How Could It Have Been? The David Andron KR Topic

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

How Could It Have Been? The David Andron KR Topic

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:58 pm

I've been wondering what the series of the new Knight Rider would have been if David Andron's pilot had served as the true foundation of the series, instead of it being motly retconned.
Because something I've noticed recently is that people have gone back and looked at the pilot from Feb in a new light after watching the new series and have mostly started saying that in looking back, it wasnt that bad, all things considered.

But, not even thinking about the GST version (which i still do love), how do you guys think the show would have been like?
What missions do you think would have been done?
Would Turbo-boost have come back because of fan-demand?
Would the FBI/Govt be involved in the same way?
Would we see KI3T learn, or would he have been like KI2T (in that he already had a human-like manner)?
Would Charles have been the new Devon?

I wonder what the episodes would have been like, if the production would have looked the same from the pilot. If they would reuse the RC-KI3T.

All these questions are jumping round my head. Anyone wonderin thins too?
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Re: How Could It Have Been? The David Andron KR Topic

Post by knightprobe89 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:36 pm

i think it would have been a lot better if they stuck with the pilot version of kr08, i like the original transformations with the nano skin, i dont like the currant transformations too robotic. i like the steering wheel from the pilot hopefully they go back to using that steering wheel, i also like the center console voice modulator and monitor from the pilot, i dont like the globe modulator and i dont like the heads up display on the windshield from the series. i like the attack mustang from the pilot with the blacked out rims, i dont like the attack mustang from the series it's too bulky and over the top. also what ever happened to the remote control car and the stunt car with the drivers cage on the roof, it seems like they never use it in the series because we never see kitt driving by himself. i would like to see a lot more scenes with kitt driving by himself like they showed in the pilot. if they would have stuck with the pilot version and added a lot of turbo boosts and other crazy stunts the series would defanitely be doing a lot better than it is now.
in glen larson we trust.

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:40 pm

knightprobe89 wrote:i think it would have been a lot better if they stuck with the pilot version of kr08, i like the original transformations with the nano skin, i dont like the currant transformations too robotic. i like the steering wheel from the pilot hopefully they go back to using that steering wheel, i also like the center console voice modulator and monitor from the pilot, i dont like the globe modulator and i dont like the heads up display on the windshield from the series. i like the attack mustang from the pilot with the blacked out rims, i dont like the attack mustang from the series it's too bulky and over the top.also what ever happened to the remote control car and the stunt car with the drivers cage on the roof it seems like they never use it in the series. i would like to see a lot more scenes with kitt driving by himself like they showed in the pilot. if they would have stuck with the pilot version and added a lot of turbo boosts and other crazy stunts the series would defanitely be doing a lot better than it is now.
i find it funny that i asked people to not even think of the GTS version, and yet all you did was compare the two....
sooooooooooooooo missed the point
Put the word out!

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:30 am

But, not even thinking about the GST version (which i still do love), how do you guys think the show would have been like? It might have been closer to the mark...

What missions do you think would have been done? They would have done larger missions, i.e. going around in the C-140... It might have been a way to gain more viewers oversees, ala KR 82.

Would Turbo-boost have come back because of fan-demand? Turbo Boost was left out because of the Writer's Strike...i'm betting it would have come back...ps, Knight of the Phoenix didn't really have Turbo Boost per say either... ;)

Would the FBI/Govt be involved in the same way? I think you would have seen more of Carrie's character develop. She would have been more like Devon, handing out the missions. See below for Charles...

Would we see KI3T learn, or would he have been like KI2T (in that he already had a human-like manner)? KI3T seemed to have some programming in place. The Blue toned Psychology module (talking with Sarah about death...), that wasn't just something that came together right then and there. I think you would have seen KI3T evolve over time...much the same way KI2T did.

Would Charles have been the new Devon? I think that Charles would have been the bureaucratic board member we'd see periodically, but not as prominent. They really should have left him out of the whole "I'm getting the band back together" statement thing...He just created KI3T, not Managed him...

I wonder what the episodes would have been like, if the production would have looked the same from the pilot. If they would reuse the RC-KI3T. I think we would have seen more stories closer in vein to the original, but still with the nano twist.

All these questions are jumping round my head. Anyone wonderin thins too? I only wish we could have been more vocal about what we were looking for in a new KR. Now it's just making lemonaide out of lemons.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:08 am

WIBoomer1 wrote:ps, Knight of the Phoenix didn't really have Turbo Boost per say either... ;)
What Knight of the Phoenix did you watch? I count at least 3 from memory. (Demolition Derby, through one truck, over another)
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:53 am

As much as I'm tempted to say that the nanotechnology would have retained the morphing approach, I believe Ford's influence would have led to the more Transformers-style approach in order to exploit and promote their other vehicles. I also believe we would have no doubt seen a smoother connection between the backdoor pilot and series, and have gotten ACTUAL ANSWERS by now as to what the multiple Trans Ams and Knight 2000 parts were really doing in Graiman's garage. Yes, the original concept was for the Knight 3000 to have some of the Knight 2000's parts installed which is why I think the scene even existed at all, but Dave Andron would have no doubt written around that to cater to the more newly established script.

