Drawing KITT

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Drawing KITT

Post by Knight2000 » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:21 am

Anyone got a how-to-draw KITT guide? Or even guidelines. Mine always come out buggered and I don't know why (I know it ain't me) or is he just hard to draw. Everything gets okay until I have to do the nose bit, from the scanner forwards.

Any help is appreciated. Greatly.

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Drawing KITT

Post by Matthew » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:34 am

Its not just you. I can't tell you how hard i find it to finish drawing kitt. I know i'm not a brilliant artist, but Kitt is definatly what im best at, and the nose always causes me problems. What i started doing was using a picture of Kitt and tracing the nose. I would then draw him at the same kind of angle as the picture. It worked for me, so it might work for you. The only problem is you need a really good picture. I traced arround pitures in the KR annuals that i've had since i was a kid. If you've got any of them, then its worth a try.

[ October 17, 2002: Message edited by: Matthew ]

Newcastle knight
Operative

Drawing KITT

Post by Newcastle knight » Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:57 pm

All i can say is, practice practice practice ! lol

I started drawing KITT about 3 years ago, and ive been drawing him ever since. and i can knock up a pretty good drawing if im properly trying. and thats from the front, back, side etc, and i like drawing the dash aswell.

I just looked at the pictures while drawing them to start off with then i gradually got away from them and do them from memory now.

but no way are my drawings picture perfect, you should talk too Sarfraz and Catt of the garage about it, ive seen their stuff and it rocks !

scott

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Drawing KITT

Post by K.I.T.T » Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:19 pm

Hey Scott

I want to know when we can get to see some of your drawings!!!!!....You seem to have a good nack at it by your description!!! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

K.I.T.T

Newcastle knight
Operative

Drawing KITT

Post by Newcastle knight » Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:39 pm

I havnt got a scanner ! otherwise id happily post my stuff. I guess i could ask my mate to scan some drawings in for me.

When we had that meet up a while ago i brought my stuff along, so some people have seen them, but they were just put too shame when Catt got her sketch pad out, lol, that girl can really draw!

scott

rusti_knight
Operative

Drawing KITT

Post by rusti_knight » Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:33 pm

*slaps all your wrists* No tracing! No! Bad! You'll never get it down that way. Find pictures of the Kittster from all angles. Practice drawing them (DON'T trace) until you feel comfortable with them all, then try without your reference guide.

Kitt's lines always feel fairly smooth and easy to my hand, but then, I've been doing this art thing of and on for fifteen years.

Take your time, you won't be fantastic in a night, and you are your own worst critic. Only time and practice, and nothing more.

Rusti

Skav
FLAG Operative

Drawing KITT

Post by Skav » Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:12 am

I drew KITT once. I drew him from the picture on the front box cover of KOTJ when it was originally released.

I have to say, even when he was in SPM in that pic, it was kinda easy for me to do. And it was a "front angle" drawing too.

I guess some people find it harder than others. No shame in that [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Skav

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Drawing KITT

Post by K.I.T.T » Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:55 am

I have tried countless times to draw KITT, and i must say it looked pretty crap when i was done lol
I think I would go with Matthew on this, to do a trace of the out line of kitt just the out line of the body, then hand draw the out line out yourself till you get it to how you want it, then add the rest,..It may be a form of cheating ..but its a start.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Drawing KITT

Post by sarfraz » Sat Oct 19, 2002 3:58 am

Thanks for the compliment Scott.

You know, it simply is about practice. There are a few things that can help though.

I used to generalise KITT in basic shapes (triangles, cubes etc) and develop the shape from that. Apparently thats an old artist technique (which has a name?) but I've been doing that since I was about 5. The other thing I suggest is you make a grid on your reference material, you can get clear grid sheets from art shops so you don't have to ruin any photos. Then do the same grid on your drawing paper. You should now be able to use the grid lines as reference to the image your drawing.

Rusti's right though, you'll be your worst critic. It doesn't really help that theres siginificant diffences between noses and dashes. Trying sticking until you feel comfortable.

You can, start from the nose and draw your way to the back of the car. That usually helps me as the detailing is trickier at the front in my opinion

Hope that helps
Sarfraz

[ October 19, 2002: Message edited by: sarfraz ]

Amianda
Volunteer

Drawing KITT

Post by Amianda » Sun Oct 20, 2002 5:42 pm

I have only gotten one pic of kitt to ever come out right, and that was looking at the crappy pic of him that's on the kr sleeping bag i've got. its a front end shot showing the nose and the hood and the front windshield mainly...but it was great. Never been able to draw him right since then, but cars aren't my forte.

--Amianda
A Different Perspective

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Drawing KITT

Post by Knight2000 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:25 am

I always start from the windscreen and draw the rest of KITT from there. Maybe I'll try some of the techniques mentioned.

I can draw the dash really well and can do every little detail, since I've paused eps of KITT and drawn sketches for my computer version.

Thanks for your help.

knightrider_ni
Operative

Drawing KITT

Post by knightrider_ni » Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:21 pm

where's AKAsadArticle? i have a few of her pictures she drew of KITT, and they are amazing!! they are comic-book-style pictures and have so much incredible character in them. sarah, if you read this, can i put them up here? g'wan..... pwease?