Kaine wrote:THANK GOD that stupid KR logo is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed. That Logo was a bit too much.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:25 am

Yeah I was disappointed with the turbo boost also.

It did seem like a cheap cop-out, and there's even one shot which looked incredibly fake.

I was pleased to see the classic Micheal being thrown around as they landed though :D
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:59 am

Granted, this isnt a very clear pic but it looks like the logo magically re-appears on the jump out of the prison
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (38.83 KiB) Viewed 22526 times

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:32 am

My_Friend_KITT wrote:I think that I may have been the only one to like the KR on the bottom of KITT. I know that it was considered corny but to me it had pizzazz. Now it's just like any other kick plate on any other car? Unremarkable.
Hmm.... To me, a car flying through the air is not what i would call 'unremarkable' and how often does a person see the underside of ANY car unless you are a mechanic...??

Turbo boost is cool, we just need ski mode back now... :D

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:08 am

And I'd still like to have some sort of sound effect when KITT is actually launching.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

Drifty
Rookie

Post by Drifty » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:40 am

pheonix_knight wrote:
My_Friend_KITT wrote:I think that I may have been the only one to like the KR on the bottom of KITT. I know that it was considered corny but to me it had pizzazz. Now it's just like any other kick plate on any other car? Unremarkable.
Hmm.... To me, a car flying through the air is not what i would call 'unremarkable' and how often does a person see the underside of ANY car unless you are a mechanic...??

I think Ki3t has the Ski-Mode program. In the scene where you see him going through his weapon choice to take out the 3 Russians, I'm sure I saw Ski Mode pop up. Just an observation.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:56 am

Drifty wrote: I think Ki3t has the Ski-Mode program. In the scene where you see him going through his weapon choice to take out the 3 Russians, I'm sure I saw Ski Mode pop up. Just an observation.
I know its in the list of functions but as yet has not made it on screen...

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:03 am

Why put a logo of the secret organization on the underside of a car when you know its going to jump anyway...??

Ki3t should be completely unmarked like the usual government vehicles

I know this is 10 episodes late for mentioning this but it was worth mentioning...

D'oh!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:16 pm

Technically it's not gone, just covered up from what it looks like. :P But it being covered up is good enough for me.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Lexicon
Operative

Post by Lexicon » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:46 pm

It just looks like a VFX goof to me or perhaps a not quite finished shot made it in there. Sometimes those things happen when time is critical.

K.R.O
Volunteer

Post by K.R.O » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:06 pm

I for one thought the turbo boost looked somewhat cheesy. The logo on the bottom of the frame has got to go...bad enuff it's on the seat covers.
Prepare to neutralize

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:14 pm

I'm no fan of that "KR" logo myself, but to me it's much more important to see a 'complete' turbo boost as Michael pointed out. Normally never seeing one long continuous shot never bothered me, because I don't believe even the original series showed more than one or two. But I thought the most current boost was horribly edited. I thought it was edited so badly that it completely took out any excitement or believability of a turbo boost.

If you notice just how high that Mustang was flying through the air and how gentle of a landing it was coupled with Mike's barely phased reaction, I didn't buy it at all. Put some damn sound effects in there or something at least. I realize they can't jump real Mustangs and afford to destroy them, but the members of this board do much better editing in their homemade YouTube videos.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:20 pm

"barely phased?" I thought he was really bouncing around in there.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

Stealthwalker
Operative

Post by Stealthwalker » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:44 pm

Kaine wrote:THANK GOD that stupid KR logo is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree :good: !!! & also "thank God" they stopped the whole special effect of the engine inside K.I3.T. when he's about to "Turbo Boost".
Stealthwalker aka "Tha Lone Crusader"

"We Meet Again". As quoted by Garthe Knight in "Goliath & Goliath Returns"

Luis
Rookie

Post by Luis » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:57 pm

Yeah, we can't forget that the logo + blue flames + engine shot were MAIN problems in KR2008 turbo boosts. I'm happy those are gone.

All they need now is the continuous shot Michael is talking about. I said the same thing on the chat room yesterday.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:05 pm

Lost Knight wrote:I'm no fan of that "KR" logo myself, but to me it's much more important to see a 'complete' turbo boost as Michael pointed out. Normally never seeing one long continuous shot never bothered me, because I don't believe even the original series showed more than one or two. But I thought the most current boost was horribly edited. I thought it was edited so badly that it completely took out any excitement or believability of a turbo boost.

If you notice just how high that Mustang was flying through the air and how gentle of a landing it was coupled with Mike's barely phased reaction, I didn't buy it at all. Put some damn sound effects in there or something at least. I realize they can't jump real Mustangs and afford to destroy them, but the members of this board do much better editing in their homemade YouTube videos.
I guess it's possible that they had to use shots from previous Turbo boosts to make this shot in a hurry.

But I really can't help thinking that this was done just to shut the fans up... like they felt they had to include a turbo boost to keep us happy, but really don't care about it.

Knightfan82
Rookie

Post by Knightfan82 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:11 pm

pheonix_knight wrote:

Ski mode would be cool, but is it possible to put a new vehical on two wheels? I've never seen it done. Of course, they could just use a CGI KITT for ski mode.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:23 pm

Ski Mode was shown on the screen in the Halloween episode. KITT DOES have it, and I think they said he's going to use it in the KARR battle.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:30 pm

Why would a new vehicle be any different to an old vehicle?

KITT Season 4
Rookie

Post by KITT Season 4 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:04 pm

trissybabes wrote:There was a really nice Turbo Boost at the end of the VFX guy's showreel on their website that was posted up before Christmas - has anyone got a link to it anywhere still???

We saw KI3T coming down the road, boosting off the ground and flying over some construction work or something...
If you look care fully you can see the siren on top. Im guessing its next episode.
As for the KR logo, i liked it but it looks waaaaaay nicer without it.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 pm

I think it actually would look MUCH more convincing if perhaps they showed the bottom of the car with actual car undercarraige as oppose to that turtle shell looking underside. In other words, the car itself looks fake.