Judging from the style of the backdoor pilot and taking into account the fact that there was no opportunity for real changes (other than cuts), I do believe we would have seen a more logical, albeit 'watered-down,' approach to the series. Turbo Boost would likely have been implemented because it was not able to be the first time around. But I feel that the continuity would have been much better because Andron supposedly watched EVERY episode of the original series and tried paying as close attention to the continuity as possible. Granted, the character of Charles Graiman alone is a big enough plot contrivance in & of himself, but the writers could have ran with it in a more graceful way than simply ignoring things and ultimately killing him off. There no doubt would have been the mentality of needing to make improvements, but I think it would have been a lot more practical than emphasizing sexuality and naked 20-somethings at every possible moment.

I believe we would have had a less Baywatch-esque series and a more down to Earth one (and that doesn't mean unexciting). If the Writers Strike never happened and NBC had the opportunity to improve the backdoor pilot, that final product would have probably been what the series would become. For that reason I don't think it's completely fair to crucify Andron's writing or the backdoor pilot itself, but the general public doesn't care why it was lackluster; they just care that it was lackluster.

NBC tried listening and their idea to fix the backdoor pilot problems was to go with somebody else entirely as opposed to giving the original writer a real chance as showrunner. I can't really blame them because while it's risky, we can't say that it was really a bonehead move before anything was even filmed. It's easier to say in retrospect after witnessing missteps, but the choice of Gary Scott Thompson could very well have been a mistake.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:31 am

It’s funny cause I can’t really imagine KR now without Billy or Zoe or all the VFX. But I do wonder where Andron would have taken it. The pilot was so open ended that really anything could happen. We had yet to see what their headquarters would look like or how a mission would work. The possibilities so intrigued me at the time that I started a screenplay. That’s not really going to tell you what Andron would have done, but it will tell you what I would have done anyway. (Here I’ll torment you all with it again :mrgreen: )
viewtopic.php?f=1046&t=11444&p=135541#p136347" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But as for Andron, I wonder how much of the back story of Mikes past (that we see in his later episodes) was planed out at the time of the pilot?
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:17 am

Well the show definetly would not have been any worse then it is now.
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:11 am

The show would have had less T & A, certainly.

I think KITT's evolution would have pretty much as it has been, as a learning AI. There would have been fewer characters of course, and less government-inspired missions; more in spirit like the original, and more, I gather, like the last few episodes will be. Charles would have been a more complete character and would have played a bigger role.

Turbo boost has always been a problem, because they couldn't afford to crash cars. Maybe in these last episodes the CGI will be better, but Andron would have had the same challenges.

If you want a sense of what Andron would have done with the show, re-watch episode 4, and stay tuned for episodes 11 and 16.

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:11 pm

cloudkitt wrote:
WIBoomer1 wrote:ps, Knight of the Phoenix didn't really have Turbo Boost per say either... ;)
What Knight of the Phoenix did you watch? I count at least 3 from memory. (Demolition Derby, through one truck, over another)
Just pulled out the DVD, and the Demo Derby one, there was no mention on how KITT jumped it. Through the truck, KITT said, may i suggest using the Turbo Boost, Michael was like, What???, and KITT auto-Turboed...and the last one, well, you got me :oops:

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:23 pm

WIBoomer1 wrote:
cloudkitt wrote:
Just pulled out the DVD, and the Demo Derby one, there was no mention on how KITT jumped it. Through the truck, KITT said, may i suggest using the Turbo Boost, Michael was like, What???, and KITT auto-Turboed...and the last one, well, you got me :oops:
The commentator on the 'demolition derby' says "a bump in the road caused the Trans Am to go airborne..."
That is a weird scene though because MK asks 'Buddy' if he's ready just before the jump although at that stage he hadnt been introduced to the TB function....

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:21 am

Faithful Car KRO wrote:
knightprobe89 wrote:i think it would have been a lot better if they stuck with the pilot version of kr08, i like the original transformations with the nano skin, i dont like the currant transformations too robotic. i like the steering wheel from the pilot hopefully they go back to using that steering wheel, i also like the center console voice modulator and monitor from the pilot, i dont like the globe modulator and i dont like the heads up display on the windshield from the series. i like the attack mustang from the pilot with the blacked out rims, i dont like the attack mustang from the series it's too bulky and over the top.also what ever happened to the remote control car and the stunt car with the drivers cage on the roof it seems like they never use it in the series. i would like to see a lot more scenes with kitt driving by himself like they showed in the pilot. if they would have stuck with the pilot version and added a lot of turbo boosts and other crazy stunts the series would defanitely be doing a lot better than it is now.
i find it funny that i asked people to not even think of the GTS version, and yet all you did was compare the two....
ok, let me make it easier for you! the gst version sucks! the david andron version would have been a lot better. and oh excuse me for not answering your lame topic the way that you want! sorry for soooooooooooooo missing your lame point. :evil:
in glen larson we trust.

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:51 am

knightprobe89 wrote:
Faithful Car KRO wrote:
ok, let me make it easier for you! the gst version sucks! the david andron version would have been a lot better. and oh excuse me for not answering your lame topic the way that you want! sorry for soooooooooooooo missing your lame point. :evil:
ok, i dont care that you dont like the GST version of the show...
i was trying to make atleast one topic in this forum that no one would bash this show in.
i made the post, i should atleast know what i wanted the topic to be about
and if you thought it was a lame topic why did you even post in it?
dear devon, KR08 bashers are getting more lame and redundant everyday...
Put the word out!

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:40 am

i dont care that what you think either!, i was trying to be nice about kr08 the pilot and series version by giving my opinion about the diffrences , but you had to insult my post reply , so right back at you!
in glen larson we trust